Cardioversion Again!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Ugh another cardioversion yesterday. It's been 9 months so I guess that's not too bad lol. Does anyone get VERY itchy actually extremely itchy about 7 or 8 hours after? Usually right under where the large shock pads where. Like my skin is crawling. No hives there though. I've tried aloe Vera. Which has worked before but not this time. I had to use a cold pack to get any relief and it's still itching like mad. Al.most like some kind of internal burn? Maybe electrical? I think over exercising on the treadmill even though I'm just walking aggravated that darn vagus nerve some more causing this episode. My heart has been cranky since I went from 2 to 3 days on the treadmill. So I'm gonna back off for a couple of weeks and then go back to it 2 times a week. Also the attending doctor yesterday is finally sending me for an ultrasound to look for scar tissue or hidden hernia in that upper tummy area FINALLY LOL!

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sandi. Maybe you are allergic to the gel used on the pads?
    • Posted

Yah but there's no redness except a small amount around the circumference of where the pad was. It's like a tingling itch. Im just not sure what it is. Drives me nuts though.

• Posted

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this I'm dreading the day I might have to have one , I hope your feeling better now Sandie I can imagine it's so scary you poor love , Bea

• Posted

Hi Bea, ah it's a piece of cake. I've had so many. The worst part is actually the nurses trying to find a good vein without fishing. And the itching afterward. The best part: you feel sooo much better after the zap lol.

• Posted

Oh about 10! Hahaha I'm the cardioversion queen. Frankly I don't know anyone who has had more than me. Like I said it doesn't bother me at all. The only time it did was when I had two in one day. That was tiring.

• Posted

Oh Sandie you poor love I feel bad moaning now but I do hope you get sorted soon x
  • Posted

hi Sandi - yep .. me too .  My first cardioversion .. you are correct the itching is awful... I think you are right .. I think tissue is burned.  I felt bad all the week after and the drugs they sent me home with nearly killed me..  I took them for 3 weeks before I got wise to what was going on .  This afib is really bad stuff.  Mine is not all the time, Thank goodness.  Hope you are better.  smile

• Posted

Hi Trish I hope you don't mind me asking but what drugs did they give you to go home with that made you ill ? Iv been given a new one to stop afib but I'm afraid to take it xx

• Posted

Amiodarone, Eloquis, and Bystolic.  I have normally low blood pressure

I kept a notebook and after every dose my bloodpressure would be erratic or drop way low 80/50 pulse 43..  or go high then down.  I told doc ..they changed the Amiodarone to Propafeone.  no better.  I dropped them one at a time.  and not until I dropped them all did i get better.  Those drugs are scary. 

• Posted

those drugs actually gave me flutters and afib.  Can't believe I stayed on them for about 4 weeks.  I couldn't leave the house.  I had an episode every day ..sometimes two.  The further away I am from that time the better I am.  That all happened on July 18, 2016.  Still struggling with anxiety attacks which I think bring on the afib.  rolleyes

• Posted

Thank you Trish iv been given Flecadianide but I'm afraid to try is so just take 1.5 Bisoparol x

• Posted

I think Flecadianide does the same as the Propafeone.. they control the rhythm of the heart.   My heart did not like it at all. 
    • Posted

Do you know I think it may be the same for me iv always had a slow heart rate e.g. 47/51 bpm and flutters over the years I have a underlying heart condition too but was only diagnosed two years agoIv had 4 episodes in two years were my heart as gone up to 190/200 bpm but reverted to normal rythum on its own a cpl of hours later each time after a trigger I can pinpoint eg a few glasses of strong port , a full big box of chocolates a having a bad sickness bug and going to bed dehydrated , and a fall and a bad anxiety attack , so I may just keep the tablets in case I have an episode .i am now on the fodmap diet and feel much much better so far , but hopefully il learn to live with this and control it better , I do hope you and Sandie both get yours under good control and feel much better soon Trish , anxiety is a awful thing to have and I'm sure it's the main culprit in it all xx

• Posted

Hi Bea, I'm doing better on the FODMAP diet too. But I'm still sure there is an underlying problem with scar tissue from a previous open heart surgery I had when I was 3. Right in the area of the vagus nerve (near the upper stomach) there is a scar from were a tube had been inserted. This scar goes inward quite deep. I'm darned determined now to have this checked out even if I have to have a CAT scan. I'm starting with an ultrasound very soon which I'm VERY happy about. So stay tuned. Also I'm having a routine colonoscopy Nov 4. This I'm nervous about. I've had one before. It's not the poop part lol. It's the possible problem with electrolytes and the flecainide I'm on so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do about this appt. I may go off the flecainide altogether and just see what happens or reduce it like the pharmacy has suggested. Or maybe just cancel but I should get it done. Ugh decisions, decisions lol.

• Posted

Well I hope all goes well for you Sandie I'm assuming you have stomach problems too I couldn't manage the colonascopy as I have diverticuler disease so they had to stop because of this , it's true the stomach -heart-brain are all affected by the vagal nerve as my depression as lifted also so hopefully I'm on the right path now , I think doctors should make ppl aware about this whole vagal thing I don't have a clue until I saw the comments on here really 👍😊

• Posted

I had to have a ct scan instead I get results next week hopefully they can tell be this if it is Crohnes 👍

• Posted

Bea - you are so lucky to know your triggers.  Yes..take control and just don't have those attacks any more.  lol   easier said than done I know. 

Still trying to pinpoint my triggers ... I seem to be all over the place. 

Doc is trying to help me..he wonders if maybe my oxygen gets too low during sleep.. He is going to do an oxygen test to ck on that.  rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Tricia have you tried the FODMAP diet? I just started it and have found a big difference in the amount of PVC's.

• Posted

Hi Trish there is probably more triggers I haven't realised yet but doing the diet makes me feel like I have some control but what I find odd is the fact all my episodes are during the night ? Not during the day xx

• Posted

I'm not familiar with that.. will search it out.  I'm open to anything at this point. 

• Posted

mine used to be only at night but now i'm branching .. apparently anytime.  but do wake up every a.m. with fast hb and fluttery heart.  usually goes away when I get up and move around.  crazy stuff.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.