Carpal tunnel surgery anaesthetic injection

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all

I am having carpal tunnel release surgery soon and have a huge needle phobia.

I know it sounds ridiculous given the surgery (which I'm not remotely bothered by) given that I have suffered for years with limited sleep and pain.

Please tell me if that injection hurts? I have watched lots of videos to prepare myself 🙈

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sandy.

like you for years I hated the thought of having injection and would feel realy ill.however as I have got older and have had more injection than I care to count.having recenly had a steroid injection in my wrist I just felt a slight pain but nothing that bothered me.it often depends on the person giving it and how careful they are.just try to think of something nice to take your mind off it.and hope the operation takes away the pain in time.

best wishes

Peter

• Posted

Yes the pain is there. It lasts for about 20 seconds. They said it was a stinging sensation. It was more like someone standing on the hand. But like I said it was a short time. Have no fear. Just relax and enjoy the happy juice. hey will put you out for about an hour with the shot. The doctor will shoot up the operation site with enough novacane to keep that numb for easily 24 hours.
    • Posted

you are having the cortisone shot. Yes that is a bit on the painful side. It is still numbed by the doctor some but he/she will need to get the steroid right into the spot. It will be a little sore for a few hours but it will go away and hopefully you will not need the surgery. It does sometimes work to prevent surgery. Have no fear you will be fine.

• Posted

I'm definitely having surgery. It's the anaesthetic injection I'm stressing about.

I havnt had to go down the injection route, I am being given the surgery

• Posted

Hi Andy, I'm not bothered by needles, I had CTR surgery 7weeks ogo however the local injection was the the most painful part, luckily it doesn't last long. I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear.

• Posted

Sorry sandy predicted text changed your name.lol
    • Posted

OMG no it's not what a wanted to hear. 😓. I'm going to use emla cream so am hoping for some relief from that

• Posted

Sorry. That may help a bit. I'm sure you could ask to be put asleep. You may have to wait longer to have it done. It's a quick operation and even though I'm still getting some pain in my hand and wrist my pins and needles have gone. I've been told it could take up to 6mths before everything settles. Make sure after your stitches are out you do your hand exerciseside.

• Posted

I did have the steroid injections 6 weeks ago to both sides and the discomfort was minimal. The relief of the constant tingling and waking from sleep with the worst pain I've ever had made the injections worth it. It won't be as bad as you think.

• Posted

I had it done 4 weeks ago although had my other hand done 5 months prior. The injection is stingy for a good few seconds but thats it. Just be brave. The actual op only lasts about 5 mins. A nurse will hold your hand throughout. If you are that nervous you can request to be under sedation but this is used through a cannula so it's another needle. Be brave though. As you're allowed home a lot quicker withoutsmile

• Posted

My surgery is Tuesday. I will be getting conscious sedation with the nerve block. Having both sides done at the same time. The meds used for the sedation will make you unaware of everything else. That makes everything more tolerable.

• Posted

Blimey how come both at the same time? Let me know how you get on x
    • Posted

Are you from the UK? As it seems depending on where you're from you get offered different treatment. Good luck with getting both hands done at the same time as i struggled doing things with one hand. I need my other hand done as well but i decided to get it at a later date. Im glad now as it's been 7wks since my left hand was done and im getting pain which can some times be restricting to what i do. Hope all goes well for you.

• Posted

I did them both at once so I took off less time at work and didn't want to dread round 2.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.