cannot eat

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys, I have posted before saying about the pain I get when eating. A lot of people on here seem to get by with certain foods. But I cannot eat anything, I have tried various things recommended. Do you think I have something more serious? I have been referred for an endoscopy, don't know how long it will take though to get appointment. That's a whole week now of no eating. I really don't know what to do..... sad

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You poor thing, if you cannot eat and have lost a dramatic amount of weight you must be feeling very low and miserable.

And anyone in that situation would be, my advice would be check in to your hospital  'accident and emergency' saying you have unbearable stomach pains and they will examine you within a few hours.

Sometimes you just have to be crafty to get the service you deserve.

Otherwise, (from personal experience) even people wth suspected cancer have to wait 2 -3 weeks to get seen on the NHS.

You really can't waste time with GP's while your health is deteriorating like this.

I wish you a speedy recovery!!

• Posted

I did go to a & e on Thursday evening. Went through several checks, but everything was ok. They could not refer me for Endoscopy they said, they wrote a letter to GP to explain I need an urgent endoscopy. But said its not guaranteed to make the process move quicker. Got referred by GP on Friday as urgent. Just waiting on letter now. sad
    • Posted

Hi there,

Have you had 'endoscopy' before?

It can be done as an emergency but you presumably don't exhibit symptoms they consider serious enough to merit immediate examination by that means.

Did they say what to do since you cannot eat anything?

• Posted

Don't think you should hang about. Just force yourself to eat something and then call for an ambulance. 
  • Posted

Ok, so been for an endoscopy. The Dr that was doing it says that my oesophagus is badly enflamed, and that I have hiatus hernia. I am finally able to eat without it being too painful.

I was told to stay on a strict diet for 8 weeks. No spicy foods, garlic, alcohol etc. So I am kind of stuck for ideas for meals. Anyone got a good site they use for meal ideas that are good for acid reflux problems? I have googled quite a lot, but cannot find good meal plans/ideas.

• Posted

What did they do to make you able to eat again? Im waiting for scope and im dreading it. Last time was a nightmare.
    • Posted

The Lansoprazole must have worked after a week to make eating bearable. I have to go back in 8 weeks for another one to make sure its healed enough. Hope yours gos ok. I agree, not the most comfortable thing to get. Thought the tube would have been thinner :oP

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.