Car insurance after op

Posted , 9 users are following.

Having had my THR I asked the insurance company how long it would be before I could legally drive.

They were non committal and usggested that either 1) I ask my GP to sign me off or 2) I ask my Consultant to do the same. In each of the to opions I felt that both GP and Onsultant would be under enough pressure with clinical work rather than deal with a patients request to drive a car.

My Consultant in the pre op process did state that 6 weeks was appropriate but that it was up to the individual and I felt safe after 3 weeks due to a speedy recovery period.

In one of the Forum discusions it was stated that it was illegal to drive within 6 weeks which I do not believe to be the case.

Any clarity on the subject would be appreciated

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Trevor like you i was told 6 weeks, as long as i could do an emergency stop safely, I started just short distances after about 8weeks, when i felt confiden, so if you can manage an emergency stop comfortably and you feel ready in yourself then its fine.....
    • Posted

Hi Susan I'm 13 weeks now post op and I drove at 7 weeks. My physio told me it was illegal to drive before 6 weeks and if you were unlucky enough to have a bump your insurance wouldn't pay out so bare that in mind, glad your feeling well enough to drive 😃

Vicki

• Posted

Thats ok hon, it about the same time given roughly by all medical staff, but i wasnt lucky enough to have after care, it still health lottery where you live, ...l
    • Posted

Hi Susan

No exercises to be done at home given by the physio I'm due my last appointment today with consultant and physio, my op was all good just been suffering with a lot of stiffness when getting up. On first walking, and been sat a while, im due back at work next week but im not sure I can do it. I can't fault the care and attention I received whilst in hospital and follow up appointment, like you say it is a post code lottery and I'm lucky I've live in an area that's not over crowded. My arthritis pain has completely gone just need to get these muscles working again, I have noticed my stamina and energy level are quite low, but then I've just had a major op. When they quite 12 weeks you think everything will be back to normal but unfortunately I'm not, im sure there are people out there that are. I was relatively fit and active previous to op too. Never mind onwards and upwards 😁

• Posted

Very true, thats my biggest battle i am having, i am an independent stubborn, person used to doing everything, to not being able to dress myself properly, and caring for my husband, but am pleased the arthritis pain has gone, good luck to you hon.......
    • Posted

It depends on where you live in the country, for instance I waited only 7 weeks from seeing consultant to op, I live in the northwest, if I lived in London or the suburbs more people longer waiting lists etc,. Postcode lottery😁
    • Posted

Hi I can just see the insurance companies day your impaired driver so sorry.post your own bills lol
  • Posted

Trevor from what I was told it depends on which hip is repaired, the type of vehicle you drive, automatic or manual transmission and how much pain medication you're taking.  My doctor told me ten weeks but I was driving short trips at four weeks and longer at six.  To be honest driving any sooner would be very dangerous.  When I told my doctor I was driving he didn't seem concerned but I was also walking with a cane two weeks after surgery.  I did ask him about the ten week rule and he said it's just a general time frame.  His main concern for returning to driving or work was based on pain medication.  Since my hip replacement was my left hip and my car has an automatic transmission he was fine with me driving as long as I wasn't on pain medication.  Hope this helps and good luck.  
    • Posted

All replies useful and some interesting points - thanks. There does not appear to be any hard and fast rule and even the insurnace companies do not know. Personally, my car is automatic and I was not on any pain medication when I drove after 4 weeks. Emergency stop was not a problem. Perhaps the authorities who make the rules of police, licensing and  insurance etc should provide more guidance than merely saying "only after 6 weeks"
  • Posted

Hi Trevor

I know from other posts that the UK and US seem to have completely different rules

I was told not before 6 weeks or it was illegal {if you had a bump}

I was seeing the physio round about the 6 week period and I mentioned it to him.

His reply was ....Check with your insurance co to make sure you are insured.

I rang them and they said we need to know from your doctor or consultant.....they know more about these things thn we do

I rang his secretary.....she emailed him and rang me back saying that he had said it was OK....so I drove.

It didnt really disturb the consultant and I knew I was safe to drive.

It was my 2nd THR and it was my left leg and my car is manual????

Love

Eillen      from UK

• Posted

Hi Eileen.

Thanks for your comments. My concern at the minute it that there appears to be no hard and fast rule and without wishing to question your consultant would his "ok" be acceptable should you have an accident. I think the main problem is that we are all different and recover at different rates.

Seriouly impressed with you having two THR's !!!

Love and best wishes to you

Trevor

• Posted

Hi Trevor

First thing is an apology........I cantt get into my computer.....its going to have to go the the computer doctor tomorrow LOL see what he says about it

I'm using my husbands one which is copletely different...thats why it has taken me so long to get back.

I didnt explain properly........The consultant said OK to his secretary then she emailed the Insurance company to say it was OK and then rang me so it wasnt just an OK to the insurance people

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Trevor,

I was able to drive three weeks after my minimally invasive THR. My surgery was on the left hip, and I stopped taking the pain meds after two weeks. I also had spinal anesthesia with sedation. As long as you have your strength back and you are NOT taking narcotics, there is no reason you can't drive. Once the swelling went down in my foot and I could get my shoe on again, I was good to go with my doctors blessing. People just assume you will be on drugs for a long time, and I guess some people are. It is illegal to drive under the influence, but it's not illegal to drive with a hip replacement. Get out and enjoy your life!

Kathee (good ole US of A)

• Posted

Hi Kathy

Lovely e mail and very positive - thank you from across the pond !!

Trevor UK 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.