Cataract Surgery Incision and Post-Op Antibiotics/Steroids

Posted , 10 users are following.

Is the incision from cataract surgery visible after the operation? Where is it located, just above the iris? Does the cut/scar disappear as it heals over a few weeks/months?

Regarding the post-op series of antibiotics and steroids, most take many drops per day for weeks after the surgery.  But there are a few doctors I've read about that avoid all that trouble by injecting a special mixture into the eye one time during the surgery that last for weeks so no eye drops are needed by the patient. Has anyone gotten this "dropless" intracameral injection of antibiotics/steroids approach for cataract surgery  instead of having to take lots of eyedrops per day for weeks?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I read the incision is the size of the tip of a ballpoint pen.
    • Posted

That's with the regular cataract surgery, not the laser surgery.

• Posted

I thought you had the intracameral injection? Anyway, the incision size is tiny (like the size of the tip of a ballpoint pen) and I think they usually do it on the side of the iris (colored part of the eye), but I think it depends on whether or not you ever had other surgery like people who had radial keratotomy for vision correction a long time ago may need the incision to be done at the top to do a different procedure than normal since their corneas have cuts on them (it's called a tunnel procedure I think).

• Posted

I thought this was a new question (so hard to follow the answers on here sometimes).
  • Posted

There are two small incisions made into the cornea during the surgery and they are self healing and do not need stitches.

When I had both my cataracts done I was given one bottle of a combined steroid/antibiotic eye drops.  As they are steroids, they are a reducing dose, so 4 drops for a week, then 3, 2, 1 and nothing, so for a month.

No problem, but the drops did give me a headache sometimes.

• Posted

Yesterday I tried to look for the incision on my right eye in the mirror with a flashlight and magnifying lens, but it all looks like it did before surgery to me.

My surgeon did a one time injection into the eye during the surgery with the steroid, antibiotic, etc that will keep working for a few weeks.  That reduces the eyedrops I have to take myself to just a steroid 1drop/day and an NSAID 1/drop/day for four weeks.

• Posted

You won't see anything like that yourself with a magnifying glass - you need dilating eye drops and a slit lamp to see that.

• Posted

I think they usually only make one incision, Sarah, but maybe you needed two.
  • Posted

i explore topics.You can read about the dropless medication.They  feel in third world countries and some aged people do not stick with the protocol so the injection is good.Also it may be cheaper.My dr gives 3 different drops and depending on each visit stops or continues each one..,he takes his time with any new thing.I think if surgery is at a big hospital eye center the residents, fellows , professirs  are up to date on all new   methods

there is a lot of information to be found

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.