Can we have patient modesty ?

Posted , 14 users are following.

I'm male, in 50s. Went for a urological procedure and had to take everything off and don gown. So far, so good. Lay on examination table, told doctor was coming and had gown pushed up to neck so am bare from shoulders down to everyone on my team- included 3 women- and everyone else in the large operating theatre- at least another half dozen women plus some blokes.

Doctor didn't come and I said to one of the women on my team that it was uncomfortable to have about nine women looking at my exposed genitals.. Oh we've seen it all before is the stock answer. Well it hasn't reduced your interest is what you think because they were looking at me very openly and obviously I thought.

So, what' importance is put on helping out patients who aren't used to casual baring of private parts in publlc ?v Why can't we have some screening or al least draping. Better things for NHS to spend money on? Medical staff- male & female- seem very casual about modesty. Perhaps they should try lying on a slab nude while the room looks at them !

1 like, 82 replies

82 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well if they giving Mr Happy a good look maybe that's a good sign. With me they would just be trying to stifle their laughter

• Posted

Hospitals should take male nurses out of the women's wards and put them in the men"s wards.

• Posted

What needs to happen in the US is the medical community needs to accept the fact that men want their dignity respected & their privacy respected just as much as women. There is no such thing as gender neutral anymore.

The way they do this is to encourage men to enter the field the same way they do women.

Offer incentives for men to enter urology so we get the privacy we deserve.

It's time for the American healthcare system to crap & get off the pot & fix the mess they've caused.

Regards,

Raffie

• Posted

Right is right if nobody is doing it. Wrong is wrong if everybody is doing it.
  • Posted

When I was in the hospital I wore a sleeveless gown with my back and but showing .
    • Posted

Hi Donald:

The least the medical community could do is give their patient's a pajama bottom to wear. Especially if the area below the waist is not why they are there.

They show every day how little they care about a patient's dignity. sad

Regards,

Raffie.

• Edited

I should have asked for a male nurse when i had the first urinary catheter put in .I lost my modesty.I decided I had to get my modesty back.No more females seeing me without my pants on.
  • Edited

Why do female nurses bathe or dress a male patient when the patient can do them himself
    • Edited

Hello Donald:

I forgot to ask, are you in the states like myself?

The reason they bathe & dress patient's even when the patient is perfectly capable of doing it themselves is because it's a power trip for them and bathing their male patient's is just another way to humiliate them and in their mind keep you under their thumb.

Female nurses are masters at playing mind games with their male patient's IF the gentlemen doesn't take control of the situation from the beginning.

If you are capable, just say NO THANK YOU, I'll do it myself. If she's insistent, elevate the situation, ask for her supervisor.

Worse case don't bathe that day. They can't make you do something you don't want to do. It's your body and you alone have the final say as to what will & will not happen to it.

Regards,

Raffie

• Posted

Do you think after losing my modesty and regaining it I should lose it again?
  • Posted

Medical personal should respect patients religious beliefs about modesty.
    • Posted

I agree with you Donald.

Here in the states there is the All of Us Research Program, led by the National Institutes of Health.

To help bring more awareness to the issue of modest men walking away from needed healthcare, Reginald posted a question on the forum in hopes of bringing more attention to the issues and opening a dialogue with the healthcare industry to better protect a man's dignity and his privacy.

The question asked was. Would same-gender care increase the utilization of health care by men in the US?

Here's a link to the website for anyone who want to check it out.

https://allofusresearchpriorities.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Would-same-gender-care-increase-the-utilization-of-health-care-by-men-in-the-US/195301-44880#idea-tab-comments

Regards,

Raffie

• Posted

Good Morning Donald:

Misty has done some great work over on that sight. She fights for both men and women. She's like a pit bull.

There is a Dr. Maurice Bernstein who teaches 1st & 2nd year medical students out in California.  He has a blog called patient modesty. Currently it's up to volume 83.

It's mostly men that come to the site & talk about their experiences with the US medical community but at times, women are brave enough to stop by & talk.

Here's the link.

https://bioethicsdiscussion.blogspot.com/2017/12/patient-modesty-volume-83.html

Archie Banterings is attempting to get the word out via twitter also. Here's his link.

https://twitter.com/MadmanBantering

Bob Underhill wrote an article "Why Men Patients are Forced to Man Up in the Medical Setting" it's posted on Dr. Linda Girgis MD website.

http://drlinda-md.com/2016/11/men-patients-forced-man-medical-setting/

If the healthcare industry thinks this is going to go away, they are sadly mistaken and the longer they take to address the issue, the harder it will be on them.

As more men realize that no matter the medical situation they are in, that they and they alone have the final say as to who will & will not see them intimately, then more voices can & will be heard.

It's slow right now, but the ball is rolling. And it will continue to roll until all the pins have dropped.

Regards,

Raffie

• Posted

Raffie,

​Thanks for your positive feedback! You are right that Medical Patient Modesty fights for both men and women. I appreciate all of the insights you have contributed to this discussion. 

Misty 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.