Cataract recovery time

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had my left eye done 28 days ago and my right is due next monday....

All went well touch wood but I have been a complete nightmare in worrying about infection. 2 days after starting the steroid drops I was very anxious, I persisted with them - not sure if they cause anxiety or whether it was just me.

Water, people sneezing, touching my face - basically fearing germs getting in eye has made me paranoid.

Is it true that the phaco incision heals extremely quickly and stops bacteria entering eye after 2-3 days?

I still shower with my eyes closed and for first week didnt get water anywhere near me and I still stand well away from people coughing!

I'd appreciate some guidance on post operative care and timelines as there is so much contradictory advice on the web.

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I also am getting cataract surgery and with Covid, worry about getting sick right before or right after surgery, so limited my people exposure. I would ask your doctor, but my guess is after a few days, week at the most, you should be fine.

• Posted

when r u getting, i want first hand synergy experience!!!

• Posted

yes, i have had covid but winter bugs are in full flow..... im 4 weeks post first eye and just noticed im feeling a cold brewing.

• Posted

All the surgeons seem to have their preferences for types of drops and how they are used. The surgeon I went to over a year ago now and the same one that did my wife's eye three weeks ago does not use any drops in the days before the surgery, only right before in the clinic. Drops are started the day after the surgery with Vigamox 4 times a day for one week, and Durezol once a day for three weeks. This is a bit of a change from when my eye was done, as the routine then was Vigamox 3 times a day.

So one would expect that unless something unusual happens the wound is fully healed in three weeks. However the surgeon recommends not getting an eyeglass prescription until after 6 weeks. That is apparently how long it takes to be sure the swelling of the eye had gone down and the prescription will not change further. I got my prescription at 6 weeks, and just had my one year check up. No change in the prescription.

• Posted

weve had cold lurking in our house with my 2 young sons passing it to my wife..... im noticing my chest is starting to brew a cough.

im anticipating my surgery will be cancelled.... i dont think they operate if you have a cold due to infection risk to the eye.

• Posted

My view is that you want about two months between eyes in any case. That way you know for sure what you got out of the first operation, before you do the second eye. Gives you a bit of time to confirm your decisions as to what you want for the second eye.

• Posted

pre operation my left eye was +6.5 and my right eye is +5.5.

my left eye has always been ignored by the brain and is lazy. the vision is so much better than i thought it would be.

so..... if i postpone the op im gonna need glasses as im currently wearing bmy old glasses without a left lens, so the balance is way off.

the reason im getting this operation is because i have narrow angles and clear lens extraction is to prevent narrow angle closure.

• Posted

Yes, it is always a problem dealing with the interval between eyes. I've been a year waiting for the second eye to be done, and may wait another year still. I have found that using a contact in the non operated eye is a much better solution than the eyeglasses with a lens popped out. However, I am not dealing with as much of a difference as you are.

My wife just had the first of two eyes done. It is also a lazy eye with essentially no useful vision since birth. So far it is much brighter, and she can see shapes and colours, but visual acuity has not emerged. Perhaps over time it will.

• Posted

what were you like for anxiety after the procedure? ive got two young children who have colds and my wife has just started with a bad cold.

concerned i may show symptoms after the op and be high risk of infection. i have been a right germophobic pain in the bum.

my wife accidentally coughed in my face on day 28 after first op and ive been paranoid.... im sure its all sealed etc.

• Edited

I had no issues with anxiety after the procedure. I think the main thing on infection is to take your drops for the full course of when they are prescribed. Also would be a good idea to ensure you have your COVID and flu vaccinations up to date.

• Edited

just had second eye done on Monday.. fingers crossed so good so far.

managed to get surgical tape to stick to eyelash when removing shield which has panicked me about infection. happened this morning so I'm almost 3 days post surgery.... this is what im like a pure worrier.

people waiting to get their second ones done were saying how they just showered normal a d stopped wearing guard etc...... i suppose im a fair bitt younger than them and worry like mad about vision affecting infections.

• Posted

I just kept my eyes closed when showering, and made sure there was no shower spray directed towards my eyes.

• Posted

had my review today, all healed nicely after 10 days.

No restrictions other than no swimming/sauna/heavy weights for 4 weeks.

I have struggled with the Maxidex as it has burned my eyes and given me some allergic reactions.... apparently I have zero inflammation and the ophthalmologist prescribed me preservative free hydrocortisone..... its a bit weaker I think but I assume she is happy to do this as I have no inflammation as it stands.

thanks for your replies 😃

• Edited

I just had cataract surgery 2 weeks ago and being I workout I asked my doctor at the 1 week follow when I could go back to the gym and lift heavy and get back on the pickleball court and he said you can go anytime. I even said I read on the internet some doctors saying you should not lift more than 10lbs and he said that was back in the old days, but we now just make a small slit.

I guess there is not universal consensus. But I did lift light at first, but now at 2 weeks I am back at max and nothing bad so far. Of course it never hurts to lean towards the cautious side.

• Posted

I was advised against the swimming/heavy weights, and all sports as well. My wife was prescribed Vigamox 4X a day for 7 days, and Durezol 1X a day for 21 days.

• Posted

my concern over getting Softacort aftyer 10 days of maxidex was that its seems to be marketed as a steroid to treat surface inflammation and that it may not work on the inner part of the eye..... obviously the opthalmologist knows what they are doing and I did flag this to them but they said its fine.

I think once initial inflammation is controlled the remainder of the time is to prevent it coming back and many taper the doses right down after 2 weeks.

• Posted

They both seem to be a steroid, as is the Durezol. These are used for a longer duration after surgery than the antibiotic drops. I think they are intended to promote healing of the wound in the eye. It seems there are many different variations of how surgeons prescribe eye drops after surgery. Some even prescribe them before surgery. Mine did not.

• Posted

Yes, my opthalmologist said that much of the info out there is for the old extended incisions....

However she said to not go heavy lifting for 4 weeks from the date I seen her which was 5 weeks post surgery. She did say my wound had healed but clearly it wont be at full strength. Swimming, sauna and lifting 5 weeks all in but she said I could wet face in shower.

The risk of wound opening invites infection like endophthalmitis - which is seriously bad. I'm being very very cautious till 6 weeks post op. Then I will likely start with cardio and light weights till 8 weeks.

• Posted

what would the symptoms be if you opened the incision?

• Posted

Not sure, maybe pain, vision loss and the like.

I am back playing Pickleball. I guess if the ball hit me in the eye that could be a problem.

Also maybe bending over could send elevated pressure to the eye. Not really sure.

I guess it never hurts to be extra careful. Maybe safer to sit on a coach watching TV and gaining weight than being back on the court playing Pickleball or is it????

Now there are things I am avoiding. I do woodworking, so not doing any sanding and trying to avoid other dusty things. Also trying to avoid smoke and steam. These things seem more risky to the eye IMHO than playing Pickleball, but I could be wrong.

• Posted

It may be prudent to wear racket ball googles/glasses to protect the eye. Wouldn't be a good time to take a ball in the eye.

• Posted

Luckily most Pickleball bangers (ball smashers) are striking downwards. So while getting hit in the jewels is not unheard of, getting smashed in the face is not very common.

But I do have tennis sunglasses I could wear.

• Posted

looking at the risks to the eye in more depth after this operation has made me realise how much risk there is out there.

i have worn glasses all my life so intend to try and use protection on my eyes where possible..... low hanging branches when playing golf etc.

my mother in law pierced her eye with abranch when gardening..... very lucky indeed.

• Posted

Funny you mention that, as the closest I have come to an eye injury since surgery is hitting my head as part of everyday life. Maybe it is due to the fact when playing Pickleball or working out I am aware of the risk and more alert, but less alert when just doing everyday activities.

• Posted

Im on day 17 and I picked my son up earlier, he's 25kg and I panicked about it... shows the extent of my worries!

An interesting one for people to consider is vitamin C.... I have been taking 1-2g per day as our house was hit with winter bugs, I read up on it and its supposed to be amazing for skin/tissue healing. At day 10 my opthalmologist said she couldn't see where she made the incision.

• Posted

First, I am from US, which means I have no idea what 25kg is; LAL.

Second, I was back to full activity including bench press until yesterday when I pulled a leg muscle playing Pickleball. Pickleball is a dangerous sport. Hmmm, it occurred to me if not from US you might not even heard of Pickleball. So Now I am back to doing nothing while I recover, but the eye is doing Great.

• Posted

25kg = 55 pounds, im a good 17st bloke who is quite strong so it shouldn't be a problem.

im gonna play this very safe - 8 weeks till heavy lifts.

Got my 4 week test in 2 weeks, my vision before was +6.5 +5.5, so I literally needed glasses all the time. I have mono lenses, I will need 3 pairs of glasses I think, readers, PC glasses and TV glasses. TV glasses will be minimal I think - maybe 0.25 just for comfort.

• Posted

You may want to consider just getting progressive glasses. They can correct all your residual errors plus give you reading.

• Posted

yes, had a try the other day. very cool. will use them for work and TV.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.