Cast & Knee Scooter?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I recently had trimalleolar surgery on 5/24 and was put in a splint. Today, I got my splint off and stitches out and into a cast for 4 weeks. Before my surgery while waiting for surgery, I was in a boot and using the knee scooter was not painful. However, I couldnt use the knee scooter with my splint because of the pressure and pain it put on my ankle.. I tried it again today with my new lighter cast and had the same problem... My question is: Has anyone else had this problem before? How do I fix it? Does the pain lessen after first getting cast put on? I really don’t want to be on crutches and wheelchair for 4 more weeks 😔 Thanks! 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Does your knee scooter have a gap in the knee pad or is it all one pad?
  • Posted

You need to get your cast off the scooter. The pain intensified for me when they put the cast on after surgery. Had to take opioids for pain. That lasted for at least a month. You will feel relieved when they cut the cast off. The boot comes next. You can take that off during the day,and at night. Hope that helped. We know the pain.
    • Posted

So don’t use the knee scooter with the cast on? I’ve heard of so many people using a knee scooter with a cast on so I’m not sure why it’s hurting so bad for me sad I was not in much pain before they took the splint off and got me in a cast.. now it’s like at the beginning of the break all over again 
    • Posted

What I'm saying is reposition your knee on the scooter. Probably need to move it further back.

• Posted

I had surgery on 4/17 and after two weeks in a splint, I had the stitches removed and was put into a boot. Only at that time was I able to use the knee scooter.  Using it with a cast/splint was too painful for me. maybe by positioning your knee a little differently, you might find a spot that is more comfortable for you.... I am now 7 weeks post op and using only a walker and being able to lightly weight bearing. There is light at the end of the tunnel.  Hope things get better for you.

• Posted

What type of break did you have?  We’re you still NWB? I’m wondering why they put me in a cast vs a boot... I am in graduate school and need to be able to use the knee scooter to get around 😕

• Posted

I had a really bad trimalleolar break with 2 plates and 12 pins. First two weeks after surgery were in a splint then after stitches out, got an air cast boot.  Have been NWB up until last week at my 6 weeek checkup.  I used a wheelchair or walker in the house and used the knee scooter when I had to leave the house...which wasn’t very often since I had two sets of stairs to deal with and it was a bit tricky. Do you have any open space around the top of your cast? If so, try stuffing some padding in there so that when you put your knee down, he whole weight of the cast isn’t being shifted and causing pain. Hopefully you can find the right position.   I have not been to work in 2 months and have at least another 4-6 weeks to go but it’s my right ankle and I will. It be cleared to drive until then. I still have pain and swelling and the days I have PT it really hurts but walking is getting closer and closer for me. Good luck
  • Posted

I have a knee scooter that was fine with my big boot (we padded the hard surface with foam, which worked great), but I notice the "seat" has two ways you can use it. The obvious is to use the full length of the seat to rest the knee to ankle on, but my seat can be unscrewed and turned sideways so there is just the width of the seat to rest the knee on. Maybe that would be more comfortable? The scooter is great on smooth long surfaces, like malls, corridors or even on a quiet road, but it is not stable on any surface that has bumps and cracks (like sidewalks in our old New England town that are made of bricks). My husband thought I was exaggerating as I inched my way down our sidewalk to our car and had to fight the scooter not tipping me up, until he decided to try it and whaddya know, he fell and bruised his shoulder! He is now very cautious about where I use it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.