Can you die from mirtazapine withdrawal?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi I'm a bit scared and I don't know whether it's because my anxiety is so high but is it possible to die from Mirt withdrawal! I was on 45mg for some weeks increased from 15mg! And I have decided the drug isn't for me after speaking with doc etc I reduced dose down to 30mg for a week and then to 15mg for three days and yesterday after speaking with doc I have decided I just want to stop this awful drug now! I also take 10mg of citalopram which was increased to 20mg yesterday! The doc said its up to me if I want to stop it! I just don't like being on two drugs together! So last night was the first time not taking Mirt and I slept fine apart from some sweats but today I feel really anxious and I'm scared that I'm going to die because I've stopped the Mirt! All in all I've been taking Mirt for around three months now! I've had to take a diazepam this morning! I'm hoping that the citalopram will kick in soon for my anxiety!! I also have bad stomach pains and feel sick is this normal??? I'm scared any advice would be great thank you I have a young baby and I'm so scared xxx

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I'm sure you can't die but may of been a bit quick. Just keep in touch with the Dr . Think there is bound to be some u please t effects but just remember they will pass . I too want to stop my  mirt as think  I am getting a bad reaction to it . Waiting for doc to ph me back as no appointments  I forgot one tablet one day and nausea bad head and chest pain  hope all goes well 
    • Posted

I'm just feeling really anxious and I'm panicking myself! There has got to have been a lot of people who have stopped this med cold turkey xxx
    • Posted

Feel for you I am going to try the 10% method and really dreading it but hop this works 
    • Posted

I am so eager to get off this drug now and I have got down to 15mg I'm hoping I will be able to rough it out! I'm hoping that the increase in the citalopram will kick in soon and help my anxiety!

At the moment my stomach hurts i have headaches and dizziness and feelings anxious! If the anxiety goes away with the help of the citalopram I can rough out the physical symptoms! I just really want to be off this drug and on the road to recovery! I'm due back to work in November after having my son and I'm panicking that I'm not going to feel better!! XXXX

• Posted

Hi Charlotte,

please speak to someone at your practice this morning, I'm pretty certain it's your anxiety not the mirtazipine but you need some assurance from a medical person who knows you.

• Posted

I think it is my anxiety I'm just so anxious and feel really panicky it's awful xxx
  • Posted

Please don't withdraw cold turkey,it can take up to 10 ten days before the withdrawal symptoms kick in,I withdrew cold turkey from 7.5,please listen to Jill,drop by 10% please don't worry you won't diie but if you go cold turkey you re running the risk of feeling very very poorly,you could be feeling the effects of dropping from 30 to 15 x
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply!

I really want to come off this drug now I have got down to 15mg and I do have a bad stomach and heightened anxiety and a bit of dizziness but I'm hoping that the increase in the citalopram will help my anxiety and some of the unpleasant withdrawal!

How did you feel going cold turkey?

Xxxxxx

• Posted

I will tell you honestly as I m a little worried that you are withdrawing to quickly.I felt terrible the firs ten days after I stopped I felt fine,then I woke up at midnight,shaking in a hot sweat,anxiety through the roof,then,I never slept more than 3 hours for weeks,I couldn't eat I felt so sick,anxiety was so high,I had weird thoughts like my brain couldn't think,I ached all over.i would say it took at least 3 months before I felt human again. I m not saying this to alarm you,but you have a baby to look after.Yes this drug does help a lot of people,but  it is a hell of a ride to come off cold turkey. please think about carrying on and come down slowly,I know everyone is different and will react differently,and at the end of the day it's your decision x
  • Posted

Mirtazapine is not an awful drug.  It helps thousands of people.

Taking two drugs together is very effective for many people.  You have the opportunity - but are throwing it away.

You are coming off mirt at the same time as starting on citalopram.  I am not surprised you are having severe side effects. Perhaps you are doing both too quickly. 

I think the higher dose of citalopram will help you but you have to give it time. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply old boy!

I am sorry if I offended you in anyway I did not mean too! I understand that this drug works wonders for people and it did for me too after having my son I was unable to sleep and this was a godsend! I just feel that being on two medications together isn't right for me and I'm hoping that I can ride out the withdrawal symptoms!

I'm hoping that the increase in the citalopram will kick in soon enough and will help my anxiety and most of the withdrawal symptoms! I have been on the citalopram now for four weeks at 10mg which was increased to 20mg yesterday xx

• Posted

You did not offend me at all.

I think you are wrong about not being on two medications.  I found that SSRIs (eg citalopram, sertraline) were very effective against anxiety but gave me insomnia. The low dose of mirt lets me sleep.    

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Charlotte

Sorry to read of your suffering.  Having a small child to look after and trying to wd from Mirt' I think you may need a little tlc, compassion and kindness, from us all.  

I agree with fudgeybear, it is unwise to just STOP taking Mirt, what you are experiencing now are the withdrawal effects of suddenly stopping Mirt, the effects every one of us dreads.  I'm no medic, but I can't see that Citalopram is going to help with these effects as it is another AD and not a sedative.  Rest assured in the knowledge that if you want to take just a little step back, restart the Mirt at 30 mg & stay on until you stabilise again, for now, and ask advice for the slow wd method on this forum.

It's up to you, but it's there if you want it.  I too took Citalopram with Mirt' - it's not dangerous - I ran with these 2 for several months before slowly withdrawing from Citalopram.

Bear in mind that wd can take up to 2 weeks to kick in, that is why it is advisable to take small drops in dosage every 2 to 3 weeks (or so) and wait to see if there is a reaction, but I see you went from 45 to 30 for a week, then 15 mg for 3 days then off.  

Best to keep in touch with your doctor, that horrid anx' that you are feeling, stomach cramps, nausea etc, all nasty wd effects.  

I hope you get some relief soon, I'm starting my wd programme today which will be no more than a 10% drop (of the 15 mg I'm taking) for 2 to 3 weeks, just for a little comparison which may help you slightly, maybe. 

Wishing you well  x

• Posted

Hi Charlotte, 

Don't worry you are only feeling anxiety right now. I will echo what Fudgeybear says and I wouldn't recommend coming off cold turkey. I stopped cold turkey on 15mg and it was hell. I know how you are feeling, I would wake up every day feeling suicidal or terrified. It's just the withdrawal. Always remember that, I know it is hard but eventually you will feel better. I have recovered from withdrawal and I am here to tell the tale smile

• Posted

Thank you for your reply sandy! Did you do it cold turkey or did you end up back on the tablets? I'm hoping that as I have gone from 45mg to 15mg that I shouldn't be too bad now! I have a really upset stomach and feel sick and my anxiety is bad! I did stop taking the Mirt last night and I'm hoping not to take it tonight! I really don't want to go back on the Mirt I'm hoping that in a few days the increase in the citalopram will start to work on the anxiety xxxx I really want to feel that I'm strong enough to fight the withdrawal and knowing that it isn't going to kill me makes me feel a bit better xxx
    • Posted

I went cold turkey and never went back on the stuff. Mirt actually helped me quite a lot, but the withdrawal was horrible. If you do go cold turkey, keep in mind that you will have days where you feel as if you will never get better and then days where you feel like you have recovered. You will be better and you will get past it. The hardest part for me was remembering that I wouldn't feel like this forever, but it will go away and you will feel better. The stomach issues lasted a little longer than the anxiety but they eventually cleared up as well. Good luck, if you need to talk just send me a message smile
    • Posted

Hi Sandy

Interesting to read your story, thanks for sharing.  How long would you say it took for the withdrawal effects to clear up?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.