Can't walk after Trimethoprim

Posted , 17 users are following.

I was prescribed a 3 day course of Trimethoprim for a UTI I thook the first one on a Tuesday night and buy Wednesday morning i had a numb left knee, the next day i couldn't walk, phoned my GP asking if i should contunue on the antibiotic because it seemed obvious to me that i was having a bad reaction to it. I was told to continue the course but wish i hadn't, the pain on Thursday night was unbearable in my left leg, i couldn't move it and it was hugely swollen. On Friday morning i went to hospital and was there for 5 days on more antibiotics and pain killers. it's been 5 weeks now and i still can't walk on my left leg i still have pain and it aso started in my roght hand too. Before taking Trimethoprim i was a healthy 43 year old woman with no health issues. I'm now waiting to see a Rheumatologist and am terrified my leg ownt recover.

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Dear maz68,

I had a bad experience with Trimethoprim too. I am an health woman aged 30, with no allergies. After just 2 days of treatment with Trimethoprim the muscles of my legs became stiff and I was unable to walk for several days. My doctor was very surprised of my reaction and said it had never happened before.I was very scared and I suspended immediatly the treatment. The producers do not declare that you can have these sort of problems, but as I can see here, it happens. I asked to the doctor to report my case to his colleagues.Then, I did a bit of research on my own, finding that Trimethoprim is not suggested if you are planning to conceive. It is better to wait at least 3 months after the end of treatment before to start to conceive. It Here there is the scientific paper where I took the informations. 

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ogi/2013/364526/

Best regards,

Lisa

• Posted

Hi there

Your story rang a bell. I had a very bad throat when i was 27and was prescribed Septrin. Overnight i thought i had broken my arm and wrist. Doc then gave me antihistamine as presumed i was allergic to the Septrin. The pain didnt ho but just moved in area and intensity, often mirroring both sides of my body, coming and peaking from 1-5 days. I saw rheumatology doctors for many years. The pain and suffering continued even when pregnant which they said i wouldnt have that pain. Ive taken many remedies for the past 36 years and am now 63. I have had one long period of remission when i was in my early forties but i still get pain anywhere. I call it martini arthritis. Since 2000 i have taken regular methotrexate which is the only driug which i could rely on but realise it will shorten my lifespan. I am taking sulfa salazine as well which i have previously taken in earlier years, coming off it when it was necessary. It has affected my enjoyment of life but in the main i have managed not to give in to staying in bed. If you can make the initial effort to move and recognise your own pattern of pain, then with some tablets it is manageable. I hope this is useful to anyone who reads it. These days whilst on my current medication i wake up with initial feeling of having just had an extreme session at the gym and these are the best days i can hope for. I wish you well.

• Posted

Hi Catherine, it's been some years since i started this discussion and it still amazes me that i still get comments. i'm sorry to hear of the problems you've had but smiling that you try not to let it impact on your life. I started this disscusion from pure fear of my health and wanting to know if i would ever get back to full fitness again because no doctor seemed to have an answer.The comments on here helped me a lot. 5 years later after refusing to take any other prescribed medication and stopped seeing doctors i took my own route. I juiced and ate a mainly plant based diet and got back on my feet and back on my bike and now live a pretty regular healthy lifestyle. Going from being extremely active to practically disabled from taking just a couple of Trimethoprim pills had and always will have a profound impact on me. I still have a dodgy knee, foot and hand but i'm hillwalking, cycling and running again. I'm not saying in the future i will never need medicine or a doctor but for 5  years i've avoided both by naturally medicating or in other words just living and eating my way back to health. kindest wishes, M x

• Posted

My partner was prescribed this last Sunday at Emergency out of hours dr s

He tested positive for a UTI - Usual symptoms but blood in urine and pain or urination.

After initial 2 tablets the UTI improved.

He then back really ill. Severe back pain, dreadful muscular pain, pounding head, sensitivity to light, stiff neck, loss of appetite,vomitting and unable to sleep

I sent him back to the GP and thankfully he was taken off this medication.

Thankfully within 2 days and a change in medication he is on the road to recovery.

I thankfully came across this forum and the posts re this dreadful medication.

His health was declining rapidly whilst on this medication.

It really should be banned.

• Posted

I'd like to share similar experience with you.  I was prescribed Ttimryhoptim 6 tablets  (3day course)for UTI this week end.

I have experienced fever, loss of apetite, fatigue and the pains under the right abdo and right shoulder blade go on each time the painkiller pills go off. 

I have another 2 Trim... pills to swallow tonight and tomorrow morning and I notice my right foot has gone numb ! What good if I call 111 for side effects.

I don't know whether the GP was right to give me this vicious medicine, he only tested the urine sample and immediately said antibiotics for UTI.

I

• Posted

Hi there, from my own observations it seems this drug should not be the first resort with a UTI. Thankfully you read some of these entries and i hope you found it useful. My current GP commented he had not prescribed this for years and its recorded on my notes not to give to me.. all the best for your recovery.

C

• Posted

I realised that this thread is quite old now but thought I would add my experience, which is similar to all of yours. I was prescribed this drug for a UTI and had side effects from the first tablet. Initially these included nausea, terrible headache, stomach ache, itching all over, painful hands and flu-like aches, particularly in my back. I stopped taking them after the fourth one. The nausea, headache and stomach ache stopped but two days later I developed a horrible rash all over my body which is insandely itchy, particularly on the palms of my hands and soles of my feet.  My joints are agony, particularly on the right side, with the worst being my fingers, wrists, right knee (cannot bend) and right ankle (can't put any pressure on it). My thumbs and first two fingers on both hands keep going numb, and I have no grip at all.  And the whites of my eyes are bright red - I look like something out of The Walking Dead (and am walking like it too).I am seeing the doctor tomorrow who said that my symptoms were 'not normal'.  Reading online, I'd say that's exactly what they are for this drug.

I had a pretty much identical reaction to a drug I was prescribed for a UTI almost 30 years.  That drug was septrin, which I believe is not used in the UK much if at all now because of the problems with it. One of the ingredients in septrin is trimethoprim, so I should never have been given it in the first place.  It says on my medical records that I am alllergic.  I've learnt from this, always google any medication to see what you are getting.  This is the fourth time I have been given this drug despite it being on the front of my medical file and highlighted (after the third time it was given to me).

For UK readers, you can report side effects to drugs to the MHRA on this site https://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/  I would really urge you all to do so.

• Posted

Hi Sarah, I'm in the U.K. (Sheffield to be precise) and after having an adverse reaction to cipro and ending up in A&E I'm now on trimethroprim! I'm 8 days into a 14 day course and my legs are like jelly (so much so that I've booked to see a neurologist this week). I'm unclear whether it's the cipro that has messed me up or if it's the trimethroprim I'm still taking or if I've actually got some horrendous illness that is causing weakness in my legs. To be honest I'm scared. The reaction to cipro was so horrendous and was like having a pancreatitis or gall bladder attack mixed in with mania and central nervous system overload and twitching and shaking. Anyway, now I'm playing a horrible waiting game to finish the trimethroprim and see this neurologist. 

May I ask how you're doing now and if you've fully recovered? Cheers Richard 

• Posted

Hi Richard,

Sorry to hear you are suffering like this - I feel your pain! If it makes you feel any better I have made a complete recovery but it took a few weeks to get back to any semblance of normality.  Like you i was actually really scared as I thought I might have permanent damage to my joints. They seem ok now though. I can't believe they're still giving out cipro - that stuff is awful.  From what I now know about both, your symptoms could be down to either drug. I hope you'll feel a little better having heard that I fully recovered afterwards - I'm sure you will too.  I can tell you that I won't be taking antibiotics again unless I'm at death's door!  My infection didn't go away after taking them anyway, and this was my third lot in two months.  I went the natural route in the end and it cleared up and hasn't been back since.  Let me know how you get on, Sarah

• Posted

Hi all, I was prescribed trimethoprim for a UTI and not only did it not take away the uti, which then spread to my kidneys, by the 4th day of taking it I felt a pain in my left knee. GP said it wasn't related and I took another days course. 2 days later I was in agony with my left knee unable to walk and was couch bound for a week. 4 weeks down the line I'm still in crutches, off my work and both knees impacted. Very painful to walk so cant leave the house. One GP did think it was an allergic reaction but another telling me I have gout which I am very dubious about. Looking at gout it doesn't fit in with my lifestyle apart from fish consumption and being overweight. Gout medication now finished and still I am no better. I am worried I will be in crutches for a long time?

• Posted

Hi L-A,

Sorry to hear you're going through the same hell as a few of us here have been through. I was laid up totally for 3 weeks, the pain was then just about manageable but took 12 months to feel relatively normal and even now I still get pain in my left ankle. This medication should be removed from the market because, as far as I'm concerned, even one person having an adverse affect as bad as we've had is one too many. I hope you recover swiftly.

• Posted

Thanks Ladyrara, I'm 5 weeks in still on painkillers and crutches. GP does now believe this all started with those awful antibiotics. I just cant wait to get better to get my life back. I will be very cautious to now ever take antibiotics again

• Posted

Hi L-A

Sorry you are going through this horrible time but you will get back on your feet it just takes time.

5 years ago when the same thing happened to me i was told i had everything from gout to arthritis.

I got fed up of them just trying to push more drugs on me and just stopped seeing doctors and taking any medication and i haven't seen a doctor since.

I'm not suggesting you do the same but stay positive, this thread shows how recovery does come after time. X

• Posted

Did you know that UTIs are often caused by impingement of sacral nerve roots?   If you are having difficulty walking due to calf weakness, read about the tests for S1 on Dr Corenman's web site and do them. I would be interested to know how you get on.

I have also found some antibiotics such as Nitrofurantoin and Ciprofloxacin.  I think it may be true of several more antibiotics.   Research in other countries has suggested these antibiotics can cause neuropathy which I think is inflamed nerves and it could explain a thing or two.

I have raised this with my GP and consultants who appear not to recognise this might be possible.

There is a yellow card process to flag these type  of incidents with NICE which your GP should tell you about. 

• Posted

Just to say I felt it important to report via the yellow card process. The more people do the stronger our voice in getting the dreadful drug removed.

Best to all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.