Can you still see a full moon?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Thought of this last night.  I’m having surgery in a couple hours.  I guess it’s too late now. LOL. 

Does the Synfony Lens implant make it impossible to ever look at a full moon again due to halos????

Mike

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The moon will not look the same; there will be halos. I got a symfony lens in my first eye. I then decided  I couldn't tolerate it in both eyes, never being able to see without the halos. So I got a toric monofocal for distance in the second eye 6 weeks ago. I'm doing well. I rarely use readers due to the symfony lens. My distance is 20/10 in both eyes. I'm very glad I made a decision to have ony one symfony. I am seeing my surgeon today for a 6 week follow-up. I think I will adjust completely, but I intend to discuss with him the possiblity of explantation of the synfony in 6 months or so. Good luck!

• Posted

If you are asking if I see the concentric circles around the moon answer is no.  The wolf moon the other night is as beautiful.  

This is a question I have asked my husband and neighbors who don’t have cataracts or cataract surgery.  Depending on sky conditions sometimes it seems moon is backlit with a blue/purplish colour next to moon and another wider band of white/yellow colour.  Other nights there is no backlight but edges are a bit blurry. As I try and explain what I am seeking to my husband & neighbours they say they see same thing.

The wolf moon just after dusk when moon was low in the sky - I had no none of the aforementioned backlighting or blurry edge.  It was perfectly sharp and crisp.  

I play the game with people real or not real (like Katniss with Peta in Hunger Games) as I don’t sometimes know.

With cataracts moon looked worse.  I had 6 weeks between surgeries so would compare the 2 eyes a lot - moon included.

I know the concentric circles are not real and part of Symfony Lens design.  Rest for me anyways is pretty close to normal.  I think that slight blurring of light on dark background may be not real and due to IOL too.

I think the closer your target is achieved you have less nighttime artifacts.  (Exception concentric circles).

It is a trade-off only you can decide.  

Best wishes for your surgery.  If you are uncertain - delay the surgery till you are.

• Posted

With cataracts I see rainbow halo around the moon.  This hallow appears and disappears.  Has got to do something with pupil dilation.
    • Posted

That is a good way to describe it - muted rainbow.  Not always there though around the moon.  Tends to be on nights a bit hazier (high humidity).  But others see those colours around the moon too (who don’t have cataracts or IOLs).    
    • Posted

Soks - i can’t include links but if you google lunar halo or moon bow this is pretty much what I see.  This to me does indicate that this lunar halo phenomenon is observed by more than just IOL eyes.
    • Posted

For me with a symfony in one eye and a toric monofocal in the other, it is clear that there is a difference with the symfony. When I look through the symfony eye, the moon becomes a bit blurry sort of in a gelatinous cloud. Not unpleasant. But not what I see with the monofocal.

The bigger issue is the starbursts from headlight and streetlights. I am glad to have the opportuity to check on what I am seeing and what is introduced by the symfony. 

• Posted

Although I had 6 weeks between my surgeries cataracts in both eyes did affect my vision - glare being a factor. Not discounting that perhaps what I see now is just so much better than when I had cataracts - reason for game I play with myself real or not real.

Although the big wolf moon last week was so sharp - not a single halo at all!

Having light coloured eyes glare has always been an issue.  Wear sunglasses year round - winter often my worst season.

I did have strong glare after my surgeries - was scared to drive and carefully planned my routes to avoid unlit roads.  That is no longer an issue for me. as glare and starbursts have diminished a lot.  Drive everywhere without a second thought.  Only annoyance is with those blue/white new headlights which everyone dislikes (except those behind the wheel).   They should be banned.

Happy you have find a solution that works.  I won’t be explanting my Symfony lenses.  For me they have worked out.  i think there are many possible solutions that would satisfy people.  My one concern is that surgeons/doctors are not taking the time to go over the pros and cons and trade-offs. Pardon the pun but blindsiding individuals with the after affects once done is not professional (I wonder if it is the greed factor) for some.

• Posted

I see the lunar halo since getting the cataracts.  My wife (no cataracts) see the rainbow halos around the lights but not the moon.  I did not see any rainbows before the cataracts,
    • Posted

Wish there was some way of seeing what another person sees.  It’s like eye witnesses.  Same incident occurred but all of us would recount it differently from our perspective.

I sympathize with those of you for which these halos are intolerable.  

• Posted

If we found a way to see what other person sees then that would be cure for blindness.
    • Posted

Love your reply, can see the optimism in every linesmile  

My right eye was done today and I am currently in the can't see a thing dilated mode!

Mike

• Posted

I do remember that.  Kind of glad I was given an Ativan (I was so incredibly nervous).   Didn’t think just the eye numbing drops would be enough.   

Sleep it off.  I was able to see quite clearly 24 hours later - fingers crossed you will be seeing well tomorrow.  If not don’t worry.  Everyone’s eyes heal at a different pace.  For some can take a few weeks. Really depends on swelling.

Forgot to ask did you have laser assisted surgery?

• Posted

Hi Mike,

im sorry to report that looking at the night sky is one of my biggest disappointments.  The moon and stars will never be the same.  

Good of luck with your siurgery. 

• Posted

Hi Janko

Google lunar halos - the images are what I see (but not every night).  Just found an article about this type of lunar halo.

Would be curious to see if this is what you see.  Here are highlights of article as I can’t post a link

“Observers around the UK snapped images of a 'moon ring' Monday night

The amazing phenomenon occurs when light from the moon reflects off ice crystals in the atmosphere

The light refracts at 22° in the ice, so the eye only sees the ring of light around the moon - and not elsewhere

Different colours also refract differently - so the inside of the ring appears red, and the outside is blue

The phenomenon is often said to warn of an approaching storm front - although that's not entirely true “

• Posted

Hi Sue An,

i witnessed this phenomenon last week while at the beach.  But with the Symfony lenses, in addition to the lunar rings I see halos and the never disappearing concentric circles.  

From comments on this site, it seems some are able to adjust and accept the halos, starbursts and circles.  I for one have not.  It has been almost 4 months.  I’m still hoping it will subside.   

• Posted

I envy you being near the beach.  We have had temps in the mid -30s (-25 Fahrenheit).  So cold!

I wish I knew if it was a brain adjustment thing or having to do with how close the lens power was achieved.

I absolutely see concentric circles around certain light sources but not all light sources - not around the moon for sure.   

If you don’t mind my asking what is your current prescription (or have you been to an optometrist) ?   My surgeries too were just over 4 months ago (2nd eye done Aug 21).  Went to optometrist 4 weeks ago and this is my new prescription:

Right and left eye are plano (0D) for distance. CYL right eye is 025 and left is 050.  Axis for right is 105 and left is 65

although I could read J1 at 14 inches (good lighting ) optometrist have me a prescription for readers should I want those for extended periods of reading or for situations where lighting not as good.  

• Posted

Thank you for the input, I just thought of it last minute. I am sure I'll get over it.

Mike

• Posted

Yep I remember that day coming home from the surgery.

Best to take a nap until the next morning, the dilation was worn off by then and sight was much better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.