Cannot bend the big toe very much

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had scarf osteotomy procedure on first metatarsal on 27 Feb because I was in so much pain and could not bend big toe. Stitches out and now can start exercises on big toe, but I still cannot bend the toe very much and still have swelling and bruising.

Does anyone else have the same problem or am I expecting too much too soon. It was 4 weeks today the operation. It had nothing to do with a bunion, but I believe it is a similar operation

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sandra.

I had the same as you, plus bunion, hammer toes etc. I am now at week 6 and I am getting more movement in my toes. Compared to my good foot it doesn't look as though I am moving it very much at all. This is all perfectly normal and I've been told it can from 6 months to a year to be completely healed.

I am going to try to push myself to walk a little better today instead of heel or side walking. My consultant said trainers were best to protect your feet, when you do manage to put shoes on.

I've been given a sheet of exercises but told only to do one of them. Put foot on a towel and scrunch up with toes and then smooth towel out again. I will give it a go.

Have you been advised what you can do yet?

Jan

• Posted

Hi Sandra I've had the same op on both feet , related to being hyper mobile and my joints twisting and spreading but I believe it's the same procedure as someone with bunions, my surgeon says it can take up to 3 months before stiffness abates and up to a year for 'complete ' healing. So your stiffness sounds like it's within those time frame, really hope you get a breakthrough soon

S

• Posted

I had similar operation a few weeks ago, and 7 years ago. It seems to vary a lot, I was told the stiffness is caused largely by the repositioning of the tendons, it takes some time for them to stretch back, at 4 weeks there was not much movement at all, none downwards, at 7 weeks upward flex is fine and I have some movement down, progress. On my first op the movement did not come back fully but it is certainly good enough and no pain. Sounds like you might need to be more patient, hang in there. It is possible you have something else wrong, eg in the joint itself but your consultant would have spotted that at xray time. Good luck
  • Posted

I had surgery on Feb 26 for a right bunion, 2nd hammertoe, plantar fasciitis release and tarsal tunnel release. All on the right foot. I can actually move the toes pretty well. My big toe still goes numb making it harder. My Physical Therapist has given me exercises to do with my toes and ankles. She showed me how to massage the fluid out of them. I think I am just now starting to feel like I might make it through this..lol

Everyone is different in healing. I think at 4 weeks it is pretty normal not to have much movement. Did your doctor have you trying to wiggle your toes from the very beginning? Mine did and I really think that helped. If you feel uneasy about it, just give the doc a quick call and ask him about it.

• Posted

Hi

Yes I have been wriggling my toes and moving my ankle since surgery it is just the big toe that does not seem to be moving much, but there again there is still bruising and swelling both back and front of the toe. How do you massage to get rid of the fluid, that sounds like something to try.

I have already spoken to the consultant and he said not to worry and he would see me at the six week appt and that I was doing ok.

• Posted

All I have to do to get rid of the fluid, which in my case appears as a redness/swelling as I stand up or walk is to raise the foot as high as I can, e.g lie down and raise the foot above the rest of the body. This drains the fluid instantly, which in my case I suspect is blood pooling in the area of the foot that was damaged in the operation. The foot immediately turns to normal colour and the swelling dissapears. Im hoping that this method is temporary.

Kevin

• Posted

Yes that is all I have been told to do just elevate, your body will tell and show you that you need to elevate, and apart from this and trying to bend my big toe 3 times a day 10 times backwards and forwards. The only other thing I do is wear MBT sandals (these are the only sandals I can get my foot in - velcro fastening at the front and walk around a little. I do not know what other people are wearing or find comfortable. I have tried to get me foot in my trainers, and a lace up shoe but my foot is still too swollen and wide at the moment. I have not been told to do anything else.
  • Posted

Exactly the same, I use Velcro sandals with adjustable straps, plus two pairs of socks for added cushioning. The outer pair are thick hiking/walking socks. Kevin
  • Posted

Thank goodness the weather is improving, I do not know what I would have done otherwise.

I just wear a taped cushioned dressing and a sock.

Roll on summer and hopefully light sandals and lots of painfree toe bending walking :o)

• Posted

Well now 5 weeks post op and still my big toe is not moving much, I can bend slightly backwards not much forward movement. I hope this improves, I have tried to push these movements to the discomfort level and the forward movement is not there. In the toes defence I have to say it is still slightly swollen and bruised around the second joint at the bottom.

Does anyone else have these problems.

• Posted

Hi Sandra - I am almost 8 weeks post op and mine are exactly the same. My big toe starts to twitch if I try to move it forward. Second toe is just a rigid digit! Still slightly bruised and still swollen enough for me to get into normal shoes. Elevate and ice.

All normal I think at this stage. It's a long slow process.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Jan

Lovely to hear from you I must admit I feel worried after all this surgery and pain and still do not

Have much movement in my big toe.

Hearing other people saying they have same at about same time scale is very reassuring. I can still only get my foot into my MBT sandal as my foot is still quite wide.

Also are you still walking on the heel or sideways as no matter how hard I try to walk normal the ball of my foot is still tender.

• Posted

Forgot to ask, does anyone try to walk without any shoe,or is this a big NO NO to try.

I am at 5 weeks post op

• Posted

I am walking more on the. All of my foot but the big toe is still raised. I have only been able to do that in the last week. Walking barefoot is ok. I have done that but feel a little more secure in my mule slippers. Couldn't bear the thought of stubbing my toes. Ouch!!!!
  • Posted

Yes my big toe is still raised too............. I have just started walking more, but found trying to walk around a supermarket very tiring and the shopping trolley was my crutches and my foot was protected by the trolley so no one could step or come near my foot :o)

I have found if I walk on carpet I can walk barefoot slowly but not on any solid flooring e.g. tiles or wood the ball of my foot hurts. So at the moment I am in either the wedge shoe the hospital gave me or my MBT sandal. I just feel a bit downhearted at the moment as the only exercise I have been told to do is try and bend the big toe 10 times backwards and forwards 3 times a day, and to be honest it is not moving much at all :o(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.