Cataracts due to prednisone

Posted , 13 users are following.

Scheduled for cataract surgery next week. I've never had problems with cataracts before medrol. Now they must be removed, both eyes. I'd be interested in other's experience with lens replacement.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Having GCA for 7 years and all the usual consequences and side effects of the illness and treatment having cataract surgery was a bonus. Pat

• Posted

Hi I don't know if this helps but in June this year I had to have both my cataracts repaired they grew very fast in a year , I wasn't in press then but turns out I have had pmr for last year but only diagnosed 3 weeks ago ! I have read that when your esr is high it can affect your eyes so may be mine was the pmr that caused mine! I had the op I'm early 60's I was so scared but it was the easiest one I have had! And couldn't wait to get the second one three weeks later! My eyesight is great for now just reading glasses. I would like to ask though I have been started on 40 mg of preds I have noticed a improvement in neck arm hips legs but back still not right, is this a normal dose ? Good luck with your eyes .

• Posted

not for PMR, it is too high. Usually the starting dose is between 12.5 and 25mg.. I am average height and I started with 15mg. When you start low, it may take few days to notice the improvement.
    • Posted

Hi Thank you for telling me that, I don't know why my gp has started me on a high dose, but I have more test in 2 weeks, so I will speak to them again, I have noticed a good response with my arms shoulders, neck etc but just my back so might be an old injury joining in, but most people seem to have high for a few weeks then the dr reduces, they all seem to have different ideas .

• Posted

You shouldn't stay at 40mg for long - it is a very high dose for PMR, it is a dose used for GCA, and you should be starting to reduce to look for the lowest dose that works well.  If you still have back pain after 3 weeks at 40mg I'd suggest it isn't PMR but another back muscle problem - something called myofascial pain syndrome is common alongside PMR but doesn't respond as quickly or as well to oral pred. A physio may be able to help though.

• Posted

Thank you I am going to ring and try to speak to her re dose, but I do think she thinks I might have an underline problem as well, I have a load more  blood etc tests to have next week, I think the pmr is in my neck shoulders arm which has improved, the back I have an old surgery which could be being aggravated, hope fully it will get sorted . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.