Car insurance after op

Posted , 9 users are following.

Having had my THR I asked the insurance company how long it would be before I could legally drive.

They were non committal and usggested that either 1) I ask my GP to sign me off or 2) I ask my Consultant to do the same. In each of the to opions I felt that both GP and Onsultant would be under enough pressure with clinical work rather than deal with a patients request to drive a car.

My Consultant in the pre op process did state that 6 weeks was appropriate but that it was up to the individual and I felt safe after 3 weeks due to a speedy recovery period.

In one of the Forum discusions it was stated that it was illegal to drive within 6 weeks which I do not believe to be the case.

Any clarity on the subject would be appreciated

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Greetings, My surgeon said when I'm off the pain meds. But mine was a left THR. Also I was thinking what would happen if I was hit by another car. Omg then my hip would be slammed against the dash and that would be terrorising thought.lol
    • Posted

I think it is down to the individual, how they feel, in themselves and after the 6 weeks, i also was off all meds after a week, but just took it at my pace and on advice of the doctors, do agree with Kathy, no matter what and how we have to enjoy what life we have life is too short and precious, this forum is certainly a good thing advice help, and just general, friendly chat........
  • Posted

I live in the states and asked when could I drive and was told that when I can lift my leg into and out of the drivers seat, apply my foot safely and painlessly to brake and accelerator that I could drive.  I am 4 weeks into recovery and have to try next week otherwise I will be stranded when my husband goes away for a week on business.  I am needless to say going to stock up on what I may need just in case driving doesn't happen for me yet. I have no idea if there are any legal requirements but I am very mindful how big an operation this was and is and am not going to push forward until I'm sure I can manage to drive to the shops and back, do my shopping and then come back again.

• Posted

Hi Carol

You appear to be vague over in the usa as we are here where it is you that decides as to whether you are fit enough to drive or not. One problem I would envisage is that you drive again and then have an accident and knowing the insurance companies they will find a get out clause on the back of your operation.

Best wishes 

• Posted

Good luck hope it goes well, just take it at your pace, only you can know when you are ready, is frightening for the first time, i was petrified.......
  • Posted

My surgeon said about 6 weeks. I used caution with regards to the use of pain medicine mixed with driving. I drove as long as I knew I could last without pain meds for that period of time.
  • Posted

Had my L/Hip Op/THR on 04/04 and other than being poisoned with Codiene by the Treatment Centre seem to recovering without resorting to any opiate painkillers.

?Have been driving Autos ever since I fractured my left heel in an orienteering accident 20 years ago. My GP has stated "that you are fairly fit for 70" and living in a semi-rural location - only one bus every 30mins or, as I discovered on Good Friday... Once an Hour! So, have got to to be able to drive.

?IMHO if you're NOT drugged up on opaites/reduced reaction time and yr right leg is as strong as ever to effect an Emergency Stop -

My M-Benz has EBA - Emergency brake assist - By interpreting the speed and force with which the brake pedal is pushed, the system detects if the driver is trying to execute an emergency stop, and if the brake pedal is not fully applied, the system overrides and fully applies the brakes until the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) takes over to stop the wheels locking up.[1] As the ad says:- Simples....

What's the problem? IDIOT with baseball hat on backwards in hot hatch drives under my towbar :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.