Carpal Tunnel surgery....I have to make a decision??

Posted , 32 users are following.

I have had a nerve conduction test about 4weeks ago and have been told today that i have Carpal Tunnel. My doctor is going to refer me to the hospital for surgery, is there any questions i should ask when i get to see the consultant? I do not know much about it, ihave it in my right hand, i am abit worried after reading some of these stories on this forum. Is there anyone who surgery has worked for?

3 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The most important thing is that you have had the nerve conduction velocity test and that it was positive. The few stories I have heard about this surgery not working, I suspect was due to the wrong diagnosis. Tendinitis is really common in the hand and wrist and has very similar symptoms to carpal tunnel. So if you have had the test and it was positive, I don't see any reason why yours would not be a complete success. My father had both wrists done separately and had great results with both. Mostly, he had no pain which was great. Good Luck!
  • Posted

My latest update....I was refered by nhs to the surgeon last week, he explained the results of my nerve conduction test and advised me to have the operation done. He said if i dont have it done i will start to get muscle wastage in my hand and will not get it back, it would eventualy get so bad i will not be able to button up clothes. This was enough to make up my mind, i agreed to have it done and he has booked me in for the 21st May, very quick for the NHS!! I will keep you posted on how i get on.

Angela thanks for that it makes me feel more confident now.

• Posted

Hi again Louise you got there ,now full steam ahead get rid of that hand pain.you won't regret it wish I'd done it whole lot sooner.One puts it off but sooner or later the pain won't let you continue on with it. Nice to be able to knit without after awhile having to drop the hand to let the fluid go back into the hand.Soon as your able get back to us on how it went as I previously said you will be fine. X
    • Posted

I had surgery at 8.00 am  this morning and have pins and needles in my fingers and the palm of my hand is still numb. How long did it take for it to wear off for you and how long was it before you knew the surgery had worked?
    • Posted

Hi  glad you to have had it done Carpal Tunnel so painful hey.It will take few days for feeling to come back,but it will as long as you let the inside heal,don't forget they had to stretch the carpal to take so much out to join it up again.so don't try lifting anything up with the hand,even if it feels okay.for few weeks The pins and needles will stop All together allow  6weeks then your ready to go,pain free,faint scar.My left hand is now noticeably fatter really weird but only the palm.Louise on site due to get it done next month.Wish I'd had it done sooner .Let me know how it goes and take it easy.let someone else Hoover, wash up etc Chin up Marlene xx
    • Posted

Hi how you feeling? im due to have mine done on the 21st May, someone at my work has had both done and says it takes around 6 weeks until you recover, take it slowly. She also said to get some Tramadol painkillers for after the operation, Louise
    • Posted

Louise

I am on day 3 and only taken 1 lot of painkillers today. I know the that the procedure has worked already. I still have a little pain, more uncomfortable, and my hand feels weak.

I would definately recommend the surgery with a local anesthesia. I went to theatre at 8.00 am and was home by 10.30am.

Jan

• Posted

Hi Jan

So glad to hear how you are doing, im am having it done on the 21st May at 1pm, i feel alot better hearing about you.

Louise

• Posted

Are you having a local? I am glad I did, my surgeon let me have a look before he stitched it, amazing.  Most of the time in theatre was taken in the setting up of everything.

Where are you having your op? I had mine done at the Spire Stretton in Cheshire.

it's just a bit boring not being able to do very much because I enjoy knitting and crochet.

• Posted

Hi JAN it's best for about 6 weeks in all to try not to use it .I think 4 weeks after I had it done i went  to gently exercising it but not lot of pressure on it..didn't have no hand ache after 2 weeks. It stopped like any op it's always a 6 week window to being back to normal.A theatre nursing sister showed me her hand she had it done 6 weeks prior to me going in to have mine done and she was back at work . Hope this helped.your be fine,I'm left handed ,the hand I had done.Marlene x
    • Posted

Hi Jan yes i am having a local on the NHS. Im having it done near Grantham Lincolnshire. Someone at my work told me to get a stress ball to exercise it and you need to massage your hand, dont use the stress ball yet though its a bit to soon. I think you will need lots of patience, i was told about 6 weeks off as well. Are you having to take pain killers?

Louise.

• Posted

Hi Louise is the carpal still on for tomorrow I didn't forget,get back let me know how it went .xx
  • Posted

I had surgery on 19th April, and after a couple of days I knew it had been successful . 

My stitches will be taken out on Friday 2nd May. Not too much pain, only took 4 co-codomil a day. Hand is a little weak but improving each day.

my advice is to have the surgery ASAP before it gets any worse.

I had a local anaesthetic and didn't feel a thing. I even had a look before the surgeon stitched my hand, amazing.

Go for it ASAP.

Jan

• Posted

I have read other posts from people saying it still took a few months for the surgery to heal. And still they needed to follow proper exercise, posture, and there were still quite a bit of pain. I am really confused now.
  • Posted

Hi everyone, well i had my operation done on wednesday at 1pm, the injection for the local was quite painful, but i felt nothing after that. All in all i was in and out in an hour! i felt no pain until about 8pm then it really hurt, i took co-codomol which helped abit but i only got 3 hours sleep the first night. it is now sunday and im getting about 4ish hours sleep. ive just changed my dressing myself today and it looks really sore. i have NO pins and needles anymore but have quite abit of swelling. I am having my stitches out on wednesday at my GP's so i will start the physio with the stress ball and hand massaging then. will keep you posted confused

• Posted

Hi Louise so glad you had it done,honest you will be fine took 6 weeks to getting back to norm.did you ask about compression  bandage ?  Nice getting that pain gone.maybe others will follow to get this done if having 2 nd thoughts. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.