Cast off 😁

Posted , 7 users are following.

I got my cast off today.

He said I can start walking straight away (in a moon boot of course)

He told me I had to do ankle exercises but didn't actually give me any to do can anyone tell me what to do with regards to these as my physio appointment isn't for another month.

Also when to get rid of my moon boot?

I'd just like to also thank the people on here who have commented on my previous posts for all the support and words of advice 😁

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. Hope your doing well today, I've found the best exersize for foot and ankle was warm salted water after wound was scabbed over. I found the warm water was great for pain as well as hardwear in leg gets so cold. I was discharged from surgeon and now see GP. Saw her today and were both very happy with where I'm at. She is also not happy about surgeons or suppliers of moon boot not recommending levelled walking. I'm taking a few steps at a time and is getting less painful. But warm the muscles before I do it. I'm attempting figure 8 movement ( can't do it fully) but each day gets better. We need to move to get the blood flow thro the bone. Now if anyone has advice on natural remedy for nerve pain I'm up to trying anything. And yes thank you to all the posters on this site. Knowing I'm not going insane has been most mentally helpful. Depression eased knowing I'm not as alone as I was thanks heaps xxxjen. 

• Posted

Just the thought of warm water soak sounds great.... If only I could do this today. Hopefully my cast will be off nxt Friday. 2nd June. The discomfort I've had today has been hard to handle, just hate being able to feel the plates is horrible. Don't get it all the time and don't really do anything through the day, but it just seems to come on out of the blue? My leg is so wet today because of the temperature rising, but can't complain as it's nice to see the sun for a huge. Hope the exercising goes well. Sandra

• Posted

My therapy appnt is tomorrow for PT evaluation. My ortho appnt in 2 wks to check if my bones are healing. I could feel much improvement since the last time. Hopefully, I'll be walking with boot with FWB. I feel depressed sometimes thinking of the outcome. I didn't have surgery so I hope my bones are aligned if not I have to have surgery to put bones in proper alignment. I had fractures of my tibia and fibula from biking. Sometimes it's hard when you have knowledge about something coz I expect the worst. I'm a retired RN but I never . worked in Ortho. Pls reassure me that everything will be okay or include me in your prayers everyone!!! Thank you! Thank you Jenni for your response.

• Posted

Note to myself.... My leg is not 'wet' but 🔥 hot.... 😁

• Posted

I to was terrified until last X-ray played out worse case scenarios in my  idle mind and know the fear. I have break on fib and fracture to tib. Hardware to fib was done day 3. And the thought of going back to square 1 is horrifying. It is very depressing. Don't forget to use a shoe on good foot to bring you up level with boot. Take good care of all those other bones. Google  the "even up levelling shoe". For the short time I was in boot I wore a work boot. Wishing you well xxxjen 

• Posted

I'm doing great I'm not getting great distances but I'm getting better every day it's only been 2 though lol.

Managed to walk down the stairs today and get in the house up the steps walking.

Yeah depression sucks! I thought I was alone until I joined here it really helped me xx

• Posted

You will be fine I'm sure of it.

Even if you have to have surgery you will walk again. Don't ever give up hope or let this win your mind. I'm in my 20s and took up bird watching because I couldn't get out. Everyone laughed at me but I got some great photos xx

• Posted

I still get depressed coz I'm thinking about limping. But sometimes I reassure myself that I'm still lucky that I didn't lose a leg. Thank you for lifting up my spirit.

• Posted

Thank you Sandra. I hope I could start walking with boot on FWB in 2 wks. My ankle is so stiff and I started therapy 2 days ago. It's seems like it's helping me.

• Posted

You can start drawing out the ABC' s with your foot in the air. I have stretchy bands I put on foot then try to push foot down and then reverse. Lots of back and forth movement and wiggle those toes.Do this when ever yourboot is off. The boot doesn't let any foot joints or tendons work. Also massage all your foot and toe joints to loosen. This is what my PT has me doing.

The massage stimulates circulation and helps get rid of swelling.

Good luck!

Margie😊

• Posted

Thanks was going to look into band. Anything that helps regain strength. 
    • Posted

Thanks Margie I've just booked an appointment with a private PT I just want to speed it along I'm so impatient xx

• Posted

Hi Chaz,

Looks like you have a good discussion going here.

As an ankle fracture patient I had to do my own learning and research to find my way back to health.

The doctors I've seen are really good at reading x-rays and giving the most basic advice -- such as wearing CAM boot, times to be NWB (non-weight bearing) and PWB (partial weight-bearing) on broken foot, but not much else. My experience (unless you find an extraordinary health practioner) is you get little or no detailed instructions on what to do for a speedy and full recovery. They get you out the clinic door fast.

Internet info and videos on YouTube can be immensely helpful if you want to take charge of your own healing. The caveat here is that no foot injuries are alike, and you better know what you are doing.  It is possible to re-injure yourself if you do too much too soon, or practice an ill-advised advanced exercise when you are in rehab. It is best to start conservatively and move on from there.

Let pain be your guide. 'No pain no gain' usually does not apply to recovery from foot injuries. Some people believe they must immediately walk as much as they can when they go weight-bearing. Baby steps first is advisable. Then up your game as your strength and balance go up and pain goes down.

Among the practices I have found most useful to me are the wobble board, ankle ROM (range of movement) exercises, and the elastic rubber stretch bands for resistance exercises. There are many, many other steps you can take to maximize your rehab.

Good luck to you and I hope you will soon be dancing and prancing on that foot.

• Posted

Great advise. And great to get from someone who has been through it all thank you. Sandra
    • Posted

Thank you for your very in-depth reply.

I have decided to pay for a session of private physio within the next week just to get some better idea. He is highly recommended and referred to as a magician so I am hopeful he can help me.

Also recording myself every day so I can see my improvement xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.