Cataract Surgery Incision and Post-Op Antibiotics/Steroids

Posted , 10 users are following.

Is the incision from cataract surgery visible after the operation? Where is it located, just above the iris? Does the cut/scar disappear as it heals over a few weeks/months?

Regarding the post-op series of antibiotics and steroids, most take many drops per day for weeks after the surgery.  But there are a few doctors I've read about that avoid all that trouble by injecting a special mixture into the eye one time during the surgery that last for weeks so no eye drops are needed by the patient. Has anyone gotten this "dropless" intracameral injection of antibiotics/steroids approach for cataract surgery  instead of having to take lots of eyedrops per day for weeks?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Incision on the cornea from the cataract surgery is not visible to a lay person. I have never noticed or seen it in my wife's eyes, my eyes, or anyone else's eyes.

However, my opthamologist can spot it when he examines my eyes closely.

• Posted

Personally, I would feel more comfortable using eye drops (only the steroid drops need to be used for more than 1 week after surgery).

Fortunately, the allergic reaction to drugs don't happen often. However, it will be much easier to switch the eyedrops to a different type in case of a reaction compared with undoing the effect of the intercameral injection.

Many surgeons offer combination of eye drops so that only 1 eye drop needs to be used 4 times a day instead of 3 eye drops four times a day.

• Posted

I had my second eye done in March & couldn't see the incision the same evening.

As for drops, I had drops to use for 2 weeks.  I forget now, how many I had to use but not the 'many' that you talk about.

I have a chronic eye contion, which I have had for over 30 years, requiring the use of steroid eye drops, hence the cataracts.

• Posted

The first couple cataract consultations I've  had the doctors prescribe 3 different types of eyedrops, 4drops of each per day, so thats 12 eyedrops/day plus I already take several eyedrops a day for lowering eye pressure and for dry eye - so could add up to "many" for me!  Hence why the single injection and avoid extra eyedrops option sounds good to me. My 3rd consultation in a few weeks is at an eye surgeon that I've found online articles where he has commented on the single injection approach, so I'm hoping he may offer that option.

• Posted

Thanks for the info on the visibility of the incision after surgery.

Is the incision always done at the same location?

Where is it - just above the colored part of the eye?

• Posted

There is probably some location and size variation depending on whether the surgeon uses a scalpel or a laser to make the incision, bit it is not that important.

The incision is within the colored part of the eye.

• Posted

Hi I had a cateract done last October time and had to go back the next day for another as i had a dropped nucleus (every surgeons nightmare i read) i was given several lots of drops and found them very painful. had to go back after a couple of days so i asked for dfferent ones, i still found it very painful and i wasnt very good at putting them in, i felt very unwell with the stress etc so after 4 days i gave up! i had to go back several times and they just said keep up with the drops you are doing well. My eyesight is fine and all is well. Obviously this isnt for everyone but thats my story. Good Luck
  • Posted

I had surgery July 10 and This past Monday I am now drop free. Compared to my husband who has to take many pills per day for various things - my drops are a breeze. Just had 2 kinds and one was finished one week post op and last 2 weeks was on 2x a day with steroid drop. Really no big deal. I am sure each opthamologist has their own preferred regiment- at least when I asked that was the response.

As far as incision site I couldn't see anything. Just don't touch your eyelidbfirstb2 weeks - very sensitive and sore. Even couldn't put a face cloth on it. Only other visible sign was a small bruise under my eye that came out. My family thought it was make-up smudge. That and my family says one eye is brighter.

• Posted

My right eye after surgery even the day after wasn't sore or sensitive at all!

I also looked closely at the eye in the mirror with a flashlight and a magnifying glass and I couldn't see any sign of the incision.

Nobody I've asked to look at my two eyes could see any obvious difference between them either.

• Posted

Now 4 weeks after the cataract surgery on my right eye I had an optometrist eye exam today to get a new eyeglasses Rx and see where the right eye ended up.  Of course the right eye could still change a bit over the coming weeks and months, but one month after surgery was recommended as when I could get a new eyeglasses Rx.

The diopter step is 0.25D between each lens the optometrist uses in the refraction process where they switch between two lenses and ask you which one is better or worse or about the same.  This means there is going to be +/-0.25D accuracy at best and some of it is subjective based on your own choice too.

The final eyeglasses Rx for my right eye (with the toric monofocal IOL) she came up with was:

sph= Plano(0.00D)  cyl = -1.00D axis=115

She mentioned that I thought the vision with the astigmatism cylinder value of -1.00D and -0.75D was virtually the same, and I picked the -1.00D as better, but I recall some of my choices were really like a coin toss, so -0.75D cylinder might be close to the actual residual astigmatism.  I believe the surgeon was shooting for around -0.50D cylinder since he said he leaves a little due to as the eye ages it will tend to reduce the cylinder, so that means it ended up within the expected range, within 0.50D of the target.

The target sph power for my right eye was -0.25D and so it ended up right on or very close since the refraction test error is at least 0.25D, and the IOL steps are 0.50D giving at best +/-0.25D accuracy as well.

This does make sense since I suspected some residual astigmatism was causing  a little blurriness at all distances compared to my well corrected with eyeglasses left eye. I'll find out how close this Rx ends up working with real eyeglasses that I will order this week, probably get them within 2 weeks from now. At the eye doctor exam with the final lenses that you look thru for the testing both eyes seemed very close and reading the 20/20 line well, so thats what I'd expect with the new eyeglasses.

• Posted

Sounds as though your results were pretty good.  How long till you get the glasses.  Is there much of a wait?
    • Posted

Yeah the results were very close to what I expected, maybe just slightly more residual astigmatism (0.75 to 1.00 vs my expected 0.50) and the axis was different then it was before, don't know why that is.  Anyway the result seems to confirm that the toric IOL has not rotated significantly in one month and thats the critical period - statistics I've read indicate the risk of rotation shrinks dramatically in the months after that.

I was slightly surprised by the "plano" power result since I was expecting a little nearsighted -0.25D to -0.50D, but perhaps the slightly higher astigmatism than I expected is acting like nearsightedness plus some general blur as well.  Kind of nice to hear I now have an eye thats perfectly corrected (PLANO) at least for the power part, the surgeon sure hit a bullseye for that part!

On my past eyeglasses orders from the online vendor, the delivery time has been typically one to two weeks.  I think progressive pairs take a few days longer than simpler single vision pairs.  I'll probably just order a progressive pair and a computer vision pair to make sure the new Rx works OK. They have a 30day return period for any issues, can get 100% credit to reorder if I need to tweak the Rx slightly or a frame doesn't fit well or similar thing.  I'll probably do a follow up order a few weeks later if the Rx is fine, to get a distance only pair and a reading glasses pair I sometimes like to use separately from the progressive pair.  Also a second/backup progressive pair  in a different frame for working around the house.

The final view at the optometrist looking thru the effective Rx lenses gave me an almost exact match view of the 20/20 line between both eyes that appeared very stable.  If I get that vision in both eyes with new eyeglasses I would be very happy, plus my right eye at 20/30 or so typically uncorrected is fine for getting around without glasses when desired like casual TV watching from 6feet away or so.

• Posted

With eye glasses for distance will your progressives have clear lenses for operated eye?  Looks like trying these lenses at the optometrist gives you knowledge that wearing glasses will work out fine- no issues with vision between 2 eyes.   This will give you opportunity to wait until you need 2nd surgery.

Glad your eye is now stable.  Amazed at how varied it is for people having same surgery 

• Posted

Actually for my right eye, the eyeglasses will have zero power but 1D cylinder to hopefully compensate for the residual astigmatism that causes blurring.

I suspect that the astigmatism in my right eye is varying, over minutes and between days, though its not varying as much as did in previous weeks.  Today vision in my right eye is still good in the morning it was 20/25 and nearly 20/20, but in the afternoon drops to 20/30 or so.  Probably the astigmatism is varying between as low as 0.5D and up to 1.0D or so - perhaps that variation will reduce further in the coming weeks and months, its reduced from how much it varied a couple weeks ago.

New eyeglasses I ordered yesterday using the 1D cylinder may end up overcorrecting in the near future. I  might get a better result with a little smaller cylinder like 0.75D or 0.50D, trying to get near the center of the variation. I'll evaluate this with the new eyeglasses when I get them in a couple weeks hopefully. But it should at least move the variation to perhaps 0 to 0.50D cylinder instead of 0.50D to 1.0D, which should move the variation to maybe 20/15 to 20/25 or better, thats my goal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.