CAST IS OFF after medial malleolus stress fracture !! New Kinds of Pain :'( Need HELP

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey Everyone !

So, my cast was removed yesterday after a stress fracture in the Medial Malleolus ( Inner Ankle Bone). The Removal thing seems exciting but it hasnt been much normal.

I dont know why but the achillies tendon of my left (injured) foot is so stiff ! Like really.

When I do the Plantar Flexion ( Stretching foot down excercise) It hurts so much. Even the Heels give a sweet pain after being pressed. less of the sweet more of the pain.

The injured Leg has become really 'small' , muscles have atrophied. And I cant rotate my ankle still. And Cant walk. Can put Weight. More like dont want to put weight ..even when standing.

So the Doc has told me to use crutches for 10 days and Meet him in 10. He'll tell me to putt off crutches and Then Physiotherapy.

I just want to know about your Experience after Cast removal ..the pain if any.. and returing to walking..running..sports? I was in a cast for like 9 weeks.

0 likes, 121 replies

121 Replies

Next
  • Posted

***** CAN'T PUT ON WEIGHT

Sorry , mistake.

• Posted

AND the Achillies tendon area seems swollen. Is that normal along with being stiff
  • Posted

After i got my cast off, my achillies, and heel hurt really bad for about a week or so. Yes, the muscles atrophied, and were very tight. they more you move your foot around, circles, and up and down it will get better. im feeeling alot better, and my dr was very happy with the progress. i have been on my foot alot in the last 2 1/2 days, and taking time off my foot, and keeping it elevated. 

No, do not put weight on it, and yes, the tnedon swollenand being stiff is normal.  

good luck

• Posted

Hey Sue !

Thank God the tendon thing is normal.I thought after so many weeks and just a stress fracture I'd be able to walk after the cast comes off.I wasnt even operated.

Glad You're doing better. What has the doc told you about getting to run again ? Cheers

• Posted

Hwy Yash!!

Thanks. The tendon thing is normal. It just takes time for it to get back to where its supposed to. 

Im doing alot better, but swollen the last few days, and soe pain in the incision area. Im not a runner, so im not too terribly concerned, i just cant wait to get back to working out. 

• Posted

Hi.

Yes it's all normal before the healing. Your muscles will grow back to normal once you start using them. All the stiffness is normal and will loosen up as you exercise. I am post op 10 months and my inner ankle bone with 2 screws still gives me trouble, you may not be as bad as me and heal much quicker. Everything you are experiencing is nothing new and don't worry , it's just patience and time. 😊

• Posted

Hey !

Im relieved that it is all normal. I was hoping to return to basketball in 3 weeks post cast removal. Well..we dont know now.

I wasnt operated , it was a hairline fracture caused to due a fall while playing ..prolly because of overtraining.maybe my age may help ( 16 ). Wish you get better and better.

Are you able to walk normally now ? And other activities

• Posted

Hi

Yes I was walking post op 5 MONTHS WITHOUT ANY aids. It was months before I ventured out in the crowds and I still get anxious now. I was driving post op six months. I servely smashed the right ankle,plate/ screws in the TIBIA. Plates screws in the FIBULA and 2 screw in the inner ankle bone. I'm still not fully recovered but I'm 60. I have good and bad days. I've been through hell. You are young, no surgery. You will be up and running in no time. Just rest and take it easy.

• Posted

Hey !

I just cant even relate to the me of pre break.

Never cared about the feet , There were shin splints ..ignored them. Basically thought the body ..the bones are invincible. Im gonna be really caring about everything once i get normal.

And i sincerely hope that you along with all the strong people here get better than ever ! Maybe I should focus on academics this senior year. Cheers !

• Posted

I've had cast or moonboot on and off for past 8 months. Broken plated leg looks horrendous. After first 7 casts, b4 I had a bone graft and plate and screws, my leg was a skinny saggy stretch marked stick. Thought if that's how to lose weight I should have broken other to match.

Stiff, swollen, mental anquish, pain. Sorry, all part and parcel, but we can help. You do come out the other side. Just placing foot on floor briefly while sitting, can help. Keep up rest, ice, compression and elevation. Have you got a moon boot?

I'd use crutches and or walker, all the time. Slowly and patience is what's needed.

My Physio said time spent in cast and non weight baring is same time approx it will rake to unstiffen limb.

4 months after my op, I find it hard to believe I was in your state once, regularly in tears. And my husband broke his scaphoid 7 months ago. Both had surgery.

Don't over do it. I would wait till you get advice from Physio. He knows body mechanics.

I can stand up for afew minutes, even though my left leg has a bakers cyst and hasn't got much movement. Never thought it would happen.

All the best on your recovery . Look forward to hearing your progress.

@(*+*)@

• Posted

Hii !

Yes , the feeling is settling down now.

I had heard people getting back to sports in a matter of week post a stress fracture but i dont know what happened with mine.

I'll just wait now. Atleast now I know not to overtrain.

I cant even imagine what everyone here has been through, i wasnt even operated.You all seem so strong .

I wish you get better soon !!

• Posted

Hi Yashmoon!

I wouldn't rush your ankle! Rest and elevate it and take care of it as long as you have to so that it heals correctly and you can get back to sports.

I know how hard it is to not be able to walk, i'm only 24 and have been unable to walk for 7 weeks now.. And i still have a month left. I had a metal plate and screws inserted.

The stiffness in your ankle is normal. Mine was like a metal rod and unable to move. I think a lot of it was my own fear stopping me from moving it at all. I had someone help me stretch it little by little and now I trust it a little more and am able to move it ever so slightly, every day it gets a little better! I've only been moving it for 3 days and i can almost move it side to side.

The swelling is normal as well, my doctor told me my foot will swell on and off for about 2 years. Just elevate it and ice it and go easy on it. Hopefully in a few years this will be nothing but a small annoying memory and we'll be back to running around.

I've found reading and watching movies really distracts me, I have a wheelchair and am able to start going places now for a few hours. But i still have to come home when the swelling starts to hurt so I can elevate it. Feel free to message me if you have any questions or want to vent. I know this is a horrible, frustrating experience.

Things will get better for us!

• Posted

Hi yashmoon, what you are experiencing is normal. You will not be able to walk yet. Use crutches for pwb. Just slightly put weight on the toes of your foot when you walk with the crutches. Once you go to a physiotherapist they should give you exercises to do. Also ask them to show you how to massage the scar tissue, this is also very important to get the flexibility back I was at the physiotherapists yesterday and they showed me how stiff the skin and tissue is around the surgical incisions. Try stretching the toe open and closed also up and down just to start with the rehabilitation. It takes a long time for recovery, but everyone heals differently. Be patient and do what the physiotherapists and Dr. Say and soon it will feel a lot better. Good luck and keep us posted.
    • Posted

You are such a encouragement to me and I am sure to others as well, Wi all you and your husband are going through.
    • Posted

Hey Daphne !

Im feeling better that it is all normal. I woke up today with so much fear

I dont have any idea about the scar tissue thing , i mean , I wasnt operated. Mine was just a hairline fracture of the medial malleolus (inner ankle bone).Told to be casted , physio , and then return to sports.

Seemed so easy at first. Can u help me with this scar thing ? And when do you think I can like..be normal ?

Glad you're on the track of getting normal ! All the best !

• Posted

If you were not operated on you don't have to worry about scar tissue. But it is good just to massage the foot from you toes up and around the foot and heel to the knee. I found this helps with circulation and loosens up the muscles. Use some type of oil. Try doing this before placing weight on the foot. You are still very young so your healing should be fast also because you didn't have surgery. I am 59, broke my tibia and fibula in February had surgery in March . Cast came off on April 22nd. I can walk unaided but with a slight limp. My son trains mma fighter's, and one of his students broke his ankle a week after me and had the same surgery as I did. He has been back in the fighting ring again for about 4 weeks now. You would not even know he was injured if it was not for the scars. Hope you recover soon.
    • Posted

Hi Daphne- How are you doing this week? I feel like this has been a good week for me at 21 weeks. Wondering how you are doing too. Any updates? I can now walk up and down hills, jog across the street, walk as much as I want around doing normal stuff all day long without any pain etc.. I think it is time for me to start walking a mile, two miles etc. around the neighborhood and see what I can handle. Have you tried that yet? I'm still kind of stiff in the morning, but by afternoon I'm ready to go up the stairs two steps at a time and have a spring in my step. I also can jump now. I just tried it. I was afraid at first to try it...but it worked! Hang in there everybody...life does come back! My ankle on the outside still looks bigger than the other (could partially be the metal plate and screws in there I think). I still have some swelling all around the ankle too, but it doesn't bother me at all and I really don't care that it doesn't look totally perfect. Only I can notice it at this point. The scar is also something only I really can see and in 12 total months I think it may almost completely disappear. I still ice my ankle a bit at night, mainly I think because I got used to the routine and I think it is good for me, not because I really need it. The one thing I am still afraid to do is wear high heels though. I also find myself super careful on wet or slippery floors, in showers etc.  I also now am a bit worried for everyone when people leave things out on the floor (shoes, toys etc) , where someone might trip over them. I find myself setting everything to the side, as I just don't want anyone to go through what we have all been through! Does anyone else do this?

• Posted

Hi Patti, I am doing well. I can also walk up and down hills without a problem, I can jog a little, but I have not tried to jump. Just the thought of it makes me nervous. Stairs are not a problem I can go up and down like normal. Walking for long periods of time and distance is also no problem and I can do everything that is normal. I have found if I walk for a long while my pace slows down after a time. I don't have any pain but still have slight swelling at the end of the day, but it is very slight now and does not bother me. In the morning my ankle is still stiff but as soon as I start moving it disappears. I also sleep with one pillow under my ankle., but this is more out of habit. Things lying around on the floor scares me and move and pick them up all the time. We are going to the coast at the end of next week, so I am going to try walk on the beach and see how walking in sand goes. I will keep you informed on how it goes. Thanks for the update , now my next step is to try jump. Keep your fingers crossed. Oh I climbed up a ladder the other day to hang curtains, my husband nearly had a fit when he saw me, but I want to get back to my normal everyday life. And it feels good not to ask for help all the time. Have a great week further.

• Posted

Great success story! I can't do all of that, but i showed my husband that I could push the shopping trolley. He says, what, you want me to push your Walker! lol.

I too am a little paranoid about falling, slipping, or of anyone doing the same. I am constantly commenting, and moving stuff and getting others to do the same.

Gee I wonder when I'll wear high heel?

Haha, never did before and aren't going to start!??????

????????????

?? Is what I long for. Baker's Cyst knee, although a bit better, can't bend without agony.

I don't care about the scar. Battle I've won as you pointed out!

?? Too cold for ice here.

The swimming pool is way too slippery to walk around. Was horrific before I broke my leg.

?????? This Sunday to Wednesday for my girl. She got in rep team. BiG tournament . 10 teams from other provinces. Ours will be the weakest, as they struggled to a team. Mine will be on bench as she's only played for 8 weeks. Others played 3-5 years.

I'm sure shell have fun. She got in because if her height and ability to give 100% always!

She's nervous. I'll be on my feet 4 long days, as we have to travel 30mins to tournament.

Well be fine. School holidays here.

@(*+*)@

• Posted

Ladder? Are you for real? Gosh, Not on my plans ATM. Good for you!!!!??????????????

©{•+•}®

• Posted

So glad to hear your update and so curious about how it is to walk in the sand. I walked on some packed sand and it was no problem, but I'm curious how it is on normal loose sand (especially sand at a slant too). Can't wait for the update! Just try to bunny hop across the room...you can do it! I tried it today and was shocked I could do it. Today I did little sprint jogs everywhere. Can't believe the ability to jog just started happening. I was never a runner....but boy is jogging a delight after going through what we went through these last 5 months!! Looking forward to the next update!

• Posted

Sounds like a lot to look forward to with your daughter! You will have a great time. Looking forward to hearing how she does!
    • Posted

You both inspire me. My kinda gals. One planet, one people, we are in different parts of the world, have no prejudices, just snapped ankles, and happy to support each other. Sure given me hope, some I kinda lacked since that fateful day October 10 2015.👣👣👣👣👣👣👏👏👣👣👣👣👣
    • Posted

I used to do a few boot camps in a year. It included cross country running, I hope I will be able to do one again in the future, even if it is at my own pace. Will let you know how walking in the sand goes, and my bunny hop's. (Grandson is going to love this).

• Posted

Hi Tituscanby, a girls got to do, what a girls got to do, even if it is climbing a ladder. Lol. I hope you have a great weekend with your daughter. Good luck and have tons of fun.
    • Posted

Tee-hee. Yep. Gee and I was so proud of pushing shopping trolley. ! I surprise myself every few days. Bakers cyst knee holds me back, but connection between my brain and injuries linking back up quickly. I find myself standing for ages, then thinking how did I get there.

This great.

Basketball will be great. Shes an extremely anxious young lads. Needs lots of encouragement.

I've got nothing else to do.!!????????????

• Posted

You have really come a long way since I have been on this site. Can't they drain the bakers cyst. Maybe being in this team will also help your daughter. Truly hope so.

• Posted

Cyst burst. Still very weak and tender. Leg sore and fluid rammed thru to foot. Have to take it easy otherwise it will flair up, and can turn into a big cyst again. Gotta lose weight I gained in past 9 months. Lol. Not baby weight this time! Here.

Gotta get rid of it just of it. Only way is to get more mobile. Heavy winter storms here atm.

Thanks!😃

• Posted

Sounds very painful. I also have to shake off a few pounds I gained. Have to lose the weight before the 7th August as my hubby and I celebrate our 40TH wedding anniversary and will be going to the coast for a few weeks. We also have winter but no storms. Mornings and evenings are cold but the days are pleasant. Have a great day further. X
    • Posted

Wow. I have to be lighter for 30 year old sons wedding in September. We can do this....@(*+*)@
    • Posted

What we have been through the last few months, this is going to be a breeze. Hahaha.
    • Posted

patti, 

i walked on sand on a slant over the weekend, it wasnt bad, but found it somewhat difficult. i was walking on rocky sand as in pebbles, and rocks, as we call it rocky beach in san clemente ca.  i mean, i wouldnt do everyday yet as much as i want to. im afraid to jog or run on it yet. i go back to the dr on friday, and hoping he will give me that go ahead to get back to working out, or at least walking, and start building up my workouts.  we will see!!!!

• Posted

I also gained 5 lbs. that I have to lose. We will get it done, as Daphne says...this is the easy stuff relative to what we have all been through! At first I lost weight, then it seemed to come on. I think at first it was just muscle loss. I guess we can't be too hard on ourselves...we were sitting around doing hardly any physical activity for months!

• Posted

patti, 

I have also gained my weigh back, or part of it. i sure do feel it tho. and looking at my self in the mirror, not a nice sight!!! I lost a bunch of weight, and was gaining muscle, and looking really good. Now, im back up to where i started...just cant wait to find out if i can get back to working out on friday.  were all in this together!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.