Carpal Tunnel surgery....I have to make a decision??

Posted , 32 users are following.

I have had a nerve conduction test about 4weeks ago and have been told today that i have Carpal Tunnel. My doctor is going to refer me to the hospital for surgery, is there any questions i should ask when i get to see the consultant? I do not know much about it, ihave it in my right hand, i am abit worried after reading some of these stories on this forum. Is there anyone who surgery has worked for?

3 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Louise. I had op 3weeks ago and I feel great. I was told by a colleague it was a horrific op so I bought emla cream from doc so I wouldn't feel the injections. I did feel them, but it only lasts a minute and is bearable. It's an uncomfortable op but you can't feel anything. Worst bit is when numbness wears off. It's uncomfortable but doesn't hurt. I took co codemol once after op and once the next day. I took bandage off after 3days but left dressing on until stitches came out 10 days later. Dressing needs changing as sweaty palms unstick it, but you can buy that from chemist. I jammed a nail polish bottle in operated hand and painted my nails the next day! It's been 3 weeks and I'm driving back to work now. Writing and typing is slow but I knew that would be so. I can't hold heavy things, open heavy doors or use a tin opener, stapler or scissors yet but big deal. Ask someone to help. Very successful op and I have no qualms in having left hand done in 3 months time. Make sure you do the rehab exercises, I suggest letting air to wound to help heal. When stitches come out it looks horrid but I've been massaging with bio oil and scar almost gone and not lumpy as some folk report. I drink a lot of green tea which is reported to have healing properties. Although not sure about that. You'll be fine. I'm a baby and hate needles but it's ok and worth it , in my opinion. 
  • Posted

Well its been 2 weeks and 2 days since my operation, i went to my gp for my stitches out after one week but she said its to soon and took them out after 10days. It was less painfull without the stitches as they were very tight. Once the stitches were out it started healing quite quick, its still a bit tender but i have been doing alot of massaging especialy round my thumb area which hurt the most. I have a stress ball wich i keep squeezing and rolling it gently over my scar, it hurt at first but im getting used to it now. I have drove my car the last couple of days but not very far, i am due to go back to work in a weeks time so hopefully will be alot further on.

Keep you posted Louise x

• Posted

I am so glad i posted on this forum as you have all been such a great help with tips and advice for post op. It makes you cringe reading some of the stories that have'nt worked and makes a nice change to hear the positive ones. I hope this helps other people who are trying to make such a big decision wether to have it done or not. Thankyou again, Louise
    • Posted

Hi Louise

i am glad to hear that all went well with your surgery.

It will be 7 weeks tomorrow since my surgery and my hand is feeling fine. My only problem is that there is still some tenderness around my scar but when I saw the surgeon last week he said to give it another 6-8 weeks and it should be completely healed.

I am so glad I had the surgery because the splints were a waste of space.

My surgeon said that the best results from surgery are before the problem reaches the severe stage.

Jan

• Posted

Hi Louise,glad your doing okay ,knew you'd be fine,at least you can sleep knowing that awful pains not going to wake you in early hours.How I put up with that for so long is beyond me.Nice to drive again hey.If it came up to get the other one done I wouldn't hesitate..Good on ya  x
  • Posted

Well its been 4weeks now since my carpal tunnel op. I went back to work a few days ago on light duties only with a cotton glove on. I still have a bit of pain around my scar area but im concentrating on the massaging which i was advised to do. You really must start massaging around the scar as soon as possible for the best results otherwise you will be stuck with the pain from the scar tissue, I started after 2weeks. I have not had any pins and needles at all since i had it done but i have experienced a tingly sensation in one of my fingers. I think the secret is to be really patient and carry on with the stress ball. some of the top layer of the skin is starting to peel away naturaly so it just looks abit raw, hence im wearing a cotton glove at work. Louisebiggrin

• Posted

Hi Louise.glad your getting better. I'm 7 weeks now and booked in for left hand on 12th August. Iv been using bio oil and scar almost gone . its right on the lifeline part of hand. I went back to work after 3 weeks . I was so bored. I have a house in Portugal so I had one week respite there in the sun. Still get a wee bit of tingling in scar area and lots of itching there. But that's normal. Nerves mending. Nothing else tho. No numbness or tingling anymore. Complete success for me. I was able to press soap dispenser today at work and push a door open. Was well chuffed. Can't use a stapler yet but use left hand. Can't sit down and push up on hand yet.but I was told that takes longer. My hand was bad pre op but worked for me. 
    • Posted

Oh wow Aly thats fab!! I might get some Bio Oil as im using almond oil at the moment which is working well. I was told 4-6 weeks off work but like yourself i was bored stupid so went back after 3weeks. I will be glad when im 6months down the line as thats how long i was told it will take to settle down properly. good job we can still use a keyboard! Louise
    • Posted

Hi Louise. Did you have to get a reviewed DHE assessment? I'm looking at getting an ergonomic mouse as the old one keeps my hand a wee bit stiff. You finding that? Not sure how left hand will go, as I'm need that hand to use the gearstick and gawd knows how I'll be able to pull up and down the brake. The gearstick touches the palm so I guess it'll be daintily used by fingertips for a whiley. Lol
    • Posted

Hi Aly, no i have not had another assessment i had mine done on the nhs so dont know if i will get one.I am finding my wrist is a bit weak though and  still tender. Pity you dont have an automatic car! Hope the next operation is just as good, keep me posted, Louise
    • Posted

hello i am due to also have carpel tunnel surgery on the 12th august rolleyes 

i am having a general as i am 17 years old, i am very nervous about having this done and also waiting 6 weeks not doing a lot is there anything people can suggest for me to do as i am normaly an active person x

• Posted

Hiya.you'll be fine . I was scared and awake whilst having op 8 weeks ago and promise its fine.I' was off work for 3 weeks and bored stiff. I went walking a lot. You can still go out. I'm having left hand done in 2 weeks so it wasn't bad enough not to go back. In fact I'm going to Portugal day after stitches removed and plan to help my village pick grapes for wine. Just keep wiggling fingers and you'll heal good. And rub bio oil into wound when stitches out . magic stuff! Be brave.it's ok . promise. 
    • Posted

Thank you! Luckily I am a sleep for the op as I am under 18 but downside is I have to stay in hospital for 2 nights, and is the bandage big after the op? 

I am not looking forward to having the stitches out either rolleyes 

Good luck for yours xx

• Posted

Hiya . I had a bandage from above wrist to middle knuckle . I took that off after 4 days and just had the big sticky plaster on underneath to let fresh air to hand. I had to change it tho as bit mucky. stitches don't hurt at all coming out. The wound looks horrid when plaster off but it heals quickly. Don't get hand wet until stitches out. You won't be able to lift for a while. I still can't use a stapler but who cares! Lol. No more numb fingers or symptoms from before op. my surgeon from Swindon. Dr Dan lashmore is lovely. my scar is barely visible and exactly along the lifeline marking about an inch long. Be braver early, you'll be fine. He said he could have done both hands together but who would wipe my bum! Very true but funny. X
    • Posted

Okay, I was worried how big the bandage would be haha!! 

I do worry about a lot if things and I am not good when it comes to horrible things like the wound will freak me out and I will not want to look at it but I know that's out of the question as I'm not allowed to keep it covered rolleyes 

I must admit the hospital haven't given me a lot of details about the op I don't know if it is because I am under 18 and they know I suffer with anxiety but I would rather know so I know what I am looking at for the next 6 weeks xx

• Posted

They don't give out much information, I guess it's because everyone is different. I had the surgery just over two weeks ago. 

You will be limited for a few days after for the first couple of days I was using painkillers but it settles down. After the stitches came out it set me back abit and took a few days before I felt confident in using my hand again. But a week on I'm using it more and more each day. 

I didnt know know much information before having it done but don't worry, you get used to it and find ways around. I'm yet to drive and find it hard to hold anything it that hand but I no the surgery has worked as no pain or pins and needles like I had for months before. 

Good luck 

• Posted

I had mine done yesterday and they have put a bug bandage on and I'm in a sling the doctor which done the operation said he would come round after and tell me how it went but he did not and now I am left not knowing what to do as they told us nothing the only thing I do know is rah I have disposable stitches as I asked before they took me to theatre xx

So kinda clueless what to do any advice?

• Posted

Hey. How you feeling? Did you stay calm yesterday? I had mine done at 1 yesterday. Just relax.keep hand elevated Fir 48 hours and just wiggle fingers to prevent stiffness. Keep hand dry until stitches dissolve. iv got to get mine removed on 26th. X
    • Posted

Hello feeling weird as can't move fingers as they put a strong nerve block in, I have got up and taking strong ibuprofen but swelling won't go down which is making bandage tight rolleyes

Had mine do at 3.45pm and was finished at 4.30pm but I was put to sleep, I was calm until I got in the anasetic room, my doctor drew on my arm aswell but it won't come off as he done it In black permanent pen x

Hope you are ok did think about you yesterday smile

• Posted

You'll be fine.my bandage tight and swollen fingers too. My arm numb too but i know it'll go down.  watch Jeremy kyle. It'll make you feel better! Lo l. I got a cow onesie on and drinking tea.let your family spoil you for a couple of days. I'm sure you don't want to make loom bands anyway. I mentioned you to my surgeon yesterday and he said your very young for this op.you must have been hurting lots. thinking of you. Chin up.take your meds and this is you on the mend now. X I need another cuppa so I'm gonna get my 16 year old out of bed to help.then go out for a walk to break the boredom as I'm usually active.
    • Posted

Love a bit of Jeremy kyle lol and yeah I am in pjs ands drinking tea too but hard as hot to left hand and I am right handed, yeah it's because I was go crutches for 4 years as I dislocated my knee so it started that way, the hospital didn't give me any medication it tell me what to take so I just been taking ibuprofen, haha enjoy waking your 16 year old up smile 

You take care as well and will probably right soon for more advice lol smile 

• Posted

Hi leah, I am due to have operation on my right hand on 1st december. this site is really helpful, i am nervous about having it done, and was on point of cancelling as my symptoms have eased a lot over last couple of weeks. this seems to be due to me being quieter at work and not having so much typing to do all day. I am wondering wether to delay but by the sounds of it it will not get better. I have had the nerves tested and the results were bad for the right hand. Am still undecided, and think I will ask my doctor some more questions before the op! I wonder how long recovery will be to go back to the gym for example. how is your hand now? 
    • Posted

Hi Sharon....good luck with your decision! I had my left hand done on November 7th and the right is going under the knife this Friday....3 weeks later.  I tested moderate to severe on the left and moderate on the right.  The surgeon said that since I had worn the braces for a number of months at night and there was no material improvement that the only way to prevent permanent nerve damage was to have the surgery. The pins and needles when holding the phone, a book, a newspaper etc. and my constantly dropping things were driving me crazy for a long time.  Recovery on my left has been suprisingly smooth.  Hope for the same with the right !  Good luck with your decision. !  There's alway time for surgery....most importantly is to be comfortable with the idea of it and of the recovery period following.  smile

BTW...I have just started a new group on FB today  Carpal Tunnel Surgery Recovery. If you're on FB do come and join me !  I'm going to post articles etc. and hope others do too !

• Posted

Update!!  The name of the facebook group was changed to I Survived Carpal Tunnel Surgery !  We are only 3 months old and have just passed to 400 members mark! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.