Cataracts

Posted , 9 users are following.

Had my first iol implant and immediately noticed clarity of vision. Nurse warned me it would become blurred. By time i got home my vision was blurred with cloudiness. Whilst cloudiness and blurring has cleared by next day my clarity of vision is less than it was initially. Will this continue to improve or is this as goid as it gets. My glasses gave me better vision. I am waiting for my other cataract removal still.

0 likes, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey Susan

Glad to hear things are improving for you.  How long since you had the op? I had mine 7 days ago.  Eye still sore and I have ghosting of images whcih I think is getting slightly more noticeable and longer distance on things like say road signs or nunber plates. My distance and imtermediate vision is not that good and I will likely need glasses.  Not sure what to expect in terms of how long it will take things to settle down.  i think that the inlamation in my eye (which is what one of the sets of drops is for, the steroid) is related to the double vision or ghosting as I call it.  Perhaps this will settle as time goes on. Who knows.

• Posted

Im noticing it settling diwn. Halos have gone. Small pinpoint lights ..like on internet modem have ghosting. Difficult to focus somtimes on smaller objects while still waiting for second eye to be done. I have bad myopia anyway and so bad eye sees nearer better than good eye but not sane distance vision. Also depends on lighting and angles.
    • Posted

Hi Mike, as you will see from this site just about everyone has different symptoms after surgery, occasionally there will be similarity of symptoms.

Your op of 7 days ago is in its early stages, I had my first op June 2016, my eye was very very sore for 4 days then settled down a bit and was A OK before I had my second one done in Aug 2016.  My second eye still isnt good, again I had dreadful pain for 5 days that time, the sight is oK in both eyes but they both have a heavy, gritty feeling and my second eye that was done is a bit sore when closed.  Every now and then I get a slight clouding over the eye.

When I think back apart from the pain I had I had distorted vision down the left side of my second operated eye, that too has settled.

You know its such a delicate operation to such a sensative part of the body its only natural that t wont be straightforward, I spoke to people that had had the op or know of someone who had the op and they all said it was straightforward and painless!!!!!!!!!!!!! what rubbish

Someone may know why you are having ghosting and you should ask the consultant or optician about this they can reassure or suggest what is wrong.

Please let us know how the next few days are for you and if you have spoken to one of the above

Regards Agnes

• Posted

"I spoke to people that had had the op or know of someone who had the op and they all said it was straightforward and painless!!!!!!!!!!!!! what rubbish"

I'm not sure what you mean by "rubbish" but the vast majority of people who have cataract surgery have a terrific experience.  Unfortunately, some people will have complications, in many cases minor and easily resolved, but in some cases more severe and quite difficult to solve.  If you are someone who experiences complications, I'm sure it's not comforting to know that you are in the minority, but that doesn't mean that the people you asked who said they had no problems were lying.  They were just in the lucky majority, while you are in the unlucky minority.

• Posted

Yes me and everyone on this site are unlucky, where is

the page with all the successful ones then, I didnt say they were lying, I think they just wanted to comfort me so that I wouldnt worry about what was ahead

• Posted

Thankyou for that.  I certainly beleive that everyones experiences are probably very different but with much overlap.  Its good to hear that it can take a while to settle down.  The ghosting is not that bad really its just just not perfect and I would say not as good as the day after surgery.  I suppose I will have to see how things go.

• Posted

Yes Mike all the op affect everyone differently, sometimes there are similar symptoms and its good to discuss all the ins and outs of them, hope your sight improves,  Please keep intouch and let us all know

Regards Agnes

• Posted

Can i just add to above ...in my experience in any op each individual has their own expectations whether through previous knowledge base or assumptions. This is what they often measure the comfort or otherwise of a procedure and outcome. Each will have valid concerns. Any op has the risk of failure or complications regardless of how goid the surgeon and team are. People are individuals and as such we are all unique in every way. T is important to recognise and acknowledge individual expectations...any possible shortcomings and it is how the outcome is dealt with by the team involved as to how disatisfied or accepting anyone is of the outcome.For example in my case i was dreading the op through fear of the unknown as well as a working knowledge of possible complications and shortcomings of this type of op. Infact for me the uncomfirtabke painful part was the light from above during the procedure due to my eyes sensitivity to light. This was much wirse for the second eye. Although it was the same surgeon he had a different team. The nurse supposed to reassure me during the procedure was unaware of my issue and so told me rather harshly to stop moving my feet. An automatic refkex to stop myself moving my head to try and avoid the light. However the surgeon immediately berated her very softly by saying it wasnt an issue as he hadnt started the procedure yet. He also rnentioned that he was aware of how difficult i had found it last time and that i had shaken much more profusely. He also even placed his hand infront of the light source for me while i settled. So as you see it is the trust between patient surgeon and the team which can have a much more positive effect on any outcome. Knowing you were listened to..understood..and acknowledged counts gor such a lot.
  • Posted

Home from second op. As i couldnt quite manage seeing car number plate from 25paces...whose size paces im not sure!...a stronger lens than originally planned was agreed upon for second eye op.

I can see much clearer into distance which is good. My near sight is satisfactory in my first eye but notice that near sight with second eye op isnt as near. However this is not uncomfortable and means i can see tv more clearly post op. Hopefully nearsight blurring will settle with time but not concerned as im sure over countr reading glasses will suffice though may neef prescription reading glasses if not. Surgeon felt tgat this way i would nit need prescription distance ones as well. He also felt my myopia in my right eye may have worsened slightly from initial consultation...which it had. I am not concerned as it is not an exact science and near and distance vision with new eyes idps ok for me. Re op theuncomfortable bit was the bright light due to my being photophobic anyway

• Posted

Also..my eyelahes are gummed up from solution used but im sure it will clean up with time
    • Posted

Hi Susan, you are such a star, well done for you perserverance, you are doing really weel and an inspiration to those who have to have it done, please keep us up to date with how you are

Regards Agnes

• Posted

Anyone else had gummed up eyelashes from op?..if so did you need to work at freeing them with care or did they eventually soften up. Feels like they are clogged hard !!
    • Posted

Hi Susan, did they tell you to bathe your eyes with boiled water cooled, well just warm, with cotton wool little round pads that tesco sell at the makeup counter £1 for a pack of 100, use one for each eye and only rub from the inside of the eye outward and VERY gently, do this as ofter as possible, you should have been doing it from day one.  Have you not spoken to them about it in case its an infection.  What I am advising wont do you any harm and my help

Regards Agnes

• Posted

No actually they didnt. Not at all. When he was finishing he said he was having trouble washing all the viscose???out.?? I did say i ouldnt see. He said it was because my eyelid was still shut. They explained that i had a layer of gel still covering my eye which would clear too. It did and i know it is this which has made my lashes seem brittle and clumped together. I didnt have any of this with first eye. Did wonder about trying to gently bathe the eyelashes in the way you say but already as my eye lubricates itse

f i am aware the lashes are softening. If it doesnt continue to do so i will have a go. Thankyou.

• Posted

By the way...the nurse who I saw at my first op said I may find my eye would become more blurred once home also said i may find that my second eye may well be more blurred postt op than i noticed for my first op. How right she was. When i told her how grateful i was for the warning she said she too had had both her cataracts done a year earlier and found this to be the case. I said what a difference it made knowing she was able to speak from her own experience and how reassuring it was to know that someone had totally been there and so understood exactly the emotions I was feeling. Ie the worries fears and elation!
    • Posted

Hi Susan, did she say how long it took after her ops for the blurring to stop and was she OK afterwards, re her sight, and you too, has the blurring stopped, how is your first eye, and how is your sight  Im asking not for myself but I am sure there will be others with you problem and this would be so good to know

Regards Agnes

• Posted

All i can say is that everyone is different. She didnt say how long it took for her blurring to go. My first eye ended up with less distance than surgeon hoped for..hence my awareness of blurriness as i was aware of slight loss of distance vision. However he said this would be due to level of my own myopia. All i can say is that the second eye has achieved much better clarity and distance. This was because he listened to me and put a stronger lens in than he had p

Lanned to in my second eye. His concern was to avoid my need for both short and distance prescribed glasses. I am grateful to him for this as i will now only need prescription reading glasses due to the differring nearsightedness in each eye. I am so happy to have full distance vision which superseeded my prescription glassea of late. These experts know what they are doing despite their ibsistence it is not an exact sience due to everyone having individual eye issues if you get my drift. The wonder of waking up and not needing glasses to see beyond end of my nose is wonderful!

• Posted

Interestingly the nurse said shed opted for varifocal replcement lenss and chose a consultant who did theses as not all surgeons will. She explained that the surgeon tried to persuade her against this option as she would have had to see him regularly if any complications arise which in such lenses are not reversible in any way. However she says there were no problems encountered.
    • Posted

Sorry about typo errors...part of my loss of very close nearsightedness until my glasses can be sorted..hope it is understandable though. In a paragraph earlier a sentence started with T. Hopefully people will realise the i of It was missing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.