Cartiva - Has anyone had it?

Posted , 157 users are following.

I'm looking looking at looking at getting looking at getting this. Anyone with experience here?

4 likes, 836 replies

836 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Do NOTget that implant. I had it removed 5 days ago. I’m already feeling better.
    • Posted

We are all different. I’m six months out and have no pain at rest and very mild doing walking. Significantly better than pre-surgery and continues to improve. I could easily walk miles and have been for months, many months. Range of motion is about 50% of normal toe. 
    • Posted

Ok... so I am 7 months out & I can honestly say that I am sorry I had the surgery... the last week was so bad I was struggling to get through the days...& then I have a couple of really good days.. it's so inconsistent , I feel like I traded one problem for another & I trusted my surgeon and I thought I did my research... but I feel like I was mislead... taking the implant out right now isn't an option..I am self-employed & can't afford to take more time off than I already did (3 weeks) to have the surgery.. so sorry I had the surgery in the first place...I feel lied to & only paitents like us can understand what it is like to have EVERY STEP HURT!!

• Posted

Maybe, the surgeons have been misled. But the success rate in UK has been documented for years. I too am 7 months post and thuyfar do not regret it at all. In your case, you may have to convert to a fusion. 
  • Posted

I had this surgery on my left big toe November 2017.  I still have limited range of motion and the joint is still slightly swollen.  After reading these reviews, I am wondering if my surgeon placed mine too deep with is why I still am having problems.  I can wear shoes with a shorter heel (about 2 inches) for short periods of time.  I doubt I will ever be able to wear my 3 to 4 inch heeled shoes ever again which is a bummer.  I actually have forced myself to use the row machine at the gym to help improve the toe's flexibility.  I would have the surgery redone if I am a candidate as I do not want a fusion.  A fusion cannot be reversed.

• Posted

I had Cartiva surgery 8 months ago. I still have pain in every step, and it may even be getting worse. Now that the swelling is completely gone, I notice that the flexor tendon on top (of the joint) is not visible, as it is on the good foot. This is most evident when I flex my toes upward. Even though I earlier had 9 weeks of PT, I now suspect that the flexor tendon is held captive by scar tissue, and I see no reason why that would not cause pain. Has anyone else noticed this?
  • Posted

I have met more than a few this failed on. My doctor claims no mistake but wants to do it over. Hard call. Plus who pays? If you are not a runner get a fusion. Or sue. 
  • Posted

I am 8 months out and still have pain. Doctor said wait a year. Won't give me pain medication so I resorted to CBD oil and it has helped. I have just been on it for 10 days but a little better with the pain. Going to see after 30 days if this does the trick.

• Posted

I can relate. My surgery was 2-27-18, so I am way beyond the six month recovery. Has an xray done 6 weeks ago and the implant was not even visible on my xray. My big toe is notwbone rubbing on bone and magically, I have developed arthritis. The bottom of my foot under the big toe is so painful with every step. The doctor told me fusion is the only remedy. I was very active, too and now not at all. The swelling around toe has still not gone down. The only shoes I can wear are Aero platform sandals (very expensive) but it's getting cooler and I have to find a closed toe shoe, which has proven to be almost impossible. Dr. said to wait a year before any other surgery. I obviously won't be going back to him!! This has totally changed my life and I do not recommend it for anyone. I was healthy when I had surgery, and now I limp all the time and am totally out of alignment. I started swimming for exercise but  my internist said I need some strength training (weights) and I have to do everything sitting down. Can't even shop or take a walk. Very disappointed and not sure what my next move will be....

• Posted

I had my operation a year ago. Oct. 2018. in Long Island, NY.

Did a lot of icing, leg raise but started immediately with ankle exercises in bed.

As soon as I was able to drive I started with physical therapy.

It still hurts a little, I was told it might take up to 2 years.

On the other hand - I can do everything sports wise. Wear regular shoes.

I think it depends on the Dr. for results. I'm happy I did the operation.

• Posted

6 months post. Minor discomfort at end ROM. Started wearing silicon spacer. Also just started running very sort distances to force increased ROM. Both seem to help.

• Posted

I'm 8 1/2 months from surgery on both toes. Had a lot of spurs that had to be cleaned out. And the Doc did not straighten the toes.

At first my recovery was incredible. I was driving in two days, working in five days, and playing tennis after 4 weeks. All with the Doc's approval.

However, the pain isn't going away like I had expected. It's way better than it used to be but I feel something with every step. Running is very uncomfortable. Playing tennis is not a problem at all. For some reason I don't feel anything even though I'm really hard on my feet. Go figure.

What I like about the surgery at this point is that I don't feel any pain when resting. There's no swelling, and the pain when walking is uncomfortable but tolerable. Would I do it had I known, yes I would because the only other option for me was fusion. And I'm pretty sure you can't play tennis with fused toes.

Our group in this forum is mostly stories about problems. Does anyone know anyone that has had a successful experience?

• Posted

went to get a second opinion. Second doctor stated that at a one year mark, results were different. i am at 8 months with pain everyday. There are some days the pain is at a 4 and some days at a 9. i realized when pain was at 4, i was driving or shopping but when at home I was at a pain level 9.

Didn't realize steps were a major problem. I. come down the steps flat footed and go up that way. Have to wait this out 4 more months.

• Posted

I am 7 months. No pain at rest. Minimal with walking. Probably will diminish over next 4 months. But I do not agree you should have level 9, even occasionally, at your stage of recovery. Hope I am wrong.

• Posted

I am 8 months out and I also have to go up and down stairs the same way.I do have some good days but it's not consistent & when it's bad I have to struggle to get through the day...& I don't know about anyone else but I can just FEEL that the implant is in there , I can tell that there's something in my foot.

• Posted

i am so happy to hear of someone who after 8 months is in the same boat that i am in! Has a second opinion. Results.. wait until a year before doing anything!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.