Skip to content
Ad
in this discussion +5 following
janice31 janice31

Candesartan and gastrointestinal side effects

I have been on Candesartan for a couple of years. At first I thought I was suffering from IBS, but I now wonder if my problems of wind, colicky pains and sometimes diarrhoea are in fact caused by the Candesartan. Has anyone else experienced gastrointestinal side effects? My GP will blow any suggestions I make out of the water. Also I'm not keen to try yet another blood pressure medication as I've tried so many

5 Replies

• jx41870 jx41870 janice31

Well, if you read the standard warnings for Candesartan (you can Google it on a number of sites), your symptoms are certainly listed.

​It's hard to say how many people have those symptoms, and even whether it's this drug that causes them all alone or if it only happens in combination with something else.  Drugs are just like that.

​Would another ACE inhibitor or ARB be any different?  How many have you already tried?  Maybe try some over the counter gas suppressors, see if that helps, and try to see if the other symptoms correspond to one or another food item.

• derek76 derek76 janice31

Listed as a common side effect:

Abdominal or stomach pain.

Does your BP go up at such times?

• jx41870 jx41870 derek76

derek, I don't think that having a side effect means anything about your BP, it can even be a sign that the drug is "working"!  

​It may be a sign that you might try a smaller dose, see if that still helps the BP but avoids the side effects.  No guaranty of course, but worth a try.

• annie78444 annie78444 janice31

Hi Janice,  2 YEARS?? see your doctor.  i started on losartan and was ready to give up after not even 3 days seriously horrible time, but one is supposed to wait a few days for side effects to calm, luckily it is gone now. Dangerous to go on for  weeks,  can lead to serious dehydration, in the side effects listed on line as others say -  may have to stop if long term, could lead to electrolyte imbalances. ... some ARBs worse, see on the medical news re Olmersartan medoxomil

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

Already approved

You can't report this, it's already been approved by a moderator.

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.