Candesartan and gastrointestinal side effects

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have been on Candesartan for a couple of years. At first I thought I was suffering from IBS, but I now wonder if my problems of wind, colicky pains and sometimes diarrhoea are in fact caused by the Candesartan. Has anyone else experienced gastrointestinal side effects? My GP will blow any suggestions I make out of the water. Also I'm not keen to try yet another blood pressure medication as I've tried so many

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I stopped Candesartan because of the side-effects and am now on a diuretic, Indapamide, which has successfully lowered my blood pressure on the lowest dose. Only side-effect is having to pee once in the night

• Posted

Diuretics used to be the first drug given for BP. They did not work for me for some reason I peed less and got pelvic pain probably as I had an enlarged prostate.

Do you take it at night or morning.

• Posted

I rather take all my pills at night, so I cannot miss a dose, definitively Candesartan are not for me, Rather Coversyl, cause I take pain killers as well, you have to ask the interactions with one medication or another one when changing them again.

• Posted

Derek76 I take them in the morning. They are thiazide-like as opposed to thiazide- type so different from old diuretics, though side effects may be the same.

• Posted

hello .. a late reply but ive had loose stools diarrhoea/since ive been taking candesartan these last 5 weeks.. will make appointment with doc soon when corona virus calmed down

• Posted

I am on Benicar and am having terrible gastrointestinal problems. They started in September and were mild, but now they are painful and I am stressed out about it. I have gone to my GP, gastroenterologist and the ER twice. I have scheduled an endoscopy and colonoscopy and had them rescheduled twice by the gastro group. I finally went back to my GP, and he got the endoscopy rescheduled for this coming Tuesday with a different group of doctors. I am grateful for that because if it is the benicar, I want off of it as soon as possible.

• Posted

If your GP is blowing things out of the water it means, either the problems the medication is causing with go away over time, or because there is no foundation to say the medication is causing these issues. Either way, i am sure that time heals.

• Posted

Replying to Janice about Candesartan. I am on 8 mg daily, was on 16 mg for one year, took it down to 8 mg last 2 mos and no change in BP. 114/70. Losartan 100 mg did nothing. My only 2 side effects are looser stools a couple of times daily and dry mouth. I deal w it because my BP is perfectly controlled. I had tried Edarbi, the strongest ARB developed and it was horrendous. Diarrhea all day bp 80/50 on lowest dose cut in 4 pieces. so wanted to try strongest after this and it was Candesartan. Tried 3 other ARB's and had tachycardia, chest pains which was worse than daily diarrhea. I keep hydrated and electrolytes are fine. ACE inhibitors didnt work either. afraid to try anything different since BP at night would soar to 200/120 prior to starting Candesartan. But would feel better hearing that others also has this as side effect. since I take no other meds, eat healthy with little variation I believe it is due to bp med.

• Posted

I've tried several different meds for high blood pressure now. After about 5 months on Amlodipine, the side effects got so bad - reflux, constant belching and trapped gas in my esophagus. Stopped taking it for a week and my symptoms started to alleviate. GP then prescribed me Candesartan. However, after taking it for a week, the gastro side effects came back- possibly worse. Think it's caused my LES to relax, giving me constant reflux and belching. GP doesn't think it's the Candesartan as this isn't a commonly listed side effect. So I've stopped taking it to see if the side effects will go.

Has anyone else had constant belching/reflux on Candesartan?

• Posted

im starting to wonder this am on 32mg candesartan constant burping even after sip of water and back of throat bright red i do have a small hiatal hernia but cant get symptoms under control and tests showed no reflux

• Posted

Interesting. Mine is constant burping, no acid reflux, just always feel like there's trapped air I need to get out. I'm off the candesartan and now on Doxozosin and the same problem has started again...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.