Carpal Tunnel surgery....I have to make a decision??

Posted , 32 users are following.

I have had a nerve conduction test about 4weeks ago and have been told today that i have Carpal Tunnel. My doctor is going to refer me to the hospital for surgery, is there any questions i should ask when i get to see the consultant? I do not know much about it, ihave it in my right hand, i am abit worried after reading some of these stories on this forum. Is there anyone who surgery has worked for?

3 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My carpal tunnel was confirmed today in my right hand after months and months of pain even after injections  my cause was computer use now I'm retired and spend less time on a PC and going to have this operation takes about 2 hours or so and I hope it works no guarantee but fingers crossed if I can that it does work 
    • Posted

hi howard, had the op done undeR general, two days ago, and have had Hardly any discomfort. The condition was giving me pain, afterwards its odd that the tingling and numbness has stopped. Would have had it done a long time ago if i had known. Go for it! I got my old hand back 👍🎈😄
    • Posted

Hi Nicoline hope your recovery continues and that you have no further problems my procedure is due for 1 May just can't wait so much pain it will be great when it's over and done
  • Posted

Louise

I had surgery to my right hand last April and it was the best thing I have done, I took 4 weeks leave from work

Without the surgery,  I would have struggled to continue to drive my car and even drying my hair and applying makeup were becoming impossible.

I have private healthcare so the procedure was done privately.

• Posted

Louise pleased that it works for you I have suffered so much pain it just has to be done its a minor op still comes with complications as risk of infection might not help or only slight improvment but must try after this pain now I have a rough feeling what a woman goes through giving birth you poor lovely women
  • Posted

I had mine done under general anesthetic, last wednesday, as i am not a hero. I Do think i have been very lucky, cause i had no pain at all afterwards, and am still waiting for the stitches to come out, to prove to me that something actually happened there. reading all these stories i feel very blessed. Day 1 do nothing with it said the surgeon. Day 2 gentle finger exercise.

have been resting it and holding it up.some swelling of fingers on day 1 and 2, but could move fingers ok.best thing though, the tingling and numbness are gone! 12 years of scaring myself for this op, was all for nothing! Please, do it and think: you will get your hand back, it is wonderful..

• Posted

Hi everyone. I had both of my carpal tunnels done 5 hours ago and hopefully tonite will be the first night I am not pacing the bedroom floor or hanging my arms out of bed. My experience was of feeling discomfort from the initial injection, then I was aware of what was happening but could not describe it as pain. Talking to the nurses is a good distraction. I always think that your imagination is your biggest enemy in these situations.

I now have two very sore hands, but hey, it's done, and I'me hopefully free from those dreaded sleepless nights. 

For anyone wondering wether to go ahead with it, I would say that the pain and suffering with the syndrome is far far worse than the discomfort I experienced.  FREEDOM !!!!!

• Posted

Hi! I am going to have the carpal tunnel surgery tomorrow, some of my co workers have told me who that had it done they went right back to work within a week My doctor told me i would has to stay out of work for two weeks ,, I work early childcare and tend to 2 yrs old,, I am bit worried for I have to go back to work !! My pre op nurse said I would be put to sleep> we shall see I have it in both hands ,, my hand go to sleep when I drive plus oh the pain I have when I wake up,,  kind of worried!!

• Posted

I was pottering in the garden after 4 days. Had both mine done 7 days ago and I could def do light work now. But, I'me a builder so gonna wait another week till stitches come out and play it by ear.

Everyone seems to heal / recover at different rates so really I would resign myself to sitting tight until the stitches come out. 

• Posted

19 days and back building. Hardly see the scars now. Unbelievable. Slight numbness in one thumb and middle finger but hey!,,
  • Posted

My 88 year old mother is soon to have Carpel Tunnel surgery and we haven't been able to find out what she will be able to do following the surgery. She lives alone and looks after herself totally, so needs to dress, wash and feed herself. The only info she has been give is about keeping the hand elevated for 48hrs and then keeping the wound dry, and not driving for a couple of weeks. Can anyone provide any advice as to what they have been able to do, and what they have needed help with, especially cooking and dressing? Many thanks in advance.
  • Posted

Hi Louise

I Know its been a while since you had your surgery but i just wondered how you had been and if you have had any adverse complications since? Initially i said i did not want surgey as i had heard so many terrible things so the consultant told me to think about it and come back in six months, well i have made an appointment to see him again in october where i wll have to decide if i want to have surgery or not?

• Posted

Hi, has anyone had this surgery that is in manual work? I have just started a new job as a housekeeper and am concerned at the prospect of 6-12 weeks off. The job involves stripping and remaking up to 30 beds, wrestling with Henry (hoover) 😉 and general cleaning. For those that have had the op, how long until you felt ok to use your hand to that extent? Work have been great and said to take as long as I need and job will still be there..phew..but feel bad 😕 Like others have said, nice to read positive comments regarding surgery, after reading other posts on several sites I was contemplating whether I should go ahead..

• Posted

Usually surgery is not the first option.  Using night time hand splints , resting my hands and changing some minor things calmed my carpal tunnel down for 5 years after my diagnosis.  My daughter had success with her CT surgery but I cannot say the same. Surgery should be a last resort not the first.
    • Posted

I had surgery on both hand 3 yrs ago and they are still dingling and numb.  So  I tried a nuwrap surgery on my left hand and it is worst. Don't do surgery.  I now have to sleep with special gloves on.  If I diden.t have my Faith I don.t know how I would exist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.