carpal tunnel surgery post op

Posted , 116 users are following.

I had my surgery  carpal tunnel syndrome 7 weeks ago on my dominant right hand.  My job requires alot of manual handling with adults with learning difficulties and pushing of heavy wheelchairs therefore I am still off work.  I am in constant pain and scar area is solid and tender feels lumpy.  I started physio exercises 2 weeks ago and hadnt really done much before that except wiggle fingers as I had not been given any advice at all post op.  2 weeks ago I couldnt even make a fist or reach my thumb to each finger, now I can make a fist and touch all finders and am using it normally but with alot of pain, more so at night and shooting pains, my grip is extremley poor which worries me after this length of time.  I am scheduled to have my left one done in around 6-8 weeks but I am now considering cancelling as I worry constantly that this will not resume to 100% mobility. Has anyone had this problem after this length of time? and did it improve up to 12 weeks post op?  any reply would be appreciated.

8 likes, 191 replies

191 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Pamela

i am 13 weeks post op and still have unexpected sharp pain occasionally. There is no rhyme nor reason to the pain but it does get less.

with regards the lumpiness, if it is still pink massage is supposed to help. If it is not too painful really press into the lumps with one finger in circular movements, any hand cream will make it better. Are you free of the pins and needles? I am and keep reminding myself how awful it was being woken every night with pain.

i understand it can take months for the nerves to repair and also to learn their job again. I was advised to speed up this process by using different stimuli. E.g. Cotton wool, toothbrush, rough towel. Just run these over  the scar and let the nerves have regular experiences.

hope some of this helps

best wishes Elainne

• Posted

I had carpal tunel release and cubital release on December 8/2015. still have shooting pains in to palm especially at night. i've read all these replies and never really tried massages on scar. I have full mobility  Was really worrying about still having pain but now feel lucky. My doctor did tell me to take it easy on that arm  but have had to shovel snow and even grocery shopping can be tough. You inevitably use that arm.I'm a new widow so have to do most things alone. Best to all, Sandy

• Posted

I am thrilled to not have the pain I had from the carpal tunnel.  I'm only about 5 weeks out.  I'll try the nerve process you suggested!  Still very sore if I have to use the palm of the hand, but so excited to return to work just typing! 

• Posted

Sorry for your loss. I'm 20 days post-op from both a cubital release and simple repeat carpal tunnel (basically dr didn't find scar tissue so re-released) . I'm doing ok but am a mom and need to have 2nd one done before I can settle my for car accident. It's weird isn't being cut in 2 places?

• Posted

How many weeks after your surgery did you go back to typing. My surgery was one month ago. I am typing but not for long periods of time. Just when answering my daily emails...15 minutes everyday. My left hand where a small lump has formed where the stitches were. Plus it feels warm. You experience that as well?
  • Posted

Hi pamela

I had my surgery almost 5 weeks ago. My scar is taking a while to heal. Puffy, sore and still sometimes hand swells. I am at work but cannot use it at work for another 2 weeks. Anything work related is repetitive which is a big no no. Then gradual addition to use hand. I am encouraged to use it for everyday though and I notice improvement everyday. 

I cannot touch my thumb to all fingers yet but have my physio exercises that I do frequently. Don't be discuraged. Everyone heals diferrently. One you get your mobility back then you will have strengthening exercises. I still sleep with a wrist support at night to ensure that I'm not bending it improperly.

Hope this helps.. Don't Force it too quickly  you don't want to hurt it. Its a slow process. .

• Posted

My doctor did not provide me a wrist support. In fact he had it supported for one week after the surgery, and when I came back for follow up in one week he said I didn't need one anymore because that would interfere with the healing process.

• Posted

I am 4 weeks post op and I never had a wrist support. My right hand is worse then my left. I still have tingling and palm pain in the right ringers!  Very frustrating. 
  • Posted

Hi Pamela

I had my op 11 months ago.  Please hang on in there! Your strength will get better as time goes on.  It took me several months to be able to pick my shopping up.  I used Bio Oil and rubbed it into the scar and now it has almost gone.  Massage your neck, shoulder and arm every day.  Have a look on YouTube for details about this. The tingling will get better, but give it a chance.  Exercise your fingers, but don't try and over do things.  Do be patient with yourself.

• Posted

WoW so glad to have come across this thread and find others who too had or have gone through similiar experiences. Thank you for the name of that oil. My muscle tissue tho was severe on the left palm of my hand. I was wondering if you think the rubbing of the oil and massage will eventually cause the numbness to my finger tips where finger printing takes place to go away. Procedure done to my left hand. It has been one month. My right hand is beginning to tingle and become numb now and I have not had the carpal surgery yet for waiting for the left hand to have at least two months into the healing process.
  • Posted

Hello Pamela,

Just a quick note I had surgery on both hands 1year ago and my fingers are still numb, dr. wants to do a different surgery as 2nd nerve test showed no improvement on left hand and right hand got worse.  I would wait if I were you.  I wish I never had this done at all.  God bless and good luck.

• Posted

Hey joann,

I understand everything you are going through. I had my surgery on feb 18 2015. My hands hurt so bad still, I can't even do the small stuff like brush my baby hair. They cut the inside of my head and my elbow. Im begging my doctor to help me, but he want. My nerve test show that my nerves are damaged and I can't find help from anyone. Its like they know each other and covering each other backs. I HATE I had this surgery

• Posted

Hi Pamela

I had carpel tunnel surgery almost 4 weeks ago swelling only just gone down still cant do much with my hand still have pain worried as im a care assistant my job is phyiscal like yours dont know when will be able to go back so fed up wished hadnt had it done now had to go back to the drs was told should have been doing exerises hospital never told me feel so let down definatly not going to have other one done wish u lots of luck.

Best wishes

Lisa

• Posted

Lisa, It has been one year since my surgery on both hands at the same time and my hands are still numb,dr. wants to do 2nd surgery I talked with him and told him no. I myself believe you need to look on line for exercise to do for your hands, but don't overdue it, buy vitiam E capules and open them and massage your scars, but they must be completely healed. I am giving my hands another year to get better and I am praying for Gods'Healing for myself and all those dealing with this. 
    • Posted

Hi Joan

Bless you i really hope things get better for you, thank you for your advise i just wish they had told me about the exercises in the first place but like you have looked them up on the web just so worried to when i can get back to work i hope we all manage to conquer this for such a little op the after part is awful xx

• Posted

Hi Lisa

I am now post op 9 weeks and still struggling with pain and some swelling, I can use it almost normally but really aches during and after driving and evening are worse with the pain! I was the same as you no advice about exercise until I saw my surgeon at post op 5 weeks , I then started Physio immediately and continue intensive exercise ! When I wake in the morn I cannot close my hand and have to prise it closed to get it moving again !! I am giving it  2 more weeks and if I'm still not happy with my recovery I will be seeing the surgeon again! I should be having left one done in 2 months but I am going to cancel. This has not been a good outcome for me at present. I hope things improve for you but if you worried go back . Good luck .

Regards Pam

• Posted

Hi Pamela,

Bless you iam regretting having this done! i think its awful  how no advise is given untill weeks after the op delaying reablement. I really hope things improve for you soon i go back in a couple of weeks to see the consultant im hoping things have improved by then scar is so sore again and now have a blister appeared on it im still not driving which is frustrating not enough grip yet. I really hope things work out for you all the best.

Best wishes

lisa x

• Posted

Thank you...so kind of you. Me too for you as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.