Cataracts due to prednisone

Posted , 13 users are following.

Scheduled for cataract surgery next week. I've never had problems with cataracts before medrol. Now they must be removed, both eyes. I'd be interested in other's experience with lens replacement.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

After very high doses of prednisolone, I developed cateracts. Surgery was painless, didn't feel a thing. Now got eye sight of a teenager and do not need to wear glasses for long distance, just use cheap glasses if I am reading for a long time. Good luck.

Pat

• Posted

I'm SOOOOOO jealous! I would love to chuck away my distance specs and only need specs for reading. But I have no sign of cataracts after 8 years on pred. It is hard to be grateful for not having a side effect redface

• Posted

This is a coincidence. I had cataracts diagnosed yesterday. Have been on prednisilone for 3/1/2 years. I hope there is not a long waiting list for surgery

Good to read of your experience Pat.

Best wishes

Caroline

• Posted

I had PMR for 2 years. Although I check my eyes more often now, dr said that there was no change and condition of my eyes and they are normal for the age - there is no induced cataract because of prednisone.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with GCA in July 2016 and have been on Predisone subsequently.  I have read that Prednisone can accelerate the cataract situation and indeed in May of 2017 I had cataract surgery---first one eye and then the other 3 weeks later.  Apart from having my eyelashes pulled out (at least I have no other way of explaining what happened to them!), I now have decent vision (the distance is better for sure) and the eyelashes are slowing returning.  

I chose the standard lenses because I didn't want to deal with any complications that might arise from the more sophisticated lenses and I am quite content with my choice.  I'd rather deal with an eyeglass prescription than problems with an unknown quantity which the other lenses are.   I've worn eyeglasses for years and don't find them a problem.  Also one can opt for contact lenses.  At 79 I didn't want to mess with any possible complications.  I think you'll be pleased with the cataract procedure.  Good luck.

• Posted

Me too! I couldn't understand why my sight (in both eyes) had suddenly become so bad, on occasions with double-vision. My GP suggested an eye-test. The Optician asked if I was on Steroid medication, I have been on 30 mg tapering to 17.5 mg since February this year and now have cataracts in both eyes! On top of everything else, now I really do feel old. 

• Posted

I have a friend whose daughter was born with mild cataracts which are progessing slowly - she is now about 8.
  • Posted

I'd be interested, too as I'm at the stage of needing same op according to optometrist. I've had cataract in both eyes for at least nineteen years and feel lucky to have reached this stage only now as I was on pred. for eight years altogether.

Are you having both done on the same day? I'm in UK and, as far as I can discover, we are treated one eye at a time.

Two cousins have had theirs done and are ecstatic; just need reading specs now as distance is 20/20 they say Can that really be true?

Hope all goes well and please come back and let us know.

• Posted

I don't think you'd ever have both eyes done at the same tome. They wait until your vision is functioning in the first eye before doing the second, otherwise you'd be effectively blind for a couple of days and visually disabled a bit longer....

• Posted

Thank you. The not driving will be a bit of a pain but I do have good friends.

My old vet. had both hips done together!!!

• Posted

I never had any eye problems, only wore reading glasses.  Now I have corneal edema...I blame pmr... and worsening cataracts...I blame the prednisone.  

When I have cataract surgery, I will have the least complicated procedure possible...good luck to you...

• Posted

Thanks, all, for replies. Here in Fla, USA, they do one eye, then another after a week. I only know of two friends who have had a problem. (None of my acquaintances also have PMR or are on steroids.)

I'm leaning toward the simpler lens. I'm 83 and am unsure if my focusing muscles would work.

If anyone has chosen the focusing lens I would like to hear about it.

• Posted

Hi Philoso4,

I had cataracts and removal before PMR. I had the focusing lenses put in and do not wear glasses at all. One must pay extra for these as Medicare only pays for the "standard" intraocular lenses. However, on prednisone and steroid inhalers my eyes got drier making them blurry. That is very annoying so I need eye lubricants more often. I am also tapering the inhalers and that helps. I am on 8.75 pred now tapering to 8.5-slails pace.

I am 75 diagnosed Dec 2015.

• Posted

I too had cataract removal, with standard lens inserted, a few years before PMR,  The  operation is not difficult.   I agree that pred makes the eyes dry and needing drops.  I am tapering from 5 1/2mgs to 5 snails pace.  Diagnosed Jan 2016. started on 15 mgs.  I am 79.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.