Can't walk after Trimethoprim

Posted , 17 users are following.

I was prescribed a 3 day course of Trimethoprim for a UTI I thook the first one on a Tuesday night and buy Wednesday morning i had a numb left knee, the next day i couldn't walk, phoned my GP asking if i should contunue on the antibiotic because it seemed obvious to me that i was having a bad reaction to it. I was told to continue the course but wish i hadn't, the pain on Thursday night was unbearable in my left leg, i couldn't move it and it was hugely swollen. On Friday morning i went to hospital and was there for 5 days on more antibiotics and pain killers. it's been 5 weeks now and i still can't walk on my left leg i still have pain and it aso started in my roght hand too. Before taking Trimethoprim i was a healthy 43 year old woman with no health issues. I'm now waiting to see a Rheumatologist and am terrified my leg ownt recover.

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You should also consider asking your GP if you could see a Uro Neurologist like Mr Panicker at UCLH.   I have found him to be very thoughtful and helpful.   
    • Posted

Hi

I have most of the posts related to this medication and am on high alert of  the side effects.  Following attending Urgent Care I was prescribed Trimethoprim a  5 day x2 daily course. The first 2 tablets 1) taken in the afternoon and 2) at night; I woke with cramp in my abominal region, feeling shakey and so scared and took paracetamol to help with the pain. Not what I had expected!!

So reading again all the side-effects sypmtoms and posts I really would like to know how many of the outlined side effects people have had. I am so worried to continue on with the medication vs clearing UTI.

Particularly - weight loss as I have been experiencing weight loss I dont want to lose more or indeed develop loss of appetite.

Itching and rash (slight itching has started), headache, (first evening of taking it). But the side effects listed are much more as well as others which have been experienced by the posts that sound so horrendous.

itching and rash

diarrhea,

nausea,

vomiting,

stomach upset,

loss of appetite,

changes in taste,

headache,

skin sensitivity to sunlight,

swollen tongue, and

fever.

Whilst feeling unwell and needing all the support and recovery possible we dont need medications that are supposed to one thing causing further problems for us.

• Posted

I would not stop taking the antibiotics. A UTI can rapidly spead to your kidneys, cause pneumonia and sepsis.   

The side effects are much more minor albeit painful.

You definitely need to go back to your GP and ask for the incident to be reported to NICE.  That way it is reported and your are covered in a way.

• Posted

One more thing, being given the right antibiotic could be important.

A lot of UTIs are resistant to one or more antibiotics. You should be given a microbiology test to cover this.

• Posted

I've not had another infection or seen a GP or taken any medication for nearly 7 years.

I changed my diet and have never been fitter

• Posted

That's how it was for me - one infection at 21, a few in my thirties - then constant in my sixties

• Posted

Hi just another updatemail

This morning I woke to findo I now have a painful site on the side of my inner right foot whichealth so painful to bare weight on.This was not there yesterday.??? My left has also been bothe ring me feeling strained and pressured weird, and also intermittent shortness of breath

I plan speak to my GP first thing in the morning as I believe this are side effects undoubtedly from thevery tablets.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.