Cast is off..........but now there's pain.

Posted , 48 users are following.

Hi all...I wrote 6 weeks ago that I'd just had a cast put on. It was taken off yesterday. The doctor said it will take a week before the pain is gone because it's been kept stiff. Is it really safe to move it around even though it hurts? I find myself preferring to be in the cast with no pain. I do have a walking brace that I'm supposed to take off unless I'm walking. Just wondering if I can snap my bone by moving it around. Guess I don't know how careful I need to be in moving it so soon....Any tips? Thanks. Teri

4 likes, 100 replies

100 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I am afraid you have to walk through the pain it's the only way of strengthening the bone, it does get better. My cast came off 6 weeks ago but I still have a little pain it takes time.
    • Posted

Hi Christine....Denise and I are wondering how you're doing....What are you using for walking aids? Is it safe for us to stand thru a shower?

• Posted

Getting there, no crutches now but still limping which is messing up my knee womewhat, probably because of my age, but pain is much less, although I still have swelling.  My physio said it could take up to a year for that to totally subside (joy), but every week there is improvement, its now 4 months since my break, it certaily takes time.  Hopy you are well and improving.
    • Posted

Hi Christine, 

Still limping after 4 months? oh what joy!

10 weeks post fracture for me, down to one crutch...:-)

Keep us posted

Denise

• Posted

Glad to hear your pain is getting better. I know my age is a problem too (I'm 54) so I take into account that it takes us longer to heal. But I hadn't considered our knee. I do notice that my hamstring is sure sore, though I can't tell why yet. But that's great that you're 4 months ahead. Keep us posted!
    • Posted

57 here, healing does take longer that's for sure, but there are many diferent types of breaks as well.  

My knee started to hurt too, and I have a shoulder impingement that's flared up again with using crutches, and my fingers became so swollen and painful when I was non-weight-bearing.  thank the lord that's over with....haha 

• Posted

I read somewhere that there has been an increase in ankle fractures in - lets say - the more mature woman, due to increases activities taken up by the more mature lady these days.  I was told exercise was good for you....hahaha
    • Posted

Did u have surgery,Christine? I know it was abt 3 yrs ago but did you have pain up to a year? I'm on month 3 and I still have pain in foot/leg from ORIF of fibula. Just started walking a little bit but with a big limp. :-( 

• Posted

I’m 15 weeks post op ORIF. Broken tibia and fibula. Walking with one crutch and still limping without aid. Physical therapy is trying to build up the muscles in my leg. They told me to roll a tennis ball under my foot or freeze a bottle of water and use that. 
    • Posted

I feel your pain somewhat. I'm 10 weeks post op from a open fracture of my patella and Tibia. Physio is the hardest part. I'm down to one crutch outside but still limping and also doing the tennis ball movement lol. My Knee is bending at about 80° at the moment and due to have the brace removed in two weeks. My orthopaedic surgeon has said it can take up to a year for the swelling and pain to subside. Best of luck in your journey smile

• Posted

Hi Christine,

Good to know that the pain does get better. I had my cast of three weeks ago but was not to weigh bare until last week. I am in extreme pain and my foot and leg is very swollen .

I am thinking about getting a second opinion.

Lynne 

• Posted

the first time i fractured my ankle i was in pain after the cast came off. the foot never healed and caused problems till to stress fractures and recently a bad refracture of same bones.
    • Posted

Hi Oscar,

Thanks for your reply.

I have decided to go to A&E this morning as totally fed up with the pain.

I am worried that I am doing more damage by walking.

Lynne 

• Posted

Hi Terri, I'm afraid Christine is right, but do be careful, follow your physio's advice and don't be afriad to move it, obviously don't push it too hard, but the bone should be fused together by now.  

I have to say, I do think that your doctor is being a tad over optimistic by saying you will be pain free after a week.  I've never known anyone be pain free a week after taking their casts off.  My main tip would be to follow your physio's advice, if they are concerned in any way, they will send you straight back for another x-ray.  But it's perfectly normal to feel pain for up to 12 months after having the cast removed.  Mine was swelling up like a balloon for the first couple of weeks, and I've only just gone down to one crtuch this past week.    

Keep us posted

Denise

How's yours doing Christine?  

• Posted

Hi Denise....!

How funny when you say my doctor is being optimistic. He probably said that because I was shocked at how much it hurt. Okay, I wasnt thinking clearly...lol

But that's great that you're down to one crutch! Does that mean you no longer use the walking boot?

• Posted

they never gave me a walking boot Terri, I was gutted because I wanted one....hahaha

• Posted

I have to say that this 6 weeks went a bit faster than I thought it would. But you were always so good about your experience, so I have learned from you...ha

What did people do before websites like this???   :<)>

• Posted

LOL....I have no idea, I couldnt even go to the loo on my own in the first couple of weeks....haha
    • Posted

another thing to remember is that everyone is different, all the breaks are different, it sounds like ours were pretty nasty breaks.  

Glad I could be there for ya....:-D

• Posted

Yes, I remember us complaining about using the loo a few weeks ago. I actually slept in my bed for the first time last night (been sleeping in my recliner). It felt great.

• Posted

oh dear, that's not good, but at least you're back in your bed now, hopefully you'll strt sleeping better and that will help the healing process.

• Posted

Very true...I hadn't thought about the lack of sleep. I just could not get comfortable in bed with that cast on....If I were married, he probably would have divorced me since I wasn't joining him each night...lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.