Cartiva - Has anyone had it?

Posted , 157 users are following.

I'm looking looking at looking at getting looking at getting this. Anyone with experience here?

4 likes, 836 replies

836 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am glad to hear that people after 8 months are still in pain. i feel foolish complaining every day but after getting asecond opinion, they say i am average.WAIT until a year! I am so tired of hearing that!

• Posted

I'm actually three weeks out and I'm not pleased at all, nose having to go get physical therapy for four weeks dr said it was going to be easy... i have pain still and swelling and no movement.. anyone else have these issues?

Cissy

• Posted

Cissy, I am 9 months out & I can just now say that I feel my foot is better.. it's been a LONG painful road and not what I was expecting ... according to the original consult with my surgeon.. I was told that I would be able to get into a regular shoe within 6 weeks after surgery and I was in the boot for 12 weeks.. I am now able to get into a regular shoe .. Hang in there & I also found physical therapy to be a tremendous help!!

• Posted

I am seven months out. Still minor discomfort with walking. But I can easily walk 3 miles and have been able to do so for many months. Recent x-rays showed Cartiva is an excellent position with good join space.MY podiatrist stated he sometimes gives injections post surgery if you’re in lots of pain.

• Posted

Cissy: You shouldn't expect more after only three weeks. It takes up to a year for the swelling and pain to go away. Though, not 100% sure on that since I don't think anyone is a year out on this. I don't think there's anyone who is completely pain free with full range of motion.

I do think Drs. need to get up to speed on recovery times. My Doc said it would be a lot faster than it actually was.

hang in there, at some point you'll be happy you did it.

• Posted

Yes, I had surgery in late July. Followed doctors orders throughout the process. I'm now left with a toe that can't bend unless I force it with my hand. The entire tip of my toe is still numb. When I walk,I get a sharp pain at the top of my foot.

• Posted

I am 9 months out..& I spent 12 weeks in a boot.. just now getting into a regular shoe & have minimal pain.. it's been a long recovery.. not what I was initially promised by my surgeon.. sorry to hear that you are not doing well.. I can definitely relate to this 😣

• Posted

I'm really upset because i think something is definitely not right... i can't bend my toe at all and not to mention i have this huge knot on top and side of my toe, it's really red. the pad on the bottom of my foot by my toe is really swollen. it just doesn't feel right.

• Posted

Cissy, I also had the swelling on the bottom of my foot, dancer pads help alot.. also the red knot on the top of the toe is probably a result of the surgery incision/ stiches...it will take time.. months .. but it will go away

• Posted

i am 10 months out. THIS is a tricky surgery. you can have the implant, suffer a year but you can bend your toe. IF YOU OVER DO IT, you will know! YOU COULD HAVE WENT FOR A FUSION, recovery in 6 weeks but no pain. WHICH ONE DO YOU PREFER.I FELT THE SAME WAY YOU DID! up till 8 months i wasnted a fusion but after 8 months, thinga are getting better.

• Posted

what I'm concerned about is how i have this knot from the top to the side it looks like a small box in my foot, and just throbs and burns

• Posted

A legitimate concern, call & request an appointment with your doctor.. can't hurt to have it looked at.. it's been 3 weeks I believe since your surgery..at 5 weeks I had a horrible flair up.. lot of swelling & pain.. I had to get on to a regular regimen of ibuprofen..400 mg..every 6 hours for probably 3-4 weeks..it seemed excessive at. the time but it helped a lot.. I would even set my alarm to wake me up in the middle of the night so I wouldn't fall behind

• Posted

I am 8.5 months out from surgery. I am still in pain but can wear a really good shoe for part of the day. I am beginning to think that one year recovery is accurate, altho I was told I'd be "back to normal" quickly. This long, in my opinion, is not considered quickly. My advice - don't overdo it. Nurse your foot, apply ice, take ibuprofen. I usually wear a running shoe most of the day, but in the summer found that Aero's wedge sandals, sold by The Walking Company, are super-comfortable. Trying to find some boots for fall, even tho I live in Southern California. A very hard-soled shoe is the answer for me. I've been through 3 pairs of orthotics - did not work. I wear a gel toe pad you can get on Amazon under my foot in most shoes. Makes a huge different. My "bump" on the side of my foot is finally going down. The other major development is the use of CBD balm with hemp oil, massaged on my big toe and bottom of my foot under my big toe nightly. It is amazing - expensive, but is the best thing I have done for pain relief. You can get it directly from their website and sooo worth the investment. I am waiting until my one-year - Feb 27 - and if I still have lack of mobility will consider other surgery, but it seems this takes forever to heal. Lastly, believe it or not, walking is helping speed up recovery - in my running shoes with the gel pad on. I walk 2.5-3.0 miles a day. Has made a huge difference in healing and my attitude. This summer I was in deep depression due to the pain and lack of healing. Gained weight, ate like crap, etc. I started swimming and that helped, then my husband convinced me to just walk around the block. I felt good and we have slowly increased my mileage. Maybe it's the blood flow or something, but I've lost weight, put myself on a Paleo eating plan and do strength training. I'm 62 in good shape and feel better. I hope my experience helps others. A very long road to recovery!

• Posted

Hi lorjie, I have found clarks cloudsteppers boots and sandals to be a great help for me.. they have a great ankel boot.. I have been able to get through a long work day in them with much comfort.. I am a hairstylist

• Posted

Hi Lorjie,

I'm also in SoCal (Huntington Beach). Have not yet had cartiva, but will consider it when my cheilectomies fail--which they will. I'm 67, active, and in excellent health. Still have some minor stiffness and cannot wear heals at all. Thin-soled shoes are a nightmare. Like Patricia, I love my Clark's Cloudsteppers.Wonder if you would mind sharing the name of your podiatrist or foot surgeon.

Nancy

• Posted

I cannot in good faith recommend my surgeon. I tried Cloudsteppers, shoes and boots - too soft on the bottom for me. The only way I can wear them is with thick socks and for very short periods of time. I was going along fairly well until 2 days ago. Another painful flare up on the top of my foot. Will stop walking for a while. This surgery has just been a nightmare. I cannot wear heels either, not even 1.5 inches! Thank goodness my career does not demand I dress up, but occasionally it would be nice to be able to wear them. Waiting for my full year in February and then will reassess my options. I am hoping I won't have to do anything, but I'll never be the same. A recent bone scan showed osteopenia and a terrible misalignment in my back and right hip - I know it's because of the inbalance when I walk. Now I'm on supplements of Calcium and Vitamin D. Never ending....

• Posted

8 months. Pain free at rest for a long time 95% painfree while walking. Good ROM, 70% of normal.

• Posted

I am right where you are in my progress, I am 10 months out ... there's some pain occasionally but I am generally pleased at this point... although it's been a long ride!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.