Cannot bend the big toe very much

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had scarf osteotomy procedure on first metatarsal on 27 Feb because I was in so much pain and could not bend big toe. Stitches out and now can start exercises on big toe, but I still cannot bend the toe very much and still have swelling and bruising.

Does anyone else have the same problem or am I expecting too much too soon. It was 4 weeks today the operation. It had nothing to do with a bunion, but I believe it is a similar operation

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sandra, you will be surprised in a couple of weeks how much more you will be able to do. I am a few weeks ahead of you and it does get a teeny bit better every week.

I only walk barefoot on the soft carpet too. I was only given the scrunching of the towel exercise to do and that does not work too well.do, I have read that massaging, if not too painful, can help release tight tendons, muscles etc. do what you feel you are able to do. Your foot will tell you otherwise.

• Posted

Hi Jan

wondered how you were doing, I a now walking better in a all round slipper as I still cannot get my foot in a shoe . It swells up when walking but no pain apart from tenderness on the ball of my foot.  Is the ball of your foot still swollen and tender?

• Posted

Hi Jan, I think a lot of it is fear as well of doing something to damage it, I think was I have seen the consultant on 25th April I might feel better.

Lovely to hear that other people have similar symptoms and movement, this does make me feel a bit better.

At the moment I walk around the house and garden then sit with my foot elevated the rest of the time.

Yes I massage my foot for quite a while with Bio Oil after my salt foot bath and do feel this helps me and my foot by knowing the touch part is not hurting. If that makes sense.

• Posted

Hi Sandra

just wondering after reading your post how you are getting on?  I had bi-lateral cheilectomy surgery (I suffer from osteoarthritis) on 16 April and my post surgery symptoms sound very similar to yours.

I have fairly good movement in the left toe but virtually none in the right.  The only exercise I was told to do was moving the toes up and down as much as possible from day 3!  This was very painful and I couldn't do it as much as the consultant seemed to be suggesting.  I worry that this is now why I don't have as good movement as I would hope.

I still can't get my feet in "proper" shoes so I am stuck wearing Ugg boots or Crocs!  I tried my trainers on Monday but they are still just too tight!  I have my follow up with the consultant next Friday and I'm worried about what he will say about the lack of movement in my right toe.

Any comments appreciated. cry

• Posted

Morning Ninja

I still do not have much movement in my big toe but have to say as each week goes by, I can start to move it move and swelling is down. Yes I too cn only wear MBT  sandals and crocs, still too tight to wer normal shoes, I just wriggle my toes (check they are still there 😄) and still do salt fort bath and spend Bout 5mins massaging bio oil in all around the operation area and around the foot. I found this very therapeutic  and has helped. My consultant was happy with my foot and said listen to your. body it will tell you when to stop and rest or not do. So my advice to you is do what you can, don't worry. I am now back in office I take care and only walk at the moment in my hospital wedge shoe and try to elevate as much as possible.

you are doing ok, my op was 27 February 

don't worry about proper shoes, better to be comfortable thn in squashed shoes.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Sandra which is really helpful.  I think I was just worried that I wasn't doing enough.   My husband keeps telling me I'm expecting too much - I'm only 4 weeks (today) post surgery and to give it time but I'm getting impatient lol.

Being stuck in the house doesn't help either - I work for v.large US company who won't let me return to work until I can wear proper shoes (for safety reasons), so I'm going a little stir crazy!

Never mind, the sun is shining today so at least I can wander around the garden now and then - I lick you have pain in the ball of my foot when I walk, so short distances it is.

Anyway - will let you get back to work - thanks again for the advice biggrin

• Posted

You are doing ok, honest I was like you but you have to remember health comes first. So relax sit in the sun take up a hobby. I learnt. To quilt while off and get a sun tan.

you must not go back to work until you are ready, I my consultant suggests 12weeks but my works wanted me back and also I was not getting paid so had to go back early, so weRing the hoital shoe and taking care.

dont worry you are doing great especially so eRly on. So now sit back potty around, rest elevate and relax.

i start work at 10am here in England and finish at 4:30.

but after half term back to full time 8:30 to 4:30 😥

enjoy your day and please email if you have any queries, take care. Sandra 

• Posted

Thanks again! I'm in UK too - Scotland.  Nice day here so making the most of it as best I can.  Think I'll try the salt foot bath - so far have just been using E45 cream on wounds to help reduce scarring.  Have bio oil too.

Have a great day.

• Posted

Hello,

I had this surgery on 3/21/14. I was in so much pain at 4 weeks could not beleive it, trying to ignore it.  The foot doctor said I would be running at 8 weeks.   I was finally diagnosised with Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy by a pain doctor.  I started getting nerve blocks  on May 23,2014 and physical therapy 3 times a week. So slowly getting better. Hoping that after 4 more weeks of physcial therapy I will be a lot better.  I have a very long recovery ahead of me.  Good luck to you all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.