Cataract recovery time

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had my left eye done 28 days ago and my right is due next monday....

All went well touch wood but I have been a complete nightmare in worrying about infection. 2 days after starting the steroid drops I was very anxious, I persisted with them - not sure if they cause anxiety or whether it was just me.

Water, people sneezing, touching my face - basically fearing germs getting in eye has made me paranoid.

Is it true that the phaco incision heals extremely quickly and stops bacteria entering eye after 2-3 days?

I still shower with my eyes closed and for first week didnt get water anywhere near me and I still stand well away from people coughing!

I'd appreciate some guidance on post operative care and timelines as there is so much contradictory advice on the web.

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Can those of you with Vivity lenses indicate the quality of your closeup vision? Are you able to apply makeup without glasses? Has anyone on this forum had a Pan Optix lens implanted? How bad are your halos? My doctor is suggesting a Pan Optiz lens for the non-dominant eye and 2 weeks later a Vivity lens for the dominant eye. He thinks my brain will get used to the halos and that I will be able to read without glasses. I don't do a great deal of night driving but I read. How does this "mix and match" work for you?

Any advice is appreciated.

• Posted

I had mine done on NHS in UK so I don't know what lens I got to be honest.

I do see shimmering light when watching TV at night and thats about it really. Need reading glasses for close up work/pc.

• Posted

I don't wear make up but got 2 Vivity lenses . I got the Vivity iols this fall to replace cataracts. I wore bifocals for a decade. Now I'm sitting at my MacBook using readers of 1.25 magnification., theo lowest available. I can see the screen OK without the readers, but it just gets crisper with them. Optometrist tells me my across the room vision prior to surgery was 20/40, now it is 20/25.

In my experience, it is really hard to accurately recall what one's vision was like before surgery. I guess I needed glasses more for intermediate, and I notice white paper and walls seem cooler, bluer, than they did before.

I can definitely see the illuminated dash on my car and drive safely without glasses. I've driven at night and don't have a problem with glare or halos. When I had just one Vivity lens, between my surgeries, I did sense it was harder to drive at night than before. Vivity, I'm told, does impact contrast sensitivity. That seems much less pronounced after the second eye was done.

Optometrist told me to avoid the cheapest readers, like those sold at dollar stores. I got a pair at an office supply store for $12 that work well. She also suggested blue light blocking lenses as I spend hours a day on the computer. The Vivity had UV blocking built it, but that is not the same as blue light. I ordered a pair of progressive readers, meaning the top center of the lens is clear and there is extra magnification at the bottom. These were under $30, not sure I will continue to use them. They take some getting used to, and I got a bit of a headache reading with them.

I am not going to be doing any glowing testimonials for Vivity, but they are a measurable improvement over my prior vision and I will learn to live with them. The Vivity and Panoptix combo that your doctor suggests sounds reasonable if you want better close vision, but I am not a doctor and I only have experience with the bilateral Vivity.

• Posted

Pretty much all of the Alcon lenses have blue light filtering. If you google FDA Vivity Package Insert pdf you should find the technical specs for your Vivity lens. The non toric is a DFT015.

• Posted

the panoptix US version is clear TFAT vs TFNT in Europe.

• Posted

i think it is a great idea. u will have near vision and greatly reduced halos and minimal contrast loss with that combo.

• Posted

Thank all of you for your responses, especially soks.

• Posted

The US FDA approval I have seen is for the TFNT which is yellow and has blue light filtering. Perhaps they have also approved a clear version, but I have not seen it on a quick search.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.