Carple tunnel surgery recovery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed from my GP in October for carple tunnel and have been taking antinflamatory meds and wearing a splint 24/7 and have no improvement. They have scheduled me for a nerve test then told surgery will be next, so just wondering what the recovery is like? Also wondering how little Nguyen I could be off work? I work at a grocery store so lifting up to 50 lbs is a daily thing and repetitive motion with my wrist is needed. Right now i can’t go without the brace . If I try to not wear brace I’m in so much pain if my wrist even bends a little in any direction. I am so sick of this brace. I would just like to know what the recovery will be like and how long I might be out of work for so if anyone could give me a little advice and clarify what the recovery is like I would greatly appreciate that. I also wonder what are the do’s and dont’s after surgery ? Thank you in advance

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Surgery easy and not painful. You will need at least a month off because of the lifting. Healing is fast. I had severe in both hands, 1 done in nov one in dec. I m still having numbness and Loss of sensation in fingertips but Dr says if it is severe it takes a while for nerves to regenerate. It s not painful just agitating as I can’t pick up little items and writing impaired. Everyone is diff. I had the neurologist testing both with needle and shock and it was found that c5/6 in neck could hav pinch. Dr was not 100 percent CTS would work but I opted to do . Prob should have done mri first
    • Posted

They are doing the nerve test to see how much is due to carple tunnel and how much is due to neck issues, but just trying to do my homework to know as much as possible. How long was your hand. Wrapped and braced? How long before you were able to use your hand? I just have it in my left hand not in my dominant hand.
    • Posted

i have my done in feb. surjery is not bad have to be care full after surjery. need good care. some days r good nd some r pain full. u will need at least 4 weeks off. i know some who didnt rest fully she is still in pain after six month of surjery. good luck
  • Posted

Wrap and brace on only 9 days, no pain just can’t get wet.then I kept a band aide on so I wouldn’t hit it. Now 3 mos later can’t eveen c scar which was tiny anyway
    • Posted

Wow sounds like you had a great outcome, just praying I have your luck , thank you for your comment 
  • Posted

Everyone is different. Surgery is no big deal. I had a short cast and stitches for I think two weeks. I had both hands done. My left is normal. My right still numb and pins and needles after a year. What ever you do make sure you where a padded (vibration reducing) glove to cover your palm when you go back to work. Good luck to you.
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice I truly appreciate everyone’s advice that have gone through this already
    • Posted

i have static electric shock after surjery very strong one. does any one else got these
    • Posted

What does the vibration reducing glove look like and wher do you get one?
    • Posted

I feel like buzzing electricity in my hands from time to time daily.z tips of fingers still numb 3 mos out
    • Posted

Not really, it’s worse. Having mri Thursday to c if C5/6 pinch innneck
  • Posted

Depending if your from Uk or somewhete else . To what advice you get. If Uk and manual worker you get 6wks of work. Office worker 2/4 wks. I had a bulky bandage on for 10 days Then stiches out. They gove you excercises to do at home. Get e45 cream to massage the scar. The strenth in my hand was poor for a while but all good now. Its been 1yr since had op i still get some numbness pins n needles at night. But it 80% better than before op. I get my other 1 done next week. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.