Cane

Posted , 13 users are following.

its been a month since thr, but I feel like I have to have my cane with me all the time... almost like addicted to it.  I tried walking without it a little, but it feels strange like I need it. Does anyone else feel this way, I am limping a little without it, but I am feeling dependent on it, I’m not really in any pain. Thanks

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

A month is no time at all I was still on 2 crutches at that stage. I am now 12 weeks post op TLHR posterior approach and although I can do most things like cycle etc I still use a cane to walk just so it takes the slight limp away, physio said it can take between 3 and 5 month for the limp to disappear.
    • Posted

I am just 6 weeks post op yesterday.  I am also a cyclist and horse rider.  How long before you were able to bike?  How long does the leg have that semi-stiff feeling??  Just want to feel normal again!!
    • Posted

Hi Kathyk

I started back on the bike just after my 6 week post op consultation.

I started just doing 3 mile on straight track with little resistance and built it up gradually, I am now 12 weeks post op and today completed a 31 mile off road bike ride with no pain or discomfort, it does feel strange at first with stiffness and a little discomfort and i was apprehensive as i didnt want to damage anything but it got stronger with every ride. Good luck with your recovery sure you'll be back in the saddle soon wether it's on the bike or your horse.

• Posted

That's good news Philip!  I cant wait!  DR appt this Friday for 6 week check up.  Hoping Im good to go on most things!  Tired of dusting bike off!  Wishing you many, many more great rides in the future!

• Posted

I quit using mine completely by end of 3rd week, had to force myself though.  My PT said I was ready, but it was a security thing.  I still have a very slight limp due to a quarter inch leg difference right now, but other than that I walk fine without it.  If you dont have balance issues and there isnt pain when not using it, I would just push yourself to go without it at home 1st, which is what I did.  Then start not using it when you are out and about or at work.  It will get easier and you will be without it in no time!
  • Posted

I had a dynamIc hip screw 9 weeks ago after an accident. My hip is still broken but the dhs allows me to weight bear whilst it does so. I am still walking with a crutch and am waiting for a stick to arrive to see if that helps. I have quite a limp without the crutch so I expect to be with support for a while longer. I think you could possibly walk round the house without it to build up your confidence but still take it outside? I don’t think there is any right or wrong in this but follow your gut. Vanessa
  • Posted

It's an individual experience.

I am 68 years old and am at 6 weeks post-surgery today. I have had one set back from overdoing. It only put me back on the cane for 2 days. That was at 5 weeks and my husband accused me of "milking the hip thing". I told him I hope he never has to experience it.

I feel my experience is the exception, as I haven't needed any narcotics for pain. Ibuprofen is my go to for discomfort. My body also didn't have much to get rid of as I had only the spinal anesthetic during surgery. I wish each and everyone a swift and full recovery in your individual time.

• Posted

i cant believe your husband said that!im still using one crutch outside on walks because the hip gets tired after about half an hour and i start to limp,and need the support-what would he say about me,i wonder!,im 4months post op! if you arent using a cane at 6 weeks,you are doing very well!like you-i hope he never has to find out what its like!xxx
    • Posted

Thank you.

My husband has never been empathetic with me, but if his oldest daughter were to stub her toe he would consider it to be major. I think that if I were to be less independent, I may fair better with him.

Over the years, I have affectionately been referred to by friends as a tough old broad. smile Did you have an anterior or posterior incision? Mine is anterior and I am completely on my own two. I do have an occasional tendon popping or muscle discomfort under my buttock on that side, but nothing major. I wish you well and hope your recovery is all you hope it will be. smile

• Posted

Hi zak,

Unless you had the anterior approach, you are very eager to lose the support. Week eight before I completely gave up using one crutch in the house. I have reverted to my walking stick to go out as I am still having discomfort in the bone done the back of the thigh which makes me limp without support.

Do not try to rush the healing, you have had major surgery, don't forget you have been sawn, drilled and put back together it really does take time. Remember you are not in a competition, there are no prizes for pushing too hard.

• Posted

I need at least one stick or I seem to be lurching round the furniture and definitely a rocking pelvis which is worrying 😳

• Posted

Don't be overly concerned that you are using the cane at this time. I used mine for longer than that when I was out. It gave me stability when I was walking. Everyone needs the walking aids for different amounts of time. Even without pain, there can be some balance issues as you get your full strength back.

Occasionally now, at 5+ months post op, I use it if I get very tired.

• Posted

I am reading references to PT.

At what point did you start?

I was given exercises at discharge from the hospital.

I go for my 6 week checkup this week and have not yet had PT.

• Posted

My physio told me off for not using one crutch or a cane at 4 weeks. It’s importaant to make sure you aren’t limping before you give it up.
    • Posted

I agree. Giving it up before one is able to walk without a limp would not be a good choice.

I have been able to walk on my own without limping since week 5, but not everyone's body heals at the same rate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.