Can you die from mirtazapine withdrawal?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi I'm a bit scared and I don't know whether it's because my anxiety is so high but is it possible to die from Mirt withdrawal! I was on 45mg for some weeks increased from 15mg! And I have decided the drug isn't for me after speaking with doc etc I reduced dose down to 30mg for a week and then to 15mg for three days and yesterday after speaking with doc I have decided I just want to stop this awful drug now! I also take 10mg of citalopram which was increased to 20mg yesterday! The doc said its up to me if I want to stop it! I just don't like being on two drugs together! So last night was the first time not taking Mirt and I slept fine apart from some sweats but today I feel really anxious and I'm scared that I'm going to die because I've stopped the Mirt! All in all I've been taking Mirt for around three months now! I've had to take a diazepam this morning! I'm hoping that the citalopram will kick in soon for my anxiety!! I also have bad stomach pains and feel sick is this normal??? I'm scared any advice would be great thank you I have a young baby and I'm so scared xxx

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

What I have read from other forums about mirt WD is that the drop from 15 down to 7.5 and 0 was the hardest, worst part, and many couldn't take it, reinstating up to at least 15 mg.  It is known to be one of the more bruttal ones to get off of, along with Effexor - lucky me, I'm on both!  You ARE experiencing WD, not "your anxiety."  Be careful, because a lot of docs don't understand WD, say it's a relapse, and add more drugs to treat the WD symptoms or side effects of other meds, and next thing you know, you are poly-drugged and still feeling horrid! 

Do not feel bad if you need to reinstate the mirt and begin a slow 10% taper.  There is nothing wrong with minimizing harm, and when you are suffering horrible WD symptoms, that IS harm!  I have been doing 10% cuts and even then feel WD symptoms.  Today I am in a wave of it.  No two people's experience is the same.  Some are able to jump off with no trouble, while others suffer from going cold turkey for many months.  

I am worried that your doc is chasing the WD symptoms with the other med, increasing it.  My understanding is that when you are WDing from one drug, no other drug will really stop that process, so best to do it slowly and gently so as to minimize the WD symptoms.  You don't want to be stuck with having to taper back down off the other drug because you went up so high and it still didn't help!

I was unknowingly in Effexor WD when my doc put me on mirt, and before I knew it I was up at almost the highest dose and still miserable!  So, he reinstated the Effexor and now I'm on two drugs rather than one!  I can't just stop the mirt due to WD, so very frustrating position to be in!

I wish you a successful journey!

• Posted

There is nothing wrong with being on two drugs if they work together.

An SSRI or SNRI with mirtazapine is recognised as being very effective. 

• Posted

That is true, oldboy.  If the patient is happy with the results, then that's fine.  I have read too many stories, though, of docs not understanding that patients are having untolerable side effects from a drug and so they add another drug to treat the side effect symptom and so on.  Before they know it, they are polydrugged.  Mirt was not working for me at nearly the highest dose and the Effexor was reinstated, so I am tapering the mirt.
  • Posted

I too need reassurance as I'm currently reducing Mirtazapine. Anxiety is pretty high, especially in the mornings, but seems to ease off around early evening. Nausea, can't eat much at all during day etc etc. But it's the anxiety that's causing me most grief. So so scared at times. I actually had a tummy bug six weeks ago, and I think it irritated my stomach cos I've had IBS-like symptoms ever since the bug. Now got into vicious cycle of anxiety and loose stools. Cannot see an end to it. Any help/advice appreciated
    • Posted

Hi Sadie

Sorry for your suffering, the anxiety with withdrawal can be extremely frightening, remembering IT WILL PASS, and saying this over & over may help.  

I wonder if you might get a better response on this forum if you start a new discussion as this whole thread has been running with a morbid title - just a thought Sadie.

What dosage are you on and how long for, and how are you withdrawing ??  The reason ask is that it makes a big difference to your anx' if you wd too quickly.

I too am withdrawing, very slowly, after a year on 15 mg Mirt' - 

Perhaps answer here or start a new thread asking for advice, either way i'll pick you up on one or the other.

Wishing you well

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.