Cast is off..........but now there's pain.

Posted , 48 users are following.

Hi all...I wrote 6 weeks ago that I'd just had a cast put on. It was taken off yesterday. The doctor said it will take a week before the pain is gone because it's been kept stiff. Is it really safe to move it around even though it hurts? I find myself preferring to be in the cast with no pain. I do have a walking brace that I'm supposed to take off unless I'm walking. Just wondering if I can snap my bone by moving it around. Guess I don't know how careful I need to be in moving it so soon....Any tips? Thanks. Teri

4 likes, 100 replies

100 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

HI Teri

Terrys chocolate oranges are an excellent way to forget the pain....only lasts a few moments but worth it!

When's your physio appt? Chase that up because you get so much information from them as to what yo should and should not be doing.

My cast came off on the 5th and I had my first physio session yesterday - 12 days later! They told me where I was going wrong with my exercises and gave me some new ones also.

Look at my last post and the download from Leicester NHS "Physiotherapy after ankle fracture" - all the basic exercises there are simple and I started doing them 4 times per day.

Also Noreens comments are a very useful guide re milestones but everyones different and healing varies.

I've gone back to 2 crutches since yesterday and improving my walking and beginning to have greater flexibility in the ankle.

Tosh 

• Posted

hmmm chocolate, problem is, I've put so much weight on since I broke my ankle, I'm trying hard not to succumb...:-) 

I hadn't been back on here for a while and missed your experiences Tosh, good to see  you're on the mend though, sorry you've had to go back to 2 crutches.  I had to do that for a while, mainly because of my shoulder pain, plus I was walking a bit weird on one crutch.  Back to one now, but it's better to walk correctly on two than walk incorrectly on one.  

Denise

• Posted

Great ideas. And yes, I will look for the exercise tips. I do find myself getting out more each day (as you can tell...!) but I'm going slow at this. I guess because I know my ankle is still broken so I don't want to eliminate all the healing.

Why would you be back on crutches are all the healing you have done?

Teri

• Posted

Hi Tosh....I tried to link to the website you mentioned but was unable to. Could it be because I'm in the States?

Anyhow, I did find other sites and one of the ideas was writing out the alphabet with your foot, in capitals, small letters and italic.

Thanks for this idea of getting exercises!

Teri

• Posted

Hi Teri

Howsit going?

I went out with either of my crutches today, it's still swollen and there is some pain, but it's getting better.  I'm limping quite badly still.  It's been almost four months now.  

Denise

• Posted

I was just wondering was you all in pain with your cast on. I ment to be getting my cast off on Friday and my dr wants me to start weight bearing hopefully I will get a removable cast but it will be 8 weeks since I had the screw in my ankle and it's still sore don't really fancy putting any weight on it. Also how long did it take for you too start driving? Thanks
    • Posted

Mine was very painful Jamie, I was told to try and weightbear two or three weeks after the break, but it was far too painful.  I started weightbearing about a week before the cast came off, it was still painful.  I was sent for physio immediately after the cast came off, it was still swollen and painful.  In fact, I still get pain and it;s still swollen, although it's much improved.  I've only been off both crutches about a week, and I didn't start driving until then.  I'm currently at four months.  
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply..God I've along time too go yet then I'm dreading it..just bothered incase I put weight on it and it goes again did they say how long your physio will take? My dr wants me too get my screw out on Friday even tho my surgeon said it will never need taking out unless it irritates me hope it stops in be another couple ov weeks set back
    • Posted

I'm eight weeks post fracture, ankle was a stable fracture but I also broke the base of my fifth metatarsal which needed a screw. Still no weight bearing, both the ankle and foot ache, back in on Tuesday to hopefully go to next stage. Surgeon told me before he operated that I will get athritis and that the screw will need to come out, so plenty more to look forward to after the weight bearing and physio.
    • Posted

Remember that everyone is different Jamie, speak with your physio about recovery time.  I was told that it could swell up to a year or so after the break.  Which bone did you break?  Mine was a weber b fracture, on the joint, I think the joint has been my main issue.  
    • Posted

Hi Jamie

my cast came off approx 8 weeks ago and was told to weight ear straight away which I couldn't do and had to wait for 12 days before my first physio appt. started basic foot flexibility exercises and tried to weight bear and slowly but surely I was able to. Take it easy as your body will tell you if you're doing too much. 

As Denise stated, everyone heals at a different rate. I too thought my recovery was too slow relative to others but depending on the severity of your injury, your recovery will take place but you need to be patient.

14 weeks aftere my triple fracture and dislocation, I can walk without crutches but even this is very slowly and I tire very quickly.

most important is to get a physio appt the day your plaster comes off and go armed with any questions you may have.

• Posted

Mine was a Webber c dislocated my ankle broke my ankle and broke my leg the 1st week they misdiagnosed it as a broken ankle and sent me home the week after I went to the fracture clinic I thought I was just going to get a new cast on but I had to go for an emergency surgery..what sort ov things do they have you doing in physio?
    • Posted

Hi Jamie

After the cast came off I was send home and told to wait for a physio appt.

my doctors approach was "we want you to be weightbearing straightaway and no boots, air cast or supporting"

I'm guessing your feeling the vulnerability of an ankle without a cast, supports or boot? This is quite normal and you will feel protective for the first week and then you soon come to realise that the human body is quite amazing in it's ability to recover (with help from the doctors & physio staff) and then you begin to push forward with exercises without pushing too far.

How far to push is again an individual experience based on individual pain thresholds, commitment to exercises and guidance from your physio.

trust all this is helpful.

• Posted

Hi Jamie

if you look under the discussion "5 weeks after ORIF" there is a link to a PDF download from the Leicester NHS "Physiotherapy following an Ankle Fracture". This is very useful as I was given nothing when I had my cast taken off until first physio session 12 days later. 

Please push for your physio appt sooner rather than later.

• Posted

Thanks tosh feel abit better reading your other page what too expect etc..I hope they don't give me the removable boot now I will just become reliant on that I best take my trainer just in case haha
    • Posted

Did anyone have a sloped foot after they had there cast off? Just hoping it's just stiff and will go back to normal after a couple ov days
    • Posted

Hi all...I know it's been a while since I've been on here. I did get the cast off and my ankle is fine.

Like you Jamie, I do have a sloped ankle, and I'm in my 4th month of recovery.

My biggest problem though isn't my ankle. It's my FOOT. When I walk, the portion where my toes bend is excrutiating. When I called the doctor two days after getting my cast off - knowing something isn't right - he refused to see me and said it was normal and to give it time. Well, that was 5 weeks ago, post-cast. I can still barely bend my toes, so walking is painful. I do go back tomorrow and I'm going to insist that he take xrays of my foot.

My physical therapist says this sometimes happens because a foot tightens up when the ankle is broken, so it pulls the rest of the foot to where it hurts. But I know my toes shouldn't hurt this bad.

Just wondering if the rest of you had foot pain after getting your casts off??

Hope you're all doing well.

Teri

• Posted

Hi Jamie

Hope you're able to flex your foot a little more now and able to bear some weight? I remember trying to flex my foot/ankle constantly after the cast came of and it became an obsession but this was good as the joint was so stiff.

Have you had any physio yet?

For me it's now 11 weeks since the cast came off and I'm able to walk well but slowly. Still having to exercise everyday but it's worth it.

• Posted

Hi Teri

How're the toes? Did your x-ray reveal anything?

I didn't have any pain when the cast came off

Tosh

• Posted

it seems a lot better than it was got quite abit of movement in it now started a little bit of weight bearing over the weekend can't do to much though as my foot starts to swell up..I start my pysio on Thursday I'll let them show me what to do not sure what to do tbh Dr didn't show me how to weight bear or give me any advice
    • Posted

I've been doing the same thing, now my muscles (or should I say wasted muscles) are killing me.
    • Posted

Hi no your toes should not be sore👎 I had an ankle replacement in 2008 & left one 7 wks ago. When my cast came off in 2008 I had pain & swelling. But it came good in the end. This time seems a lot easier with walking boot. No pain . Fingers x still no pain when boot comes off permanently 👍 good luck with your recovery
    • Posted

Hi Teri

Yep, I'm concerned about the pain and discomfort I have in my foot across the top of ankle joint an across the base of toes on the top, it's a real hutt feeling that something is not right, so next doc appointment will be an interesting one.

• Posted

Honey I am just about 5 wks since triple break in ankle and have plates am having dreadful Sharpe shooting pains down the sides where the scars are . Did you have this at all ? Getting worse every day. Off to hospital Friday and plaster off again for x rays and then assume back in plaster. Leg elevated all the time but just wanted to know if normal or not ? Thankx Carol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.