Cartiva - Has anyone had it?

Posted , 157 users are following.

I'm looking looking at looking at getting looking at getting this. Anyone with experience here?

4 likes, 836 replies

836 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I would not recommend this product. My pain is so bad after 8 months I am still not in regular shoes. My sneakers I can finally walk in but not without pain. Pre surgery my pain level was much lower and I could wear regular shoes. Yes I did physical therapy and continue. My doctor says it was successful due to increased range of motion. But I really regret it, especially a whole winter in socks and Tevas. Yes my roomy winter boots were unwearable. Now I am forced to break in new sneakers that were hard before surgery. I can't wear sandals the rest of my life. The pain is an ache with no shoes, but a burning a few steps with regular shoes. And then stabbing within seconds. Don't do this lightly. I so regret it. Yes I had pain prior to surgery but not like this.

• Posted

But there is a lot of success. If the arthritis is very bad to begin with, then result may be poor. I am 3.5 months post and I am pain free. ROM 50-60% normal. Easily can walk unlimited distance. 
  • Posted

Do not do this surgery. I had it done Dec. 2017. I’m in so much pain now. Much more pain than before the surgery. I can’t move my toe. I’m limping now.
  • Posted

Do not do this surgery. I’m in more pain now than before I got this implant. I can hardly walk. I’m having another surgery in Sept. to remove it. The doctor who pushed this on me has ruined my quality of life. 
  • Posted

I can so relate. Mine was Feb 2018. Had another xray done and it was confirmed that the implant did nothing but push my bones back together - bone on bone and I am in a lot of pain. Doctor's advice - wait a full year - trying to tell me it will get better. I doubt it. I cannot run, walk more than a block or do any of the physical activities I once could. Cannot get into any shoes but a running shoe or a platform shoe that will hold my foot in place.

Arthritis on the bottom of my foot, which I have never had before. After a year, his suggestion is a bone fusion. Exactly what I was trying to avoid.

• Posted

I would gets new surgeon. Mine was done in April. Pain free at rest. 1/10 after walking miles.  
    • Posted

I agree with fusor.....I'm so sorry that you've not had a good experience, but a different surgeon may be your best answer. I'm three months past my surgery and pain free. Walking three miles will get me some slight soreness, but even that is diminishing. 

My surgeon did something that you might want to search for -- he left the implant sitting out further than the initial Cartiva guidelines suggest. He said he had been seeing excellent results, and I'm one of them. I feel for those who have not been blessed with pain relief -- I thank God for my good results!

• Posted

Hi Palmetto yes I am very interested to know who your surgeon was.

So many who did Cartiva have had bad results but yours is very promising news.

Who is your surgeon and where are you located.

• Posted

I am sorry to hear about the unsuccessful results of so many Cartiva surgeries... I am going on 6 months after my procedure and I have Finally gotten to the point where I can say that I am having some improvement... it's been a rough recovery and not what I was presented with iniataly... the swelling is just now starting to get better... I am able to walk without much pain.. but I can say that I can FEEL the implant.. I am aware that I have something in my foot.. almost like a pebble stuck in my shoe... most days are good but I still have some bad ones... I am not able to put on any other shoe other than a adjustable sandle or a slip on gym shoe... that being said there was a time when I would have given Anything to be where I am now..my surgeon has been there for me every step of the way... good luck to you all

• Posted

I saw that someone also had problems with Health Partners Insurance approving Cartiva Surgery.  I am unable to find that person on here as when I went to reply I had to sign in and lost it.  I am just inquiring if anyone else has not been able to get their surgery approved?
    • Posted

I have blue cross blue shield ppo .Iwas told that I would be covered as long as it was considered a medical necessity.. but they wouldn't give me a final decision until it was submitted following my surgery.. afterwards..it was covered 90/10 but I'm fighting it because the hospital also billed me for a toe fusion & for the Cartiva implant surgery!! My insurance company was NOT very much help & I am waiting for another revised bill from the hospital.. lots of aggravating hours on the phone with them both 😒

• Posted

Hi Patricia, So the cpt code was 28291, which my insurance said is "investigational"  I have never heard of this and I work in a hospital business office.  That's apparently not a covered service in my Health Partners plan.  I may have to just have the fusion instead of the Cartiva.  How was your recovery and are you happy with your decision?

• Posted

I am in MN and have a BCBS Medicare Cost plan. The surgery had to be pre-approved by BCBS. My surgeon asked for both feet to be approved and the surgery was completely paid for, even though I had my left foot done September 2017 and the right foot done October 2017. I was the first person that my surgeon put the Cartiva implant in. The 2nd operation seems to feel better than the 1st one. I am thinking of going back to have my left foot checked to see if the placement of the implant was too deep.   
    • Posted

I gave them the correct code & I was told that they don't go by codes... like I said I have been very displeased with BCBS & their own lack of interest in getting this straightened out... still waiting to hear back from them...as far as am I glad I had the surgery? It's been 6 months and a very long and hard recovery...I think I would have to get back to you on that when it's been a year... some days yes & then I have a bad day...I would be cautious about it

• Posted

Health Partners must have more stipulations.  Kind of scary knowing your surgeon hadn't done any until you!  I know that mine has done quite a few but he retires in Nov, which is sad because he is very good and did my bunion and neuroma surgeries.  I've had a lot of foot problems at 49!

• Posted

I have never had my ins deny any procedures before.  Thank you for sharing your experience Patricia, that's made me think about it more.  Especially if it's already been 6 mo.  It's also my second toe, not my big toe.  I haven't found anyone that has had that yet.

• Posted

I am not sure if it is available for the second toe? My insurance covered the Cartiva implant surgery 90/10.. But the hospital billed me for another surgical procedure..a big toe fusion same foot...and that's what I was trying to get s straightened out.. never had a fusion!!

• Posted

That sounds like that hospital will have to write off their mistake!  Shouldn't be your responsibility.frown

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.