cataract surgery in young age

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all.

I am 40 years old and I was undergoing cataract surgery a month ago with multifocal Alcon Panoptix lenses. Before that, I was short-sighted (-7), subcapsular cataract progressed very quickly. Now my distance vision is 20/20, i can also read fine print. But i am still very depressed that I had the operation at such a young age. Maybe who has similar experience and had this procedure in young age? Thank you for reading my post.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My wife just got diagnosed with cataract in both eyes at age 42. She had excellent vision until now (no glasses etc).

It is/was painful pill to swallow as our lifestyle and diet apparently should have protected her against cataract!!!

I guess genetics/family history trumped lifestyle!

• Posted

I think genetics plays a bigger time than our lifestyles for most health issues. Not to say there isn't some benefit but certainly doesn't protect us from these big health issues.

• Posted

i understand what you mean. i got diagnosed with the same at 41 and my mother was diagnosed with the same at 40. cataracts at young age suck because the compromises with IOL are sudden and very noticeable.

• Posted

Hi Asta and others.

My story is very different, but just to let you know, cataracts can come in any age.

I was born with cataracts both eyes, I am now 45, it was discovered when I went to school in the age of 6.

Back then they did not have the advanced techniques we have today, so doctors advised my mother to wait if possible, as long as I thrived and was able to follow school - and I did somehow, the brain is amazing, it can compensate for a lot of things, if we let it.

When I got old enough to make my own decision I still waited, because my cataracts was so servere, that no one was able to measure my eyes or take pictures of the retinas, so it was impossible to predict what outcome an operation would have.

Now presbyopia have started as well, it really makes no sense waiting any longer for me, so within the last couple of month I have visited 4 private eye clinics, 3 of them could not make measurements on my eyes, but one could, and they could also shoot some sort of digital image of the retinas through the cataracts.

It all looks like I can get a very decent result with a lens exchange - and I am thrilled! 😃

On the 17/7 I will be getting lens exchange, off course I have doubt about choosing the right lenses as everyone has, but this is one of the biggest wishes I have had all my live, and I really can not wait at all 😃

I will probably not have the same great result that you have, because when you are born with cataracts like me, some other stuff might not develop fully either, but i will be satisfied with lot less than perfect.

I have lived all my live with a distance vision on my best eye about 6/12, double vision, massive contrast lost, a lot of problems in the dark and so on.

But I have taken different educations, I have my own trading company and I have been doing lots of sports, I have always found a way to do what I want, simply because the brain is amazing, it always finds a way to do things.

I fully understand your situation, and I fully understand it comes as a very big shock to be diagnosed with cataracts in your age, or in any age for that matter.

Off course right now you are experiencing some things that was easier before, but really, make peace with it, do the things that makes you happy, enjoy life 😃

Cheers

Christian

• Posted

Good luck Viking Warrior! Wishing you all the best 😃

• Posted

sorry you had to go through this. makes me put things into perspective about how small my problems are.

hopefully you dont have amblyopia because of not treating the cataracts early. also try and look into ORA which can help measure your eye once the cataract is out. they will have lenses of all power at hand to use after ORA measurements.

also if you have amblyopia then i suggest vision therapy and patching post your surgery. good luck for best outcome.

• Posted

Looking forward to hearing from you after your surgeries! I am very excited for you to see well.

• Posted

I have developed a cataract in my left eye due to blunt trauma.

my doctor recommends a symfony edof in that eye.

My right eye is completely fine and healthy. i never had to wear wear glasses(need them for the left eye after injury)

anyone have the experience with symfony in one eye and completely fine natural second eye?

is it a good choice? or should i stick to aspheric monofocals.

i would like to keep playing football(soccer) and need to be spectacle free for that Don't mind wearing glasses for reading.

also if anyone would like to share their experience with monofocals. what all tasks they can perform comfortably without glasses. I am 27 now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.