carpal tunnel surgery post op

Posted , 116 users are following.

I had my surgery  carpal tunnel syndrome 7 weeks ago on my dominant right hand.  My job requires alot of manual handling with adults with learning difficulties and pushing of heavy wheelchairs therefore I am still off work.  I am in constant pain and scar area is solid and tender feels lumpy.  I started physio exercises 2 weeks ago and hadnt really done much before that except wiggle fingers as I had not been given any advice at all post op.  2 weeks ago I couldnt even make a fist or reach my thumb to each finger, now I can make a fist and touch all finders and am using it normally but with alot of pain, more so at night and shooting pains, my grip is extremley poor which worries me after this length of time.  I am scheduled to have my left one done in around 6-8 weeks but I am now considering cancelling as I worry constantly that this will not resume to 100% mobility. Has anyone had this problem after this length of time? and did it improve up to 12 weeks post op?  any reply would be appreciated.

8 likes, 191 replies

191 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I know you are suffering but try and remember how dibilitating it was before the surgery. I'm sure you will heal in time. I will be honest, I have had both hands done and didn't have any pain or swelling after. I also received plenty of information and saw the surgeon every week for six weeks after. It was honestly the best thing I ever did. It does sound like a lack of information is a major problem, can you not contact the hospital/ surgery where it was done and ask them questions? I really hope things improve soon.
  • Posted

My case is similar to yours. I am also right handed. I had my surgery June 2013 and still suffering with pain.  It will take a little longer to get your fingers moving but continue to do so. I can no longer work because of my surgery.  Make sure you keep your hand elevated, this will help some.  Hold off on your left hand for now.  Hopefully, your doc is better than the one I had.

I now have RSD (nerve damage). I wish you all the best with your recovery.

• Posted

Hi Pamela, I was just wondering how your recovery is going now? It's been over 7 weeks since I had surgery and I'm still struggling with constant pain and hoping it will subside soon!
    • Posted

Hi Lynne, I was discharged from my Physio this week but to continue with massage on the hard lump , my hand still very stiff on waking and have to manipulate it closed to get it going . The pain has subsided now , I think overall it's taken over 3 months to get to this stage so give yourself another 6 weeks but keep exercising and massaging . Iv taken up swimming and this gas helped my hand a lot. Good luck

Regards Pamela

• Posted

Thanks Pamela, how long did you have off work? I'm signed off until 1st October and the doctor wants to see me again then to reassess. Although I work in a bank it involves a lot of heavy lifting and using machinery and as I can't even brush my teeth without pain I don't think I'll be much use while I'm there! I'm going on holiday next week so I shall do some swimming while I'm there!

regards Lynne 

• Posted

hello i had my surgery 11/19/14 had the stitches removed 12/01/14, i have had shooting pains in my hand for several days and swollen fingers my index finger hurts the worst, my doctor prescribe me meds for the swelling, today 12/03 it is still sort of swollen i can make a half fist, but my fingers are still numb to the touch. i was told just to exercise the fingers and use vitamin E oil to the palm of hand. i am praying my hand gets back to 100% but i have been told that will not happen. i also ride a harley and they have told me that was some that added to my problem. i am hoping to get back on my HD by march. prayers to all that have had this surgery.
    • Posted

Hi nancy

Please don't be disheartened it's very early days I felt exactly the same even 8 weeks post op!! I said I'm sorry I had it done, but I'm 6 months post op now and even though my hand is very stiff in the mornings I am no longer suffering with the awful burning and numbness that always kept me awake ! I am now suffering the same with left hand and will be having surgery on 20 jan 2015. It's important to exercise your hand I wasn't told about exercises until I was 6 weeks post op and then had hand therapy but think if I knew about this sooner my hand would have recovered quicker and better and I may not have had this stiffness I have now ! Good luck and make sure you rub cream E45 was recommended by my physio into the scar regularly to prevent scar tissue developing. 

Regards Pam

• Posted

Hi Nancy

hope you don't mind me butting into you posts to ask a question.

Is your numbness the same as before your surgery or have you found any different degrees of numbness pre and post surgery?

I've also just had carpol surgery (only 36 hrs) and experiencing complete numbness in my index and middle fingers which I only had temporary pre surgery and which a good shake of the hand would release,also I have good movement in my fingers and not really a lot of pain.

the reason I picked your post is I also ride motorcycles the main reason for my op and I've found myself lay here at 3 in the morning worrying and seeking answers.

so basically have you spoken to your surgeon about your symptoms and can you feel your numbness changing at all?

and do you think I'm expecting to much to soon.

i was expecting pain but not complete deadness.

kind regards

craig

• Posted

craig, today my scar is like rough hard skin. i still am having some minor shooting pains near my wrist my fingers are still fat feeling. just took the last steriod pill.. my sympton was moderate to severe closer to severe.. dr abby said i would probably always have the numb feeling in my finger tips. i can't touch my pinky to my thumb yet... and i sleep with my brace on at night. also, feel like i dont have as much strength in my hand as i did.. but, was told keep exercising it.. hope, you are doing better.
  • Posted

Hi All....it is 4.5 weeks for me on the left hand and 10 days on the right hand.  My pre-op pins and needles cleared up immediately as a result of the surgery in each of the hands, but the numbness in the finger tips of the worse hand did not as tested at the 10 day stitch removal appointment (tested with that two prong thingie they use)j.  Am back to the surgeon tomorrow for stitch removal in my right hand and will see what's what then. We are a new group on Facebook (now up to 45 members in just two weeks).  It's a closed group so just ask to join.  Comments are not seen by the public...only by group members. We share experiences, pictures, advice etc. The group is called Carpal Tunnel Surgery Recovery...hope to see you all over there.smile
    • Posted

Sure is! Name was changed to "I Survived Carpal Tunnel Surgery! " smile
    • Posted

hi, i just tried to find your group on facebook and nothing came up?
    • Posted

Be careful with this group.

My introductory post was deleted even though it didn't break any rules of the group. The admin tagged me in a post saying I should read the rules and search the group if I was looking for information rather than ask in a post. When I clarified that I did indeed do that and apologized for thinking it was a community instead of a read-only group, I was blocked from the group with no explanation.

I've never been treated in such a rude, unfriendly, unwelcoming manner by someone whom I hoped would lead me to find others who were going through CTS recovery. Instead I was met with hostility and attitude right out of the gate. This person has no business running a support group if she can't be remotely supportive.

I searched out this group because of the recommendations I saw here. I'm extremely disappointed. Thank you so very much for your "help".

Matti Frost

• Posted

Hi,

I started reading this discussion because I was a bit worried about pain in my upper wrists. I had my right carpal tunnel op on 5th Nov (5 weeks ago) and the left on 27th Nov. I now realise that I need to have more patience, and it's early days yet. I had no swelling afterwards but was given a leaflet with exercises to do. I started these immediately and can now use both hands normally but with some wrist pain, worse when driving.

I think I have been lucky after reading of your various problems. I think the answer is early and regular exercise.

My night time pins & needles has gone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.