Can you live a normal life with a hiatus hernia?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am a 36 year old woman, I weigh about 11 stone and I am a stay at home mum to 3 children. I have suffered with excess acid for about 10 years now. The doctor put me on lansoprazole which I have been taking everyday. Everything was going fine until I was put under a lot of stress due to some family issues. I started to get very bad acid reflux which I don't normally suffer from, only have acid in stomach. I also have a really bad pain in between my shoulder blades. Gp referred me to gastroentologist who performed an endoscopy. She confirmed a sliding hiatus hernia, 4 cms. She said it has been there a while, it is not new. I don't know how she knows that. Any way I am in so much pain that all I can think of is to have the surgery which is what she has recommended. What is stopping me is that, if I have had the HH for a while, I have lived a normal life. I know I am lansoprazole but I could eat what I wanted apart from spices. I could eat how much I wanted, when I wanted.  I don't drink or smoke but I love my food. At the moment everything gives me heartburn but I am hoping that it will slowly repair itself or is this wishful thinking. If I have the surgery there still may be a chance that I won't be able to enjoy my food. I would love to hear your different opinions.

thanks Nancy

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I also have a hiatus hernia so they say. But they've put me on Dexilant and Sucralfate 1GM daily. Ask your Gastroentiologist about them. The Sucralfate coats your stomach  preventing the acid from coming back up. While the Deilant helps the stomach reduce the acid it produces. These have been the only things that have worked for me. I realize everyone is different though. I've tried Nexium and others that didn't seem to help, Good luck to you. 

Mack.

• Posted

I am on 30 mgs lansoprazole which I know works for me. The new tablets the doctor prescribed didn't work. I have today decided to increase to 60mgs as I have burning in my stomach and am only eating oatmeal, pasta, chicken. Hopefully I will see some improvement
    • Posted

Taking Manuka honey before meals puts a coating on your esophagus that prevents the burning. In my case it worked but put my blood glucose way up. 
    • Posted

Yes I use Manuka honey and have for years - UMF 15 - but sparingly - I know it can heal ulcers - also can heal burns cuts etc - but the sugar in it is a problem.
  • Posted

I have been suffering of reflux for 1year now, it has been almost constant. So far been treated with drugs but am starting to consider a surgery as well.

I have just started by research on it, but so far I have read the having a fundoplication can make it impossible to vomit.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

• Posted

Have you heard of Carafate and Dexilant. They've done wonders for me. I had Silent Reflux for 6 years and nothing seem to work except those. Good Luck
    • Posted

Reda the free www DownWithAcid org uk book/website.

As for fundo making it impossible to vomit, it's not true.

For the first 2 or 3 weeks after a fundo, whilst the scar tissue repairs, because it's inelastic, vommiting could be difficult. But 95% of those who had Laparoscopic Nissen Fundolication 20 years ago are pleased they did.

• Posted

I I have heard that people find it hard to burp and be sick but I have also heard that some people have no problems. This is one of the questions I will be asking my gastroentologist at my next appointment.
    • Posted

A consultant said when I asked about the procedure, Fancy never being able to belch or be sick ever again.
    • Posted

What was he a consultant in and where did he qualify?

He is obviously rather ignorant of the procedure - and definitely not a surgeon!

From NICE Option Grid (see Appendix 2 of www DownWithAcid org uk book/website): "Problems after the surgery are common, but resolve after a few days. These can include temporary difficulty in swallowing in up to 50 in every 100 people (50%), shoulder pain in roughly 60 in every 100 people (60%), and problems with belching in up to 85 in every 100 people (85%)."

• Posted

He was a British consultant in gastroenterology at a major Scottish hospital.
    • Posted

Welll if you meet him again, give him a copy of the NHS Option Grid.

Most gastroenterologists are medics rather surgeons. They like to use medicine whereas for mechanical problems, surgery may be better.

It may cost more in the short term but ovr the patient's life may actually save if they don't need medication.

There are few really good gastro consults in Scotland that I know of, apart from Grant Fullerton at Glasgow. Unfortunately most of the best gastros are in South England.

• Posted

He actually referred me to a professor in surgery who was of the same opinion. As it was over twelve years ago and I no longer live in Scotland I will not be seeing him and he may be retired by now.
  • Posted

I've found out about a new kind of surgery for reflux, it's the Linx implant, currently trying to find out more about it.

Haven't found much online, so I think I will be writing to the company how makes the device, anyhow it seems less radical then the fundoplication and that's a big plus for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.