Cartiva - Has anyone had it?

Posted , 157 users are following.

I'm looking looking at looking at getting looking at getting this. Anyone with experience here?

4 likes, 836 replies

836 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The first thing I would say to anyone posting here, the rate of failure is 10% in the study. 

So its possible, that there have been 1000 placements in the US since it went live, if so if you would get about 100 people who have failures, that would mean, on this thread, 100 replies, guess what we have a 112.

now if it is 500, and we have 100 posters, it is also possible that the podiatrist community is placing these in cases that should be fusions and is being overly tempted by the preservation of recovery and range of motion.

My guess is that is the combination of these two.

I found these two articles to share with the group.

FDA APPROVAL DOCS

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/UCM496457.pdf

CARTIVA APPROVAL PROCESS COLOR ARTICLE

https://ryortho.com/2016/05/the-agony-and-ecstasy-of-cartivas-fda-panel-meeting/

• Posted

Thank you, Nicholas, for your research and your calm reasoning. I have been so busy that I have not been able to comment here, but I completely agree that there is plenty of evidence and documentation available for us to use in our pre-op decision making. And yes, a 90% success rate is exactly the same as a 10% failure rate, contrary to some comments here! It really is! If one does the necessary research and walks in with eyes wide open, then I don't believe there's a class action here. 

The number one reason for the choice of Cartiva is ROM (range of motion). Yes, a fusion would heal and result in less pain, just as Cartiva promises for 90% of patients. The Cartiva, however, results in a much improved ROM (fusion is no movement) and for people who are active, that is extremely important. Important enough to try it and then move to fusion if necessary.

It definitely could be that some who are not good candidates are being pushed toward the implants. In that case, it would be an action against a surgeon who advised the implant, not the manufacturer. 

The weight of evidence and documentation from Europe and North America are on the manufacturer's side. I feel for those who have not gotten the great results that I have. I think that since it's a new modality, there needs to be more info shared on post-op therapies and helpful healing techniques. I had a great surgeon, so that may have a large impact on outcomes, too. I'm only ten weeks out and I'm walking better with that foot than I have in years. I'm looking forward to getting the other foot done.

• Posted

I think the reasoning helps, it is the only way I know how to keep my biology from taking over! 

I had my left toe done April 20th, so it has been about 3 months. The ROM has been excellent, the pain was virtually gone at week 4, then I started range of motion and PT in earnest. The result for me was a pretty dramtic increase in pain under toe itself, in the pad of the big toe, this is subsiding now slowly. 

I then had my right one done June 15th, been about a month, this joint was worse, and the ROM was very limited and remains so now, but I am actively working to increase it. So I am just starting to walk, ride a bike and wear shoes on BOTH feet. 

I still cant really push off at max effort on either toe yet.

A question for anyone really, did they find the PT added soreness and pain, that has been my expereince?

Also, did anyone rapidly improve ROM from a pretty frozen one? My right one is not moving much and is sore, and tender, but is improving slowly, (reminder I am at 4 weeks.)

Would love to hear about improving ROM as a result of the Cartiva....thanks!

• Posted

I'm very curious about the selection process up front.  10% failure rate seems pretty high to me.  So the 2 variables primarily affecting the success rate, I think, would be skill/experience of the surgeon, and candidate selection criteria.

• Posted

Yes. I was on the lower end of the arthritic joint degeneration. So I have not had significant problems. AROM 40% and PROM %60 of non affected MTP joint.  4 months post. Have been able to walk 3 miles for past 2 months with minimal discomfort and no discomfort at rest. No PT at all. 
  • Posted

Ibhacevnot read the links but my initial response is.....That's making an awful lot of assumptions. Including Everyone who has had a "failure" is on this site. I have a feeling the failure rate is much higher than 10 % based on feedback from others and my personal surgeon. 10 % failure is also different than a 90 % success rate which is what we were lead to believe. Have YOU had the replacement? What is your vested interest if I may ask?

• Posted

Great question! I have to say that had I been told that I could be in the 10 percent.. I would NOT have had the surgery! I would not have risked it & I would have considered a fusion or nothing at all and lived with the pain... but I was led to believe that the Cartiva implant gave me more hope than the other options

• Posted

The way my joint was before the implant was tolerable. I could run, dance, stand on my tiptoes just not as high as the other foot because of limited range of motion. I was told by my doctor that this implant would improve range of motion. I could have tolerated the way my foot was for the rest of my life had I known it would turn out to be this traumatic. The implant failed miserably by eroding the bone away from everywhere it touched, causing a lot more pain then I ever had before, less range of motion and constant inflammation, my foot looks like Frankenstein now, and I am crippled with a noticeable limp. My doctor did not tell me anything else about the implant except that it served to keep the bones separated, he did not even tell me the name of it or offer any literature. Because he is a trained expert I trusted his judgment. Now every step is torture and no lawyer will take my case. I'm one of the 10% failures, but it affects 100% of the quality of life for me.

• Posted

I am really sorry to hear you had this experience. My suggestion would be to get in touch with Cartiva itself and see if they would offer any assistance in a revision procedure and what they recommend.

• Posted

I, too, and saddened by the folks who have not had good results. There are SO many factors that go into a positive outcome.....I just don't know if a class action is appropriate. When you read the comments on this thread (all 4392 of them, just kidding) you read of some who had stellar results and others so-so. Still others had negative outcomes. Of course, my situation colors my comments: I had stage four, completely rigid joints, so to have a big increase in ROM is awesome. Also, to have one of them pain free after implant gives me hope that the other foot (scheduled for fall 2018) will have a positive outcome, too.

We are all so different. Some of us are very active, some sedentary. Some exercise all the way up to surgery and are eager to resume asap. Some lose weight beforehand, to lessen stress on the joint, some are overweight. Some wiggle their toes (a lot, and yes, it is painful) in the surgical boot. Some do PT or home exercises after the boot. All of these are things that can, and probably do, affect the outcome for each patient. 

In the end, I think most of us are aware going in, that it's new, and it's possible that it won't work. It's sad that there are some who are not informed.....but then it's a smart thing to be an informed consumer. Trusting a doctor is not something that I do. I research, research, and then research some more. I even called the director of clinical ops at Cartiva with some of my questions. He was friendly and open and professional.

Going forward, I would call for more dialogue between doctors and patients, with the patients asking any and all questions desired. 

As for me, my research netted me an excellent surgeon and a great post-op routine. I'm looking forward to getting my other foot done.

• Posted

No more sports,biking,hiking playing with child. Just pain. I was much better before this. Looking forward to this doctor getting spanked. Not into lawsuits but he messed up. Cartiva has been worthless also. One year of terrible pain. 
    • Posted

Did you have bone spurs? I too have stage four and a big decision to make soon.
    • Posted

Thanks for the great reply. Can you share more of your ROM increase, my left is doing really really well, my right which was frozen now has 15-20, using the PT to expand it to match the left?

My post surgical protocol, was immediate weight bearing, boot for a few weeks.

PT for 4 weeks.

What was yours?

I am also planning to lose 20-30 lbs, as I am carrying some extra junk around, and need to lower the impact. Are you overweight like me?

I am riding a bike, stationary to do this, but really cant walk (far) yet given its 4 weeks this friday, have some tenderness limitations.

I was a 6 sport varsity athlete, and spent my entire life barefoot, and skiing and playing golf.....

Very active....

• Posted

Hi Linda, Yes, I had very large bone spurs. Some of the bone had broken away, too, so the surgeon not only needed to chip away the spurs, but clean up the fragments as well. That was one of the most exciting parts, to look at my foot and realize it was really mine -- it looked normal! No big knot on the top of the joint! (Grin)
    • Posted

Who did your surgery? I'm looking for a surgeon in the Greenville sc area. I live in Anderson sc. I've heard that Piedmont Orthopedics is really good.

• Posted

Would you be willing to share your surgeon with me and where he is located I did quite a bit of research but could not find a doctor that has done hundreds of these cartiva surgeries which is really what you need. When I would call a recommended surgeon they would be very vague about the number of these types of surgeries they did

Any help you could offer would be appreciated I am super active and a fusion is out of the question

• Posted

Hi, I am happy to share. My surgeon is Dr Michael Tollison. He practices at both locations of Piedmont Orthopedic Associates in Greenville SC. He's the best! Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.