Cataract Lens choices

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, I'm about to undergo cataract surgery in about a month and pondering what lens to use.Would appreciate any suggestion for my situation.

I'm 61 and has been nearsighted since youth. My eye prescription is as follows: 

-6.0, -0.75, +2.5

-6.5,  DS,   +2.5

So I'm quite nearsighted on both eyes, slightly astigmatism on my right eye, and moderate presbyopia on both eyes. I've been wearing progress glassed for the last ~10 yrs. The cataract doctor was pretty sure that Sympony lens is most suitable for me. The main reason he mentioned is Symfony lens has the best chance of allowing me not needing glasses after surgery.

The thing is I don't really mind wearing glasses. My main goal after surgery is to be able to see well in all distances even if I have to wear glasses. The research I have on Symphony is it may give me good distance vision without glasses but monitor and reading may be borderline acceptable. Here are my questions:

1. Would it be a good idea that the Symphony lens is set to optimize intermediate and near visions? The distance visions then become borderline acceptable, meaning I can still function without glasses but if I want to sharpen up I wear glasses. So the end result is I will wear glasses to correct mild nearsightedness most of the time but remove glasses when reading monitor and books.

2. Can the above scenario be achieved with standard monofocal lens? Sympony lens is expensive.

Thanks in advance, Robert   

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

What is generally meant by intermediate & distance vision

• Posted

There is no universally agreed to definition of near, intermediate and distance.  These are guidelines. You must understand that a monofocal IOL or a monofocal toric IOL inserted correctly in an eye with a corresponding amount of astigmatism there is a precise distance that the IOL will be focused  anything closer or further away will be somewhat blurred. Due to the pupil changing size there is a "depth of focus" where within that range things will be pretty clear. 

Distance:  This means 20 feet (6 meter) or further 

Near: Generally this means about 12 to 18 inches which is where most people read. 

Intermediate: this is the most imprecise.  Generally it means 2-5 feet away. Within this distance are using a computer, seeing a dashboard on a car, seeing shelves at a store. 

• Posted

Sue.An, The definition is indeed quite arbitrary. Your definition is generally applied and used. However, I see a gap between 5 and 20 feet, which seems to be in no man's land. TV viewing (6-10 feet, depending on screen size) falls into this category. My right eye after cataract surgery of -1.00D, which is generally considered intermediate correction, does not see well in this distance range.

• Posted

Thanks for the info, gives me some clarification of what is meant by those terms 
    • Posted

Thanks Robert - quite right there is a gap between 5 and 20 feet.  Also some IOLs (more the multifocal) giving 2 focal points has a dip (from what I was told) between the focal points where things aren’t clear.  So many variables involved and everyone’s eyes are different too.
  • Posted

With my eye set for good distance, I see clearly at about 4or5feet and beyond.

So for me intermediate is 2-3 feet distance which is my computer PC monitor viewing distance.

Smartphone viewing is a bit closer just under 24" - kinda between intermedate and near.

Near (reading) distance for me is about 20" or less.

• Posted

I guess distance is all relative and really hard to pin down- lol

Happy New Year Night Hawk and Robert.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.