CAST IS OFF after medial malleolus stress fracture !! New Kinds of Pain :'( Need HELP

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey Everyone !

So, my cast was removed yesterday after a stress fracture in the Medial Malleolus ( Inner Ankle Bone). The Removal thing seems exciting but it hasnt been much normal.

I dont know why but the achillies tendon of my left (injured) foot is so stiff ! Like really.

When I do the Plantar Flexion ( Stretching foot down excercise) It hurts so much. Even the Heels give a sweet pain after being pressed. less of the sweet more of the pain.

The injured Leg has become really 'small' , muscles have atrophied. And I cant rotate my ankle still. And Cant walk. Can put Weight. More like dont want to put weight ..even when standing.

So the Doc has told me to use crutches for 10 days and Meet him in 10. He'll tell me to putt off crutches and Then Physiotherapy.

I just want to know about your Experience after Cast removal ..the pain if any.. and returing to walking..running..sports? I was in a cast for like 9 weeks.

0 likes, 121 replies

121 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I just scanned thru the posts, looks like everyone is doing well. I went to the dr last week, and im still in a boot while out and about, and walking with out at home.  im doing very well.  I go back July 13th, and will go on to walking with out the boot outside, etc. i leave for phoenix july 27th, so i really need to focus on getting my foot to where its supposed to be, back to normal. Im having a little tightness in the incision area, but nothing bad at all.  

Yash, i would be careful going back to playing basketball. my dr said I cant do any physical activity with my foot yet, just upper body!!  im sooo excited to get back to working out, and walking all the time, and lose the weight i have gained from being down. 

good luck sue

• Posted

Heyy !!

Thanks for responding...I am glad all are doing well..but Im facing a problem rn ..please see reply :'(

• Posted

Basketball? I tried to shoot after nearly 9 months out of commission. Total fail. Couldn't bend knees enough to get ball up higher than 8'. Can barely walk let alone run, or worse, change direction. Good luck. I'll stick with NBA ps3 for now. Guaranteed injury free, apart from sore wrists! :+)
  • Posted

NEW UPDATE !!! *****

I go to the doc today.

And the problem I am facing now is I cant Fully Dorsiflex (flex up) my ankle up !!

I hadnt noticed it because when i tried to do it was happening till the 'maximum' and i wasnt feeling pain. But then Lately I kept both my feet togther and flexed the up ..and Bam!! I see there is respectable difference in their maximum peek of motion. And when I move the ankle up with my hands to further the peak. It hurts !! I dont know if this is normal ..as I wasnt operated..and it was a stress fracture of the Distal Tibia ( medial Malleolus) Could this happen because of the immobilization of the 9 weeks ? Please Help ?

• Posted

I did get ORIF surgery but still have a 1" difference in how how I can point my foot and toes upward (flex up) on the injured foot stiil vs. the other, even though I am at over 4 months out. My PT says there is just still stiffness and swelling around the joint, which is keeping that last little bit from bending. I think the body can take a full year to clear out all that swelling and get back to normal. 
    • Posted

it sounds as tho its atrophy, and it happens. i had it bad, and the more i worked it, the better it got. i still cant move my foot to the left that much ( probably because of the plates and screws), but its all normal. dont be concerned, and i would ask your dr the next time you see him/her. good luck
    • Posted

Hi, yes this is normal. You need to exercise the ankle. Have you had physio and have the physiotherapists given you exercises to do? If you have a rubber exercise band sit on a chair or the floor. Put the rubber band around your foot. Push against the rubber band pointing the toes towards the floor. Return slowly to starting position. Repeat 20 times. Also sit on the floor or chair with your leg straight out in front of you. Put the band around your foot. Gently pull the band and feel the stretch in your calf. Hold for 15 to 20 seconds. Repeat 20 times. Sit on the floor or chair. Put the rubber band around the top part of your foot. Fasten it away from you or let someone hold it for you. Pull your foot towards your body slowly return to starting position. Repeat 20 times. Try these simple exercises, they really do help. Let me know how it goes.
    • Posted

Keep trying Sue with the stretch resistance bands. My PT has 23 screws and 2 plates in his ankle from a surgery years ago and he says I'd be in total pain if it's the screws. The stretching tendons or ligaments feel sizzling sometimes as they're stretching, and it takes some time. Try a wobble board to get that extra ROM back, as well as massaging the scar tissue away as much as possible.
    • Posted

Does anyone use a walking cane? I have a walker most of the time, and find using a crutch hard for transition periods. Leg gets wobbly. I might try the massage scar piece more too. Only pain I get is along the scar.

@(*+*)@

• Posted

Hi, if you find a crutch difficult to walk with, a cane is more difficult. What type of crutches do you have? The forearm crutches are better than the normal ones, and I think safer as well. The forearm crutch works well as a cane and are more stable so you can balance your self better. That's just my opinion, try see what feels better. I am pleased to see your pain is getting better, and I pray soon you will be totally pain free. X
    • Posted

Hi Daphne, I persevere with crutch, but it is hard to carry on my walker. I think when the going gets tough I fall to bits and have a wee panic. I have elbow crutches. Only type I've seen here in N Z since 1980s. I had a wooden set of under arm ones 40 years ago for a deep cut under my foot- same one as is broken now. They were uncomfortable from memory. Never tried a can. Thought a Swan type with a quad base might cut it. Mum said to go to a second hand shop.

Mum and I saw a man with a homemade one once. It was a shovel/space handle, with a rubber attachment slapped on the bottom. Seemed to work very well.

©{°×°}®

• Posted

Hi, today I saw a lady with a crutch. It was not a straight crutch, it had a bend in it, and the bottom had 3 feet on it. First time I've seen something like that, and it looked very sturdy. The lady was actually resting all her weight on it. I will try find a site with a picture of it and let you know, if you have not seen something similar.
    • Posted

Hey !!

Oh !. I dont have PT yet. But considering yours this seems normal. Man , atleast it is all getting better right. Thanks for that Patti.

I really need all the reassurance rn.

• Posted

Heyy !!

Yess ! Moving it is making it better !! And im sure you are gonna move it perfectly left soon ! Thanks for the response and time. Keep us posted !

• Posted

Heyy !!!

Thank You so Much For This !! These excercises are doing wonders ! At first i didnt have much faith in these. But yes they work good !mine is certainly getting better !!But repeating it 20 times for 15-20 sec ? I read it right ? I mean it is really kinda strenous.But im so glad for you to take time out for this ! Thank U

• Posted

Hi, I am happy the exercises are helping, and also that you are walking. The steps will soon get better, be patient. Also if the exercises are a bit strenuous, do as much as you can , and comfortable for you, and work up from there. Keep up with what you are doing because you are doing great. Keep us posted on how you progress please.
    • Posted

Hi , I am not sure about swimming I think you should call your doctor and ask. I know a lot of us on the site have been given the go ahead to swim. , but rather check first as our injuries are all different and I would not like to give you advice and it is to strenuous at this stage.
    • Posted

I never used the walking cane. I found the walker was actually the best for the walking transitional phase. I only used it for two weeks or so though. Then I preferred crutches for walking. I hated using crutches with my cast though, and used a wheelchair for the first two weeks and then the knee scooter until my cast came off.

My PT did something interesting with my scar tissue today, where my actually scar had healed from surgery 4-1/2 months ago. He pressed on it (right where the plate was) and held it (with firm pressure). It caused that feeling of tingling sparks that made me think he was waking up the area, even though it didn't feel great. He said that would break down scar tissue there. I thought I was supposed to rub in through there and on the sides, but I guess pressure is also very affective. I found that interesting.

• Posted

everything is healing awesome. went to the dr yesterday. out of the boot, and just being careful. i do have to use the boot when out and about, but not all the time. i just posted on another subject of what the dr said. so far as good, and we are in the 6th inning. its all good. cant run marathons yet, but maybe in another month or so. i dont go back until july 20 right before i go to phoenix for my business conference. 
    • Posted

It's just so exciting to hear this news Sue! Keep at it, it can be a little painful as the tendons etc. start to get active again, but know this is totally normal and that it shows you are on the path toward getting back to your old self again (kind of like building muscle, there is a little pain along the way). So happy for you! 

• Posted

So excited for you ! You are gonna be great ! It just feels so good like we all have taken a step forward ! All the best so happy !

Ps. Im having some troubles please read my new update :'(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.