Cataracts

Posted , 9 users are following.

Had my first iol implant and immediately noticed clarity of vision. Nurse warned me it would become blurred. By time i got home my vision was blurred with cloudiness. Whilst cloudiness and blurring has cleared by next day my clarity of vision is less than it was initially. Will this continue to improve or is this as goid as it gets. My glasses gave me better vision. I am waiting for my other cataract removal still.

0 likes, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The patient info I was given States the vision may be cloudy for the first two weeks then improves this was certainly the case for me as I had a bleed during the op . Please don't be worried it's early days and I'm sure your vision will gradually improve ,

• Posted

Thanks. Think my concern is with having such clarity immediately i got out of chair from day op that i am worried it wont improve to that level again now blurring gone.
  • Posted

Hi Susan, do you know I cease to be amazed at the patients who write on this site re cataract ops and all have problems, I have had both my eyes done, had dreadful time after both ops first one June 2016 second one Aug 2016, after about 6 weeks my vision in both eyes is OK, how lucky am I but my eyes feel like sh*t if you will excuse the expression but its the best word to describe them, as I said my vision is OK and I am very pleased about that and hope that 2017 and thereafter this doesnt change but one never knows.

Back to you, how very disappointing that your vision is worse than before the op but if you read all the letters in this site you are not alone, if I had read these letters before I had my ops I wouldnt have gone through with it but thats maybe a contradiction in terns because my sight was not good before the ops and its good now, just learning to live with the dreadful feeling in my eyes.  I think you should get advice and some assurance that the sight in your eye is going to be alright, I was wondering if you had anything wrong with your eyes prior to the op, ie did you have glucoma or some other symptom because this can affect the cataract op I am sure that perhaps this was what happened to me but its not easy to find out.  Please let us know how you get on.  I wish there was a site that those who have had successful ops could tell us where we have gone wrong!!!!!!

Regards Agnes

• Posted

I agree with you Agnes I did not realise the problems people have had with cataract operations , my operation in November was not straight forward I had a bleed during my operation which caused severe cloudy vision for three weeks my sight is now very good however my eye still irritates me at times it feels gritty and sore , I am due to have my other eye done but my confidence had been shaken ,
  • Posted

Finding all the comnents really useful. All i can say is that cataracts at 50 odd meant i was requiring rwgular orescription changes. So for me the iol lenses were only way forward. I am prepared to still need varifocals or 2 prs glasses to cope with any shortcomings due to always having worn glasses from childhood. It is a shame they cant incorporate a way of letting you see the visual limitations of iols through lenses to help with choice.
    • Posted

well, as the others can explain in alot more detail, they cannot do that  , there are just too many variables. things they could not replicate for you in the office. in my opinion, the most important being one's own brains reaction to them.    i kinda just fell into the surgery, i know that sounds stupid, not reading about it until after it was over and done with. thank god that it happened that way. i would never have been able to make a decent choice with my ocd.  but god took care of me. i love my new vision never having dreamt that i could see this good.    the night r my first surgery, i walked and walked around my neighborhood with my hand covering my bad unoperated on eye.  finally a neighbor stopped and asked what i was doing...seeing is all i could say.   biggrin

• Posted

Of course its an imossibility but no harm in wishing..lol. I could see well as soon as i got up from operation chait. By tine i got home the clarity and distance was no longer there. ..and im still hoping it will come back. Nurse said it would go blurry ..but dont understand why that level of clarity and distance has not yet returned. My surgeon is on holiday for two weeks now.
    • Posted

Yes..but no harm in dreaming. Just have no return of the clarity and distance i initially noted on getting up from operating chair. Will it ever return?
    • Posted

no there's no harm in dreaming.....kinda keeps you sane lol...ive  been thinking about it though.....how could the nurse know your eyesight would be worse.......in my case, my first eye was like you right up from the chair eyesight clear , amazingly so,   but then the second eye was blurry from the first day, on the post off check-up it was still blurry and distance not as good as the first eye , but by the third day, the eye was  ok.  my surgerys were 6wks/4wks ago.   i'll keep you in my prayers

• Posted

Maybe nurse knew how anaesthetic drops etc would wear off?..not sure. As i kept saying they have a lot of eyes they look after..i have only two..lol.Spoke to a friend who works in an outpatients. She said consultants do warn that eye will becone blurry but then improve. Something to do with eye and muscle repairing and brain readjusting . Makes sense i suppose. Amazed at how tired i get. Goidness knows how older peopke cope. Suppose its all to do with having high level of myopia as well as cataracts in both eyes needing sorting. It is only my 4th day post op i suppose.

• Posted

susan it's been a few days since you've posted, any change in your eyesight

• Posted

Hi..small signs of ongoing improvement. Grateful for all the comments too.thakyou..
  • Posted

Well..seems fairly settled now. But i woke suddenly this morning and dreamily seem to remember rubbing my eyes before waking fully!. No idea wether i did or not for deffo. Cant be sure weiher my vision is same or not in op eye. Oh my!!Will see hoe things look when o wake up tomorrow. I see surgeon fri anyway. Did anyone else have this issue?
    • Posted

Hi Susan, I did bang my eye in the night which wakened me up because it hurt, I also have rubbed my eye while asleep, this was probably a couple of weeks after surgery, it didnt seem to do any harm, I asked earlier on this site if anyone knew if it was danagerous to rub eyes when they itched the advice was that it wasnt a good idea but what on earth are you supposed to do if your eye is itchy.

Maybe we will get some advice now

Regards Agnes

• Posted

Its all the dos and donts which make you apprehensive when it happens however accidental it may be. I know if sudden loss of vision or bluriness occurs its to sort. But your memory plays tricks when you first wake each morning..and the angle at which you are lookibg at something can vary so easily. I know my vision driops a bit as day goes on and my eyes are tired but not to extent there is a drastic change. Its all so hit and miss. Also seems to be more dos and donts appropriate if you have had a stitch in place i think. So apart from making us paranoid all should be ok!!
    • Posted

I also find its dependant on angle and level of daylight or sunshine or lighting...
    • Posted

"dreamily seem to remember rubbing my eyes before waking fully!. No idea wether i did or not"

Did your surgeon not give you any sort of eye protection to wear?  Mine taped a plastic eye shield over the operated eye and I wasn't to remove it until my 24-hour post-op the next day, and then I taped it on myself when going to bed every night for two weeks.  Prevents accidently rubbing the eye, banging it, or some such.

• Posted

"I asked earlier on this site if anyone knew if it was danagerous to rub eyes when they itched the advice was that it wasnt a good idea but what on earth are you supposed to do if your eye is itchy."

When my eye itched, I "cheated" by ever so gently brushing a kleenex across the surface.  That way it relieved the itch without causing any pressure.  I certainly wouldn't rub, as that puts pressure on the eye.

• Posted

I agree.I do this. It certainly does the trick.It was how i was told to do it too.
    • Posted

No. I was told nit needed. I did ask. I didnt have a stitch either like some do so maybe that was why not. Surgeon also said it would take a lot of rubbing anyway..??!!

Fortunately i managrd not to do so till then. Gather the eyeshield is to stop pressure when you lay on that side. I slept on my back and other side anyway. Different surgeons at differeent hospitals do different it seems.

• Posted

I agree.I do this. It certainly does the trick.It was how i was told to do it too.
    • Posted

Hi rgCalifornia, thank you for this tip, havnt tried it yet but as soon as I have an itch we're in business, will let you know

Kindest regards

Agnes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.