Cartiva - Has anyone had it?

Posted , 157 users are following.

I'm looking looking at looking at getting looking at getting this. Anyone with experience here?

4 likes, 836 replies

836 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks Krista. I was scheduled for Cartiva in August, and find it frustrating that I have to put my efforts towards fighting my insurance company and filing appeals, when I want to be forcing  on recovery from the surgery and getting my active lifestyle back. Guess I don't have a choice, its either fight and appeal or give up and I don't much like the last option.

• Posted

Hi Jan,

Do you have a Cost plan with HealthPartners? If yes, does it have the prescription drug plan attached to it or not? You can move between brands of Cost plans throughout the year if there is no prescription drug plan attached. If you would like to talk about this privately, I can provide my email address. Beings Blue Cross has already approved the surgery in my situation, it would be an option for you to change your health plan to get the surgery done.

• Posted

Jan who is your insurance with. Mine is Obamacare.  It is Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois and it went right through.
    • Posted

Can I use you as an example of other insurers paying in my next appeal? If so, please share your name & address (just City/State). I collecting evidence of others that had the procedure covered. Thx!

• Posted

sorry meant to send that as a PM. No I do not have insurance through the marketplace.
  • Posted

PM sent.
    • Posted

Chicago Illinois surgery done at Skokie hospital in Skokie Illinois by dr armen kilikian who is part of northshore medical Group. 
  • Posted

I had the cartiva implant yesterday and am very pleased so far.  I had read the forum before the surgery and some of the responses gave me the impression it was going to be painful.  The nerve block wore off early this morning and of course my foot is sore but the discomfort is certainly tolerable.

I was given post op shoe to wear fro 2 weeks, but I can fully weight bear and walking is not a problem. So far, so good...will give an update in 2 weeks.

Karen

Baltimore, MD

• Posted

Karen I didnt think the recovery was bad at all.  Day three hurt the worst for me. I only took tylenol and ipuprophen for pain as I can't take codeine.

• Posted

Im also avoiding the codeine, I did try one Tramadol but it makes me sleepy.

thanks for the day 3 info..will let you know how it goes for me.

• Posted

Day 3 I took 3 ibuprophens and it knocked the pain right out.  It was a lifesaver. Day 4 the pain subsided and I was fine except for the pulling of the stitches.  There is a huge facebook group if you are interested in joining. It is people waiting for surgery, people that just had it and old timers.
    • Posted

I am on day 5, had this done Wed, Oct4th. I took alieve last evening, haven't needed anything else. No real post op pain can walk around with just wedge shoe, without problem. I do have a compression wrap that I came home with from surgery. Hard to tell how much the joint is really moving because of the wrap, but I have wiggled my toes and tried to bend back and forth. Mainly icing and elevating as much as possible. I was told to do this for first two weeks until stitches come out. Was into a shower easilty with a press and seal bag. My big toe definitely has some bruising but that's to be expected, doesn't look that  swollen  but that could be because of compression bandage. So far so good.

• Posted

Had my implant Oct. 10th in Charlotte, NC, so 6 days out today.  First two days when nerve block wore off were quite painful, used the narcotics prescribed.  On the third day I cut that medication in half, and by day four was fine with only Tylenol.  Was told to have foot up and iced (every 2 hrs) 24/7 for the first 72 hours and then as much as possible over the first 2 weeks. Could not put weight on foot (heel) the first couple days so crutches were required and I navigated the stairs on my rear end!  By day 4 using only 1 crutch for support and putting some weight on the heel (with protective velcro shoe).  Today I can walk without crutch, although slowly, but have kept the crutch close by as I do feel more stable with it.  Go back for post op appointment in another week.  Can wiggle all toes with no pain, and no PT was prescribed by my Dr yet.  I am very pleased right now with my lack of pain and the progress in mobility over just 6 days.  Hoping in a few weeks to be back to driving and some normal activities!
    • Posted

It is an interesting ride. I had mine done on Sept 27 and felt great the 1st 2 weeks. Had my stitches out on Oct 9, no more ortho sandal and back to regular shoes. That has been interesting. The shoe fits fine as I never had any swelling. I just put a large band aid over where the incision is. But, I seem to be experiencing some throbbing aches. I have been taking a little ibuprofen for it. Perhaps it is all part of the healing process. I am going to call the doctor's office tomorrow to see if I can get some PT. I just am not sure how soon I should be wiggling my toe and how often. I might have started doing that too soon.   

• Posted

what kind of shoe did you put on when stitches came out? I still have a week to go before stitches out. I do get some occasional shooting pain, able to walk ok in post op wedge sandal, not sure how much to be bending toe back and forth, still have toe bruising also.
    • Posted

I wore soft leather loafers the first couple of days, but found that the ball of my foot was bothering me....there wasn't enough cushioning in the sole of the shoe. So I have been wearing my Clarks Brinkley sandals with an adjustable strap. They feel much better. Hoping the weather holds out as I live in MN! For the loafers, I am going to try a metatarsal patch or shoe liners and see if that helps. 

• Posted

khkorner, I am 2 1/2 weeks post op, had stitches and bandages off 2 days ago, had no pain at all when they were on, of course I am moving around more now, when I first got home, I went right back into hoka tennis shoe, decided that was a little too  of a hard soul so tried and wide sketcher, have also tried birkenstocks and some other sandals, nothing feels great as the toe is swollen, sore after doing ROM exercises, I was told to bend toe back and forth, not to force it. I am starting PT next week for muscle strenghtning and ROM, my toe is moving very little though
    • Posted

Karen,

I’m considering this surgery and i live in Charlotte. Who did your surgery? Are you doing well? I’m still going thru the posts, so if youve answered these questions further down, i apologize. smile 

• Posted

Hello, How do feel about your Cartiva implant now that it's been a few years? I'm in Matthews and need to find a doctor who can do this for me. Please let me know your doctor's name since I don't know any in Charlotte who do Cartiva implants. Do you recommend the doctor who did the implant for you? Thank you very much! Steve Baird text 704-771-8399

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.