carbimazole and sore throat

Posted , 32 users are following.

Hi I been taking this tablets for 6 weeks now (3 5mg 3 times a day). I read in the leaflet that came with it if you got sore throat STOP taking the tablets and see your doctor, what I would like to know is how bad must the sore throat be to stop taking the tablets? Can anyone tell me before I rang my GP.

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have been through almost the same things. 

Finally a doctor advised me to avoid Gluten & sweets which is quite challenging but I'm trying my best as its making a huge different a in my mood and skin rash. 

I started on selenium 200 microgram once daily for my eyes  , H2Go ( hydrogen tablets with magnesium) it has helped me a lot with my energy level and mood stabilizing. I will start on EDG3 ( glutathione precursors) today and I'm hoping it will help with muscle pain. 

I also had to resign from my work, I couldn't cope with mental stress and job.

Fortunately I've started working on network marketing while I was still healthy. This gives me today freedom of scheduling my appointments only when I am able to meet someone. At the same time the products that I promote help with health so I can feel it more when I am recommending it to others since I've been fighting the same. 

Acupuncture has helped me with my eyes and muscle pain too. But as soon as I discontinue the sessions my eyes bulge again and muscle pain comes back. I'm hoping that EDG3 will help me with the muscle pain, sore throat and my immunity. 

I'm thankful for this thread as you make me feel what I was going through is normal. Good news is, things do get better.  

• Posted

Hi I am new to this group currently have an over acting thyroid and have been put carbimazole 20mg once a day propranolol 40mg 3 times a day and mitazapine 15mg 1 at night I have had rapid weight loss lymphmodes all swollen my throat is killing me have been referred to endo got the app at the end of the month also have to go for a biopsy of the thyroid can anyone who has had the biopsy done gone give me some advice please am bricking it is have 2 kids and find most days really exhausting I'm a carer for my autistic son so it's pretty challenging at times I have major mood swings as well. Doctors also think I have gravesend disease

• Posted

Hi, I was diagnosed with Graves Disease/ Hyperthyroidism three weeks ago and have been given Propranolol 3 times a day and Carbimazole daily along with a daily diuretic. I have now been given selenium to prevent changes in my eyes. 

I have had a sore throat for the past week and blood tests show an increase in my liver enzymes. When I saw the endocrinologist on Friday she was not concerned about my sore throat but did order a blood test - I am still waiting for the results.

I take the Carbimazole each evening and it has stopped me feeling lethargic during the day. I am still quite new to the drug so I may experience some of the signs mentioned on here as time goes on.

• Posted

I got a sore throat after a few days when i started taking carbimazole.

The Dr said it was probably from the reflux id been having.

Few weeks later i still had it and i felt like crap so stopped taking it for a few days. Had a blood test that came back ok.

Soon as i started them again my throat felt sore again.

Is there something about the drug that causes sore throats? Will i have to just live with it and ignore the stop taking it advice?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.