Cartiva - Has anyone had it?

Posted , 157 users are following.

I'm looking looking at looking at getting looking at getting this. Anyone with experience here?

4 likes, 836 replies

836 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Post 5 weeks. No pain. 80% ROM. Have been walking 3 miles for last month. Minor  ache when walking long distance. 
    • Posted

All of these sound like " Miracle" recoveries... I do believe that the Doctors names and locations are real though.

• Posted

I had the surgery just over 5 months ago. I had 9 weeks of PT. I still have pain and mild swelling, and am still only walking short distances. I am not using pain reducers and am no longer icing. Pain is not what it was before, but is still far from where I want to be. Recovery is ever so slow. I have to continually remind myself to reset expectations. My surgeon, who is also a teaching professor at a medical college said that its a year to recover from corrective foot surgery and 1.5 yr for foot surgery involving an implant. The FDA report to a degree  supports this showing that it takes 2 years for a Cartiva patient to reach the same level of satisfaction with the surgery that a fusion patient has after only one year. Unless there is hard evidence that the implant has failed (as it has for some), its a waiting game and I think/hope it will be worth it to have the pain reduction that a fusion patient has along with the flexibility that a fusion patient does not have. 
    • Posted

I completely agree with you, I have had a similar situation with my recovery..I have found that the Cartiva implant marketing lends itself to be a much quicker recovery then that of a fusion... with more desirable results... I am also hoping for more improvement with time.. I am 5 months out... my x-rays looked awesome.. placement was perfect.. my issue is swelling when I stand to long...& I am still unable to put my full weight on the foot when I walk...p.t. helped a lot..

• Posted

I had the implant done over a year ago and it was one of the worst optional medical decisions I've made.   My doctor had excellent words to say about the Cartiva implant, he was the first and one of only a few that have performed the operation many times in Maryland.  I was a very good candidate for it, had moderate pain pretty consistently and lots after strenuous exertion only in my right big toe. It was mostly bone on bone. There was no physical therapy needed or recommended afterwards and I followed Dr's instructions faithfully about wearing boot, walking etc... afterwards.   Now approximately 17 months after, I have pain from my ankle forward.   On top of the foot all along the incision area, the bottom, of incision area and left side of big toe.  Also along the bottom and side of the right foot by the little toe.  I have this almost all the time and dramatically after exertion.   It will wake me up at nights with stabbing pain, and also cramping of the 4 non surgical toes.   Dr. said he had recently gone to medical symposium where MANY doctors had complained their patients were having problems.  The Cartiva panel had no explanation and he describe them as looking uncomfortable.   I am having the implant removed and having the toe fused.   

• Posted

5 months post-op. Foot is worse than before. No motion bending my big toe forward. MRI revealed bottom of foot is  has arthritis and is painful. Dr. told me to get a hard carbon orthotic - did that, was not effective - more painful. Still icing. Going back and forth between a running shoe and the post-op surgical boot. Cannot walk without pain. Stairs almost impossible. Cortisone shot a month ago, swelling went down for two weeks but is back. Even touching my bone on the side of my big toe (which is supposed to be gone, thus the surgery) is extremely painful. Have to go elsewhere for another opinion/options. Trying to wait four more months since Dr. told me 9 months to heal, but intuitively, I feel something is wrong. Never would have had the surgery if I knew this outcome. I do not recommend at all.
    • Posted

I think you should go get another opinion! Something has to be available to help give you some relief.. I have been using dancer pads for the bottom of my foot...it gives me some cushion.. also Sketchers dlites slip on have been helpful...& Merrell sandals... I am really sorry to hear how difficult these last 5 months have been for you 😩

• Posted

My surgery was only cheilectomy (both feet), but 18 mos. later I still have pain when I walk too much, and so I am excruciatingly careful about the shoes I wear.  I wear mostly open-toed shoes, essentially flat.  The most important feature for me is cushioned soles.  I have very good luck with Clark's, and especially their "Cloud Stepper" line.  I'm confident that MBT's would also be beneficial, but they're $300 /pair.  Lot's of Clark's styles are in the $30 -50 range on sale.  Best of luck to you.

• Posted

I would like to hear from those who feel their surgery has been successful. Thus far, I would place myself in this category. I had Cartiva done 4 months ago. ROM is 40 % actively and 60% with weight bearing. No pain at rest and minimal with walking. I have been walking  3 Miles without difficulties for months now.   
    • Posted

Not the case for me...5 months out of surgery and therapy and I can say that I have some ok days... meaning I have healed from the surgery but no improvment from my pain that I experiencing before I had the surgery... A three mile walk is COMPLETELY out of the question!!
    • Posted

3 miles? I can't even go 3 blocks! 5 months on July 27. Worse for sure than prior to surgery.

• Posted

You and I are right along the same time line...of course we went on with the surgery hopeful that we would have some improvement? At the time I was willing to try .. but had I been told that I would be in the same shape or worse even a 10 percent chance of

no improvment ... I would NOT have had this surgery... I feel missled

• Posted

Yes, you are right!Definitely misled. I would have opted for the pin, which I have in my other foot - quick recovery, bump gone and I can wear normal shoes! So frustrating!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.