cataract surgery in young age

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all.

I am 40 years old and I was undergoing cataract surgery a month ago with multifocal Alcon Panoptix lenses. Before that, I was short-sighted (-7), subcapsular cataract progressed very quickly. Now my distance vision is 20/20, i can also read fine print. But i am still very depressed that I had the operation at such a young age. Maybe who has similar experience and had this procedure in young age? Thank you for reading my post.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had cataract surgery at age 17 (currently 29 years old). I also had a multifocal lens implanted but I'm suffering from a host of light perception issues. I'm thinking about going back for another surgery to replace my lens but it could be risky (It could leave me blind). I've also had a vitrectomy surgery in the same eye so it's been no fun...

So rest assured you're not the only one dealing with this crap at a young age.

• Grant
  • Posted

my first surgeries were at age 48. and all the comments were, youre too young to have cataracts. at first it really effected my self esteem, but i learned from it. i have the ability at this age to correct my vision and heal quickly. i believe, if later on in life, i would have had more complications and the outcome may have been much worse. so today, i can be happy with my choices, and accept that im aging...just quicker than the average person...and im ok with it

• Posted

I had read your story. How do you like your new vision new?

• Posted

two weeks out, and im tickled to death vision is good 😃

• Posted

Hi Asta - although older at 53 - still young for cataract surgery. It wasn't an easy time but totally needed the surgery as I was going blind. Some decisions are totally out of our hands. Grateful I can drive again, work, watch TV and daughter play soccer!

I haven't heard of your lenses. I live in Canada so our selection is limited. I have Symfony EDOF lenses. Are yours new on the market? Are they multifocals (assume so if you can see all 3 distances?

I think more experience cataracts younger than we realize and thankfully because of internet we can connect and share experiences. My surgeon thought mine were caused by my severe eczema and use of steriod creams. One year I saw fine with glasses and next year couldn't read road glasses - my cataracts developed fast.

Glad you are able to see well and everything turned out ok. Sometimes it doesn't and it is truly a sad thing to have vision impacted.

How is night vision for you? That is where my vision is a little lacking. I see multiple concentric circles around certain lights at night.

• Posted

Asta,

While I'm a bit older (ok, more than a bit) than you, I can still relate to your story based on the vision. I had cataract surgery at 60. My vision was horrible: -8.5 and -8.0. Even corrected with contacts, it was still not 20/20. I had to wear readers, often got headaches, and other problems too numerous to mention. While cataracts were starting, the vision headaches were bad enough to justify having the surgery done. My attitude towards it was that my eyes would never be as healthy as they were at that moment in time. It's a decision I've never regretted. I went from MAYBE 20/40 or 20/60 and readers to perfect 20/20 both near and far. Additionally, as a high myopic, it was brought to my attention that my retinas were really thin and also had lattice degeneration--conditions that we're prone to having. I had argon laser treatment prior to surgery to strengthen the retinas and I honestly believe that the two docs involved saved my sight. I recently had to have another laser treatment because of a slight retinal detachment in one eye, BUT I knew what to watch out for (thank you Dr. Claudia and Dr. Silva!!!!) and contacted my doc immediately when it happened. So, my point (as windy as I've been) is to not dwell so much on the fact that you were young when the surgery happened, but to appreciate that you live in a time when you don't have to wear coke bottle glasses like our grandparents did following surgery. You have 20/20 vision. Ain't life grand?

• Posted

I am 42 years old and I just had cataract surgery on my left eye a month ago and my right eye last week. I had toric symfony lenses put in for both. i also had subcapsular cataracts that were rapid forming. I noticed my left eye was cloudy in early December of last year. By early Feb i could only get to 20/70 in my left eye. By the end of Feb, my left eye was so cloudy that I could not even read a license plate on a car in front of me at a stop light. My right eye soon followed. I took a magnifying glass to work with me must to be able to read my computer. i did it discreetly in my office and hid the fact that i had cataracts from everyone at work and my friends as well. Only family knew and only a couple of people outside of my family. it wasnt so much shame, but just didnt want people to know. Mid March i decided to stop driving. it was just too risky. Luckily my left eye was done March 18th. So, i only has to have someone close to me drive me for a week before i would have one eye back. it came just in time because my right eye continued to go. Had the surgery been just a week later, i would have not been able to function because both eyes would only be able to see shapes. Finally, last week i had my right eye done. so far both have been a success. I believe i am 20/25 in my left eye. I teated around 20/40 in my right, which was a little disappointing, but i am hopeful that will improve since it has only been a little over a week and i am still healing. Reading vision is good and maybe even better than right before my cataracts. ( i was just starting to have the onset of presbyopia the past year). i totally get what you are saying about having this at such a young age. i was really down at first. i didnt like the fact that my natural lens was being taken out and something artificial was being out in. i dont know why it bothered me. it just did. i kind of felt cheated in a way. hard to explain. but as rapid as it progressed, those feelings were overshadowed by the fact that i needed this fixed and needed it fixed fast. i think that helped me cope with it because it was better than the alternative of seeing only shapes and dull colors of those shapes. i try not to ask why me because in the whole scheme of things, it isnt that bad. yeah, it sucks to have to deal with this in my early forties, but i am trying to focus on the fact that i probably wont need glasses or contacts anymore for the most part. i think that in a few months this whole cataract thing will be a distant afterthought. i dont know if i added any value here with my story, but it does make me feel better that someone around my age feels similarly.

• Posted

I felt the same way as you at 53. My parents haven't had cataract surgery yet. I can relate to not being able to read license plate of car in front of me stopped at a red light or even big overhead road signs. I felt cheated about there maybe a better lens just around the corner - at the time Symfony was just released in canada but not much info out about them - however stumbled upon these forums and learned about the concentric circles around lights at night.

I really agonized about the lens selection - with still working full time and have a teen living at home needs are very different than a retired senior. That is what tipped the scale from a monofocal to Symfony for me (I have 2 Symfony lenses).

Personally I am glad I have 2 of the same lenses as my near vision improved after 2nd one was implanted.

It is really an individual choice and hard to decide based on other's experiences.

The feelings are normal - being told you have cataracts when not expecting it is a blind side. My surgeon said it well. For most people after a certain age cataract diagnosis is welcomed ad they've lost good vision many years ago and dealing with asses for many distances. They ate gaining something through cataract surgery. Younger patients have to decide which compromise to make. Night vision issues with EDOF or multifocal lenses or being able to see one distance clearly with a monofocal lens (or compromise depth perception with monovision).

Very hard but I am now 18 months away from surgeries and can honestly say it isn't something I think about every day. With cataracts and vision so poor it was something I thought about and struggled with.

Just hope these lenses do last a lifetime or I don't get pco and need laser surgery.

• Posted

I am glad i have the same lens as well. So far, i feel i made the right decision. hopefully this feeling will continue. It is still early on for me and while the first eye responded very well and so far the second one has as well, the experience overall with the recovery has been different. i saw instantly with the first one. I could read signs, license plates, and saw vivid colors right away. the second one was very different with blurriness and haze. i had much more swelling as well. but all that evened out the next day. it took me a week to be able to see up close in my first eye. the second i could read up close the next day after the swelling subsided. Very strange how they differed. How is your night vision overall?

• Posted

I did not have surgery when I was young, it must be difficult but if you accomplish correction and sight, what can you do, its not vision loss...You seem to have a good attitude, I hope things go fine. I think outside of functioning daily, sight is so critical for enjoying life. Lets hope for the best. Best wishes, take care.

• Posted

Very true Elizabeth -I try to live my life through an attitude of gratitude. Even though this wasn't what I expected to go through (I am not alone as this happens to others as well) and I am thankful my surgeon was able to give me back good eyesight and the downside of concentric rings around lights at night have been something I can adapt to.

• Posted

i am 43. diagnosed with PSC at 41. i got one eye done with Symfony and i am experiencing severe nightime dysphotopsia since day 6 post op. other risk of being young is PCO, thats why they remove the posterior capsule as well in children. another risk of being young and male is risk of retina detachment after cataract surgery. so odds are stacked against young people when it comes to cataract surgery.

• Posted

Do you have PCO or retina detachment?

• Posted

My mother had Retina Detachment after YAG (surgery at age 41).

I have PCO but not interfering with vision yet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.