Cast is off..........but now there's pain.

Posted , 48 users are following.

Hi all...I wrote 6 weeks ago that I'd just had a cast put on. It was taken off yesterday. The doctor said it will take a week before the pain is gone because it's been kept stiff. Is it really safe to move it around even though it hurts? I find myself preferring to be in the cast with no pain. I do have a walking brace that I'm supposed to take off unless I'm walking. Just wondering if I can snap my bone by moving it around. Guess I don't know how careful I need to be in moving it so soon....Any tips? Thanks. Teri

4 likes, 100 replies

100 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Tosh,

Hi there! Finally got to see my orthopedic dr and while it took some convincing, he agreed to take an xray of my foot. Sure enough, there is something there. He could not tell what it was, but it's not bone. (He said if it had been broken, it would have healed while I had the cast on, since I was off my feet for 7 week, in full foot cast). He's now requested an MRI to see what it is. Whatever it is, he can see it's being squished when I bend my foot to walk. The area is the top of my foot, about an inch down, between the large toe and other.

But hey, I did go dancing this weekend and had a total blast! This was my first time really being able to enjoy this since breaking my ankle in January.

Soooo, what's the latest with YOU???

• Posted

Hi Teri

Been a while since I was last on this but doing really good.

5 months after opening & I'm walking really well with very little swelling at the joint.

Played my first 15 minutes of badminton earlier today and it felt good although the rules were no running and rallying only.

Still doing an hour's exercise every day and this has become somewhat of an obsession......

How You getting on?

Tosh

• Posted

When my cast came off after 12 wks in 2008 I had some pain & swollen ankle. Like you I preferred the cast & no pain, but it gets pain free in time.

I would keep it moving , ( not easy when painful ) why did you have cast on ? Mine is an ankle replacement due to rheumatoid arthritis. Plz keep me informed of your progress

• Posted

Oh wow guys..... after reading these posts I realize this isnt going to be fine in a few days. My first broken bone at age of 44, and have been told its a webber b spiral break, its only been 6 days and Im on a new dairy farm where i will be milking 950 cows in a rotary shed. Now im wondering how will i cope milking when all the pressure will be on that leg. My first follow up at hospital tomorrow and I stupidly thought they will put me in a walking shoe thing after this week of no weight bearing at all. But no it really isnt going to be an easy fix. But on a positive note im glad I found this forum and see positives amongst the outcomes. Wish me luck.... fingers crossed its not a surgery situation or I may as well give up my horses and book my rest home room lol slightly anxious
    • Posted

I broke my fibula two months ago, and one day I was complaining to a friend, by saying I was tired of the cast, the splint, and the boot which I was currently wearing. And she looked at me with a serious face, and said, don't complain, accept your broken ankle, love it. If you repel it, it will repel you. The words fell on me like a ton of bricks. The break was affecting me more mentally than physically. I began to execute what my friend told me, and it helped me tremendously. Subconsciously, I still complain, but I quickly catch myself, and accept my situation. I understand everything that all of you are going through: the pain, swelling, and hurt. But don't let it get you down. As the mental part of the situation improved, I was able to do research, and I go on Youtube and look up exercises for a broken ankle, and I tried them. I have accepted that it may take a year for my ankle to heal, but I will not let it get me down. There are people worst off than me, that had to have bolts and screws. I also take vitamins: Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, plus Vitamin D3( Bone & Muscle Health from Spring Valley, taking up to three a day. When we broke our bone, our whole body was shocked, and because our ankle is so far away from the heart, it will take longer than any other bone to heal, because of blood taking longer to circulate from there. Time is our best friend  not pain and suffering. Let us find the good in this, understanding that everything happens for a reason. Try eating foods like kale, spinach and beef, and fruits from Citrus. I think that we should play apart in this healing process too, since we know our bodies better than anyone. I encourage all of you to process the understand, then you can understand the process. God bless you all. 
  • Posted

I am so excited to find all of your post!! I'm 60 and just had my cast removed! The brace is driving me nuts but I can feel it is helping my ankle that has become weak, I had a serial fracture, foot. So good to read and learn there are others. Was not sure about the stealing and slight pain. Not to mention the limb and knee of good leg! I guess I will just continue though I want the brace to be gone the more my ankle is kept in place the more it seems to hurt which is why I want to go without it. Thank you again for posting!!!
  • Posted

I fell badly 6 weeks ago onto my feet and broke the 5th metatarsal in my left foot.  I had a fibreglass cast put on 5 weeks ago and just one more week to go till the cast comes off, provided the surgeon is happy with the xray prior to seeing him.

Suddenly, I have very bad lower back pain, not really my back, cos its very low down and sitting to standing is so painful and up to now I have been hopping around the flat with the use of my walker/frame but now I am in such pain, I cant hop anymore so I have started to put my cast food heel down in order to get around. Hope this wont deter the healing process. I am also using a wheelchair and sitting in it is quite comfortable although not for too long, otherwise the cast leg becomes so swollen and tight inside the cast.  Just concerned that I am not doing damage by putting the cast foot heel down a week before the cast is supposed to be removed - any ideas? thanks, nocturnalgp

• Posted

Hi, 

Can anyone shed any light on what im supposed to be doing with my ankle now its out of the cast. My doctor hasnt been very informative and my Physio therapy appointment is not for another 3 weeks.

I have a broken fibula and tendons, healing without surgery. I was in cast for 6 weeks and now  been given the walking boot. Its the second day and I cant put any weight on it as its too painful. I get shocks of pain when I even try. I havent been given any specific instructions other thn to start walking on it. Am I supposed to ignore the pain and take painklillers or should i use my pain to guide me? Can i injure myself further by walking on it when its not ready? My foot isnt sitting in the boot properly yet which makes the whole walking thing harder. Im practically still fully supported by crutches. I will start strectching my ankle but any advice in the meanwhile from those who have been there would be great.

• Posted

Hi. I broke my ankle ( fibula) 6 weeks ago and was nwb until 5 days ago.  I have no advice but I also got no instructions from my dr and was just given a boot and told to go to PT.  I am using crutches and a walker ( so says) with the boot but going very slow.  i naively thought I would walk out of the dr office pain free.  Comforting to know that many times that is not the case and that it is just a longer process.  Nice to know I am not alone with my fears and frustrations.  Hard to know whether I am suppose to rest or keep exercising.  Don't want to be a baby or a hero.  I was formally a very active 63 yr old female who was on her way to play pickleball when I slipped and fell.  It could have been so much worse I know but right now I feel soooo frustrated.  
    • Posted

Kgirl the first step you need to take is to stop feeling sorry for yourself. I do not mean to sound harsh, but this is true. I broke my angle almost a year ago and it still hurts. But I have learned to not react to the pain. We must remember that when we break something in our body, it brings shock not only in the broken area, but it will also affect other bones but mostly it will affect our minds. As we know the pain on the initial break hurt. At first my mind was focusing on the pain from when I first broke my ankle, and that pain was controlling my healing process. You must stop making the break your enemy. Become friends with it. If you repel against it, it will repel against you. Approaching the break with a positive mentality will make all the difference in the world. Do not focus on the sadness focus on the reality: You broke something, and the reality is it will take time to heal. Fall in love with it so that you can heal in postive manner. Take bone vitamins. You can purchase them at any store that sale vitamins including Walmart. You will heal, but patience and reality is the key. Hope this helps, and happy healing.
    • Posted

63 the first step you need to take is to stop feeling sorry for yourself. I do not mean to sound harsh, but this is true. I broke my ankle almost a year ago and it still hurts. But I have learned to not react to the pain. We must remember that when we break something in our body, it brings shock not only in the broken area, but it will also affect other bones but mostly it will affect our minds. As we know the pain on the initial break hurt. At first my mind was focusing on the pain from when I first broke my ankle, and that pain was controlling my healing process. You must stop making the break your enemy. Become friends with it. If you repel against it, it will repel against you. Approaching the break with a positive mentality will make all the difference in the world. Do not focus on the sadness focus on the reality: You broke something, and the reality is it will take time to heal. Fall in love with it so that you can heal in postive manner. Take bone vitamins. You can purchase them at any store that sale vitamins including Walmart. You will heal, but patience and reality is the key. Hope this helps, and happy healing.
    • Posted

I went on Youtube for broken ankle therapy and did what they told me to do for free lol........
    • Posted

I went on Youtube for broken ankle therapy and did what they told me to do for free lol.......
    • Posted

And when I say it still hurts, I meant nowhere near as when I was in my cast and boot. The pain is barely there, but if i bend it  where I broke it it tells me hey hey I am still a little tender lol. After almost 365 days lol.....
    • Posted

Hi, I am one month out of a NWB cast for 8 weeks for a crushed foot and torn ligaments.  Same info from Doc and go to PT. My foot hurt like he*l every time I tried to put weight on it. I continued to use my crutches and scooter for a good two weeks. I found it very benifital to massage and strech my ankle. It was very stiff and I had lost alot of mobility. Getting good blood flow is important and our feet are so far away from our hearts so it takes a long time to heel. I was so distressed at first but I keep seeing improvements and this site has been very helpful. I still limp, walk slowly and have a hard time going down stairs. I am a very active young 59 year old who walks and surfs daily. I have accepted a couple of months after the cast removal to be mostly healed, I hope this helps smile
    • Posted

Hi, I am one month out of a NWB cast for 8 weeks for a crushed foot and torn ligaments.  Same info from Doc and go to PT. My foot hurt like he*l every time I tried to put weight on it. I continued to use my crutches and scooter for a good two weeks. I found it very benifital to massage and strech my ankle. It was very stiff and I had lost alot of mobility. Getting good blood flow is important and our feet are so far away from our hearts so it takes a long time to heel. I was so distressed at first but I keep seeing improvements and this site has been very helpful. I still limp, walk slowly and have a hard time going down stairs. I am a very active young 59 year old who walks and surfs daily. I have accepted a couple of months after the cast removal to be mostly healed, I hope this helps [smile]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.