Can you live a normal life with a hiatus hernia?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am a 36 year old woman, I weigh about 11 stone and I am a stay at home mum to 3 children. I have suffered with excess acid for about 10 years now. The doctor put me on lansoprazole which I have been taking everyday. Everything was going fine until I was put under a lot of stress due to some family issues. I started to get very bad acid reflux which I don't normally suffer from, only have acid in stomach. I also have a really bad pain in between my shoulder blades. Gp referred me to gastroentologist who performed an endoscopy. She confirmed a sliding hiatus hernia, 4 cms. She said it has been there a while, it is not new. I don't know how she knows that. Any way I am in so much pain that all I can think of is to have the surgery which is what she has recommended. What is stopping me is that, if I have had the HH for a while, I have lived a normal life. I know I am lansoprazole but I could eat what I wanted apart from spices. I could eat how much I wanted, when I wanted.  I don't drink or smoke but I love my food. At the moment everything gives me heartburn but I am hoping that it will slowly repair itself or is this wishful thinking. If I have the surgery there still may be a chance that I won't be able to enjoy my food. I would love to hear your different opinions.

thanks Nancy

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

OK silly question but has anyone ever tried the stomach massage and the water technique?
  • Posted

I have had a hiatal hernia for about 5 years now. I didn't know I had one till about a year ago. When it comes to learning to live with one I am still in that process now. I am much better now that I know what I have. Maybe this can help someone else but I am going to tell you what I went through including symptoms (current and past) that I have from it so that hopefully it won't cause the anxiety I developed from it lol.

For me all my symptoms started about 5 years ago when all of a sudden after drinking coffee I would develope what felt like a lump in the bottom of my throat (in the neck area). Shortly after that I started developing a very full feeling after drinking coffee. Many times I would feel so full that I would skip a meal just because I didn't feel hungry.

From there I started developing muscles in my neck starting to tighten. Like as if they were cramping. That went on for a few years

Now about 2 years ago I started to develop chest pains. This caused me to land myself in the ER about 6 times thinking I am having a heart attack. I started developing the anxiety I have now from this. It would freak me out. Every time I went to the ER I would get an EKG, Blood work and everything came back healthy. I was driving me crazy.

Finally about 9 months ago I went to a gastro and he found my hiatal hernia. Once I did my own research on it everything makes sense now. Luckily once I found out what I have 99% of my anxiety left, but there is that 1% that slips in once in a while when I start feeling weird in my chest. I just have to tell myself I am fine, take a ant-acid and go on my day.

So just in case someone reads this with similar issues and thinks they are going crazy...your not. And if you have not seen a gastro go see one, it doesn't hurt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.