Cartiva - Has anyone had it?

Posted , 157 users are following.

I'm looking looking at looking at getting looking at getting this. Anyone with experience here?

4 likes, 836 replies

836 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Had a cheilectomy and a cartiva; required a bone graft as well five days ago. Had severe pain after the ankle block wore off for another 24 hours. This is Day 5 post op.

My surgeon is very busy so I thought to try this site for info and support.

• Posted

Hi, I had the Cartvia implant 12 months ago. Post op pain was no big deal. Progress has been steady over the last year to the point now when I don't even think about it. Deterioration in the joint was as bad as it can be, totally bone on bone. My surgeon told me I would not regain the movement but should get the pain relief. He was just about spot on. I have it again in the blink of an eye?

• Posted

does the toe flex up or down at all? Does it affect what shoes can be worn? Getting you out of pain is main goal, so sounds like that was achieved. Did you go to PT? How long from surgery did it take to become pain free? Are you able to be active? Sorry for all the questions, I am a similar situation getting ready to have the surgery.

• Posted

Karen - my experience is pretty much the same as Will’s - I had my surgery about 15 months ago. I am pretty much pain free and also don’t really think about my foot now. I have better range of movement but obviously not perfect - and this summer wore a pair of shoes with 3 inch heels to a wedding - first time I’d worn heels in years! I couldn’t wear huge heels but I wouldn’t want to!! I’m extremely active - hiking, horse riding etc. Like Will said - I’d have it done again in the blink of an eye. 
    • Posted

that's encouraging news. I hope I will get out of pain, and maybe get more motion than I currently have. I can wear wedges that are basically flat forms, and 2-3 inch heel with a metatarsal pad underneath my foot, but it hurts with every step, so hopefully cartiva is going to help. Did you have PT to help you get the toe moving?

• Posted

do you have any pain on the underside (ball of your foot)? Did you try any physical therapy? Did you have any movement before the surgery? Just wanting to know what to expect post op.
    • Posted

am6 did you have any ROM before the surgery? Also do you have any pain  on the ball of your foot?
    • Posted

I had pain in the ball of my foot at times. My doctor said that was because my foot was trying to compensate for the bone on bone situation with my big toe. Physical therapy would not have helped my situation.
    • Posted

Yes, the pain went away on the bottom of my foot. Of course, I am still walking carefully, because it has just been 5 days. But, sometimes I even walk from one room to the other in the house, without even having the velcro shoe on and my foot feels fine. I am really amazed at how well my foot is doing and I can even wiggle my big toe.  
    • Posted

Just had my 3 mos post op appt today and spoke with my doctor about this ball of the foot pain and he said it is imflamed tissues from the surgery and give it 9 mos to resolve. So I am not going to worry about it I guess.

• Posted

Nancy, is he saying it might be sesamoid pain, or just inflammation.? Did he recommend you wear any sort of pad under ball  of your foot, like a metatarsal pad? Is your toe moving? Going in for this in the morning. Just want idea of what to expect. I know everyone is different.
    • Posted

He didn't mention any inserts just said give it time. He did tell me to wear compression ped socks to get the swelling down.  This will relieve the pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.